Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Media giant Viacom Inc. said its Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central and 16 other channels will go dark at 12:01 a.m. because of a "dispute" with TWC and Brighthouse. They're the second largest cable provider in the US, serving primarily people in New York state, the Carolinas, Ohio, Southern California and Texas.

The channels that would be affected are: Comedy Central, CMT: Pure Country, Logo, Palladia, MTV, MTV 2, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, MTV Tr3s, Nickelodeon, Noggin, Nick 2, Nicktoons, Spike, The N, TV Land, VH1, VH1 Classic, and VH1 Soul.

I don't know if any of you are in to these channels or shows, but huh. Pretty interesting.

Time Warner Cable Loses Viacom: MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central To Go Dark
Time Warner may cut ‘Colbert,’ ‘Spongebob’ - Television- msnbc.com

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Here are the numbers you call to DEMAND these channels stay on.

Time Warner Cable--- 1-800-762-3786

BrightHouse--- 1-866-309-3279

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Here are the numbers you call to DEMAND these channels stay on.

Time Warner Cable--- 1-800-762-3786

BrightHouse--- 1-866-309-3279
Are you kidding me? This is probably one of the greatest things to ever happen in the history of TV, and you want to bring these channels back? Half of these channels are the reason why the American people are the way they are.

We should be celebrating.

*Edit* Not to mention Toy Soldier, the cost gets past down to US, the consumers, so why would you want to have your fees raise?

-Jin

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Well, alot of people like TV and im only giving info.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just playing devil's advocate here, but the increase would be less than 25 cents per month. Considering TWC subscribers spend a fifth of their cable time on average (a stat from Time Warner, not me) watching Viacom programming, and Viacom's fees make up around 2.5% of the cable bill, it doesn't seem TOO bad.

Besides, if you can afford a TWC subscription anyway, a 25 cent increase shouldn't phase you too much. If anything, it's the principle of the matter that would piss some one off.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate here, but the increase would be less than 25 cents per month. Considering TWC subscribers spend a fifth of their cable time on average (a stat from Time Warner, not me) watching Viacom programming, and Viacom's fees make up around 2.5% of the cable bill, it doesn't seem TOO bad.

Besides, if you can afford a TWC subscription anyway, a 25 cent increase shouldn't phase you too much. If anything, it's the principle of the matter that would piss some one off.
I agree. It's not really about the cost - we got rid of TWC probably a year ago, and haven't looked back since. Between broadcast channels and the internet (TV shows, movies, etc) we haven't missed it.

I'm just thrilled to think these channels will actually be off the air in certain places, even if it's only for a little while. I am curious why TWC is putting up such a fuss though, as they didn't care about raising fees at any other time.

-Jin

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. It's not really about the cost - we got rid of TWC probably a year ago, and haven't looked back since. Between broadcast channels and the internet (TV shows, movies, etc) we haven't missed it.

I'm just thrilled to think these channels will actually be off the air in certain places, even if it's only for a little while. I am curious why TWC is putting up such a fuss though, as they didn't care about raising fees at any other time.

-Jin
Oh yes. MTV would also stop broadcasting their shows online as well.

And yeah, they usually don't have a problem raising fees. But I think it's like this b/c of the size of Viacom. I mean think about it. Viacom has 17 channels on TWC. On all of those channels, they have a "you wont have this channel anymore, call now to demand that TWC keep this channel!" marquee.

This kind of thing probably happens all the time with other channels, but it's usually "behind the scenes." Viacom is just bringing it out.

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
This kind of thing probably happens all the time with other channels, but it's usually "behind the scenes." Viacom is just bringing it out.
i blame the econimic recession. Maybe most of these "hissy fits" are part of advertisements.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
If this happens, I'm dropping Time Warner and going to DirectTV. I ****ing hate Time Warner anyways. I watch some of those channels all the time. Mainly just Nick at Nite and Comedy Central.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
So Viacom is doing this just for exposure? I don't think so.
No, but TWC probably is. Well, not exposure. But think about it - their rates have been going up for years, and now we're in a recession. Many people are probably considering switching to dish or getting rid of their cable all together. Now all of a sudden you hear in the news about how TWC is fighting against the big bad media company so they can keep YOUR prices down. It makes them look good. Well, until you learn that it's a matter of pennies a year, and then remember how TWC raises their rates every year.

Nice try, Time Warner.

-Jin

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, good point. Although it is interesting that Viacom threatened to pull off from TWC, not the other way around. So either TWC met the demands or called the bluff.

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts