Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30. The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and retired to their room.

However, the manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He promptly called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men. When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

The Problem: Each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29. Where did the extra dollar go?

This one took me a little while to solve but after a while of thinking i found out. You get nothing for solving it, but it's a pretty cool riddle.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Its not really a riddle, so much as a story with a lie at the end.

The last part that says: "Each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27" That does equal 27 but the 27 includes the 2 dollar tip (25+2). It makes no sense to add it again to get 29. You get 27 and they each got their 3 dollars back (30-3). So the sum of what they paid is 27 not 29.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Well there's only one day to do it right, so it makes sense that our answers were similar.

D

·
0 Posts
i just worked it backwards.. 30-3-2 and saw that they double counted the tip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts