Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Watch the movie Primer. Most realistic version of how time travel would work. You'll need to watch it like 3 times though.

Theoretically, if you stood just outside the apex of a black hole for a some time and then escaped, quite a bit of time would have passed with you remaining un-aged.

D

·
0 Posts
If it is possible, I don't think it should ever be used.

12 Monkeys was an interesting one too.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Watch the movie Primer. Most realistic version of how time travel would work. You'll need to watch it like 3 times though.

Theoretically, if you stood just outside the apex of a black hole for a some time and then escaped, quite a bit of time would have passed with you remaining un-aged.
that would work too. The theroy of relativity at it's best:) but it's impossible with the technology we have.

·
Yay! whoops! yay!
3,028 Posts
The biggest evidence against the theory of time travel is that we've never run into anyone from another time period. If it were ever possible in the future, all periods of time would have reports of people from another time period.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
The biggest evidence against the theory of time travel is that we've never run into anyone from another time period. If it were ever possible in the future, all periods of time would have reports of people from another time period.
unless they blend in:)
tghe black hole idea sends you forward in time though, doesn't it?
If you think about it, going into something that's already happened isn't possible.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree. backwards time travel is impossible, but i think forward time traveling is possible. You would need a way to halt/severely slow down the movement of atoms (absolute zero), hold it there for a time, and then get the atoms moving again at the exact same speed they were before they were "frozen." to the person this happens to, they are stuck in a permanent past until unfrozen, at which point they will have remained almost unchanged while the universe around them would have changed. the same amount of time would have changed for both, but the "time traveler" would remain unaffected by external energy. you would have to very quickly freeze a person, isolate them from ALL external sources (the exact reason why no one has achieved absolute zero) and then quickly unfreeze them at a later date.

I believe that time travel backwards is impossible, unless there was some way to map the exact actions of every single atom in the universe. If we could, you could map which atom moved at what velocity and in which direction (and you would have to worry about reactions and stuff like that), then you could exact the polar opposite of each force against each atom, thus forcing broken chains back together and splitting newly formed chains apart. theoretically it would be possible, but in reality the logistics of it are just too impossible.

1 in infinity, basically, are your chances of traveling backwards through time.

D

·
0 Posts
Mhm, however they could have come back but just missed our timespan. It would be a pretty impossible thing to execute with total accuracy and since humanity is just a tiny tiny spec in the time line of the world, it would be pretty hard for them to land in our time frame, let alone a time frame in which their presence might have been documented.

Also, with Nietzsche's points in his analogy, of the old man running into the market place and yelling that god is dead but then realizes he's come too soon, those who came back might have been passed off as crazy, institutionalized and never heard from/documented.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but your body doesn't age because the molecules do not move at all at absolute zero. so in a sense it is time travel. time on earth will stay the same, and so will it with your body, it just won't have the effects it does on everyone else.

·
I'm a big soft teddy bear
3,675 Posts
time is just a concept that we define as humans. one cannot really go back nor forward through it.

those theories with black holes and traveling at the speed of light may be possible, but it would not really be true time travel as we perceive it. it would merely be contrasting rates... kind of like contrasting times for someone in Europe vs. us in the western hemisphere.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Why are several of you so opposed to TT to the past... shows a large misunderstanding/lack of knowledge of Phyics. It is just as "plausible" as TT to the future. Don't really feel like typing it out right now I'm quite tired, haha.

·
Uhh... I slay Dogfish
594 Posts
Time travel in the past is unfathomable at best. Just try to grasp the concept.... Trippy. However, impossibe is I believe a closed minded thing to say. For now, it is, but who knows where we will go, or what we will find in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts