Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my brother. His computer is too slow to run the games he wants and doesn't have a DVD drive. So, he saved up about $1,000 and wants me to take him out to see what he can get. I haven't been keeping up with what the minimum for a good system is, so:

What would you guys recommend as far as specs? (How much ram, hd space, ect)

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No moniter or anything. Just the CPU.

I prefer AMD and a non-intigrated graphics card, but other than that I don't know what is good out there now.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I got my tower and what's in it for just around 600. I'll list my stuff and he can upgrade where needed (a NICE case wouldn't hurt.)

ASUS A8N-E motherboard (wouldn't hurt to upgrade to one of the SLI boards...but I didn't need it)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (3700 and 3800+'s are only like 30 bucks more I think)
1GB DDR 3200 ram with heat spreaders (could probably spring for a full 2GB with that budget)
PNY Verto GeForce 6600GT (depends on what he wants with graphics...)
120GB SATA 3.0GB/s hard drive (GET SATA 3.0GB/s!)
GIGABYTE CD-RW/DVD-rom combo drive

I'm assuming he's going to run windows XP, so leave a little room to purchase that. I'd suggest building one on his own over buying a pre-built in EVERY way. It will save you money and perform better.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you're buying piece by piece and building it, wait. Or even if you're not still wait.

By the end of this month amd will have their price drops (and intel has conroe coming out of course). I reccomend waiting until at least until early august before buying.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
WOO
390 Posts
OhRLY said:
1,000 with a monitor? or without?

Wait for the Conroe(if it hasn't already) to come out, that way amd 64's are gonna drop in price and pick one of those up.

At least a gig of RAM, I'd get at least a 120 gig hdd.

Intel or AMD or does he not care?
lol ^ conroe is 1k

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Yeah I was checking out Conroe and it's...wow.

I think AMD will make a comeback swing, though. They still have a core of dedicated buyers I think.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I think Intel has that coming, too.

Yeah, prices have already dropped some places. I'm considering selling mine and picking up a 939 3800+ with 1MB L2. I don't need it, but, meh.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
TonyD said:
I think Intel has that coming, too.

Yeah, prices have already dropped some places. I'm considering selling mine and picking up a 939 3800+ with 1MB L2. I don't need it, but, meh.
Who cares if you need it. It's all about making your e-penis bigger than the next guy's.

Thankfully after I sell my promaster I'll have enough for the processor I want and I'll be done building :hug:

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Haha, exactly!

I have an "older" 3500+, but getting a brand new 3800+ would make me hotstudextraordinaire!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts