Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you guys. I always see tons of shockers and timmys on pbnation. Seams like in every bst thread someone is offering to trade one. Though no one wants them. Can I have a run down on each gun? Why do so many people own them but no one wants to buy them?

Thanks guys

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
They're both older markers. They both shoot fine, but they're bigger, heavier, and not as shiny as the current markers. Parts for them are starting to get to be hard to find.

It's the classic spool valve vs Poppet valve comparison.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not trying to compare them. I just wanna know if there quality guns and whys there's so many people trying to sell and trade them on the nation.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
simply because there were thousands and thousands of them being used 5-10 years ago. Now everyone has moved on to the new markers.

IMO shockers are junk, they shoot, but they're not designed very well. They did win a ton of pro tournaments, though,

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Yes, Smart Parts offered them to anyone who would take them. The issues with Shockers when stock are:

Low QC. They really are quite cheaply made, so this causes the anno to fade quickly, and also causes them to sometimes leak for no reason, or suddenly stop shooting for no reason.

single regulated balanced spool. In theory, this should allow it to not have FSDO or shoot down since it's using full operating pressure to cycle. However, due to issue #1, it doesn't work. They STILL have major issues with FSDO and shootdown if they're not PERFECTLY set up, oftentimes even worse than dual regulated spools that use a mere 60-100 psi to cycle.

Dual board. Upper board that the eyes and noid attaches to, and then it attaches to the lower board. More parts to break. Yay.

Cricket board is garbage. Programming it is just dumb, and it doesn't support PROPER tournament modes without fine tuning your bps by raising your dwell to prevent it from cycling fast enough to go over. that's just dumb.

Trigger is all kinds of bad. Not just a bad shape, but also ergonomically laid out very poorly. While replacing the trigger will fix the trigger shape itself, there's nothing that you can do other than get an aftermarket frame to fix the issue with the poor design.

The stock reg requires a deep well socket to repair. And at best, it's only a middle of the road reg performance wise.

That said, if you spend enough money on a Shocker, it CAN be made to shoot nicely. Some of the better aftermarket bolts (Eigenbolt ecspecially, but also the pooty bolt) are made with DRASTICALLY superior QC, and allow you to drop your dwell and operating pressure a lot (my Shocker with Eigen went from 220 psi/16 ms dwell to 160 psi/12 ms dwell with that one change). Tons of boards avaialble, although this only replaces the main board, not the upper board. Nothing you can do about that upper board being there. Lots of aftermarket regs available. Critical trigger actually is a very good trigger, and does it's best to make the trigger nice given the massive handicap it has with the design. I actually REALLY like shooting it with the Critical trigger.

As far as Timmies, not a fan of stacked poppets myself so I won't comment on that.

·
Redneck Paintball
709 Posts
Ok since i have owned both i will add and argue against what miller has said.
The shocker is a decent gun for its time. It might not have been as quality as other markers but they were also priced 500 lower than the next best thing. That 500 can be put to some good use. $750 to buy a new sft/nxt shocker, $100 for a upgraded board, $100 for a nicer bolt, and $50 for a upgraded regulator. So for still $200 less than the dms, egos, and timmys of the time the shockers could be made to shoot as nice if not better than its competition.
On the other hand timmys were easily leaps and bounds better than the early egos. They shot better and were more efficient by every means. They were considered by most to be the best poppet from 02-06. The timmys had plenty of private labels and were a great gun.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the makers of shockers went under ad that's why there not around anymore. But why aren't There new Timmy's? Or did bob long discontinue and start a new series of markers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts