Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my custom paint job. I plan on using green and brown spray paint, is that a good idea? i have a Tippmann 98 w/ 20 inch barrel and stock.

·
Omally
10 Posts
Hey 1st of all im new to paintball but I am a painter. As far as a painter no bad idea will scrape also cause heat retention. U would have to use a paint called DTM stands for dirext to metal. U will also need a hvlp to spray properly. My advise would be to anadize it what ever colour u wish. Cheaper in long run and will last u forever hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey 1st of all im new to paintball but I am a painter. As far as a painter no bad idea will scrape also cause heat retention. U would have to use a paint called DTM stands for dirext to metal. U will also need a hvlp to spray properly. My advise would be to anadize it what ever colour u wish. Cheaper in long run and will last u forever hope this helps.
OK man, thanks.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Actually...

If I recall correctly, the Tippmann's are made of cast aluminum parts
Anodizing DOES NOT work well with cast metal because of all the micro-imperfections in the surface

Since it's a Tippmann, I wouldn't worry about anything like making it look super awesome.
Get some steel wool or a wire brush head for a dremel, prep the body down to bare metal, clean well with alcohol or acetone, and use either Duracoat or spraypaint made for metal

If spray painting, make sure to get metal primer, allow adequate drying time between coats (a few hours depending on the paint, temp, and the humidity) and at least 4 coats of clearcoating for protection.

Don't forget to block off all the places you don't want paint in!

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Was my understanding that they would take anodize but not very well. The color won't be very even and such.

Use the best paint you can find, good primer, and the best possible prep work. If there's one part you don't fool around on, make it the prep work.

I used automotive paint on mine through an airbrush. It's help up really well over the years, although some brands of paintballs seemed to stain the clearcoat.

Duracoat or a spray-on then bake-on finish would be more ideal if you have to do it at home and you have the equipment to do it. If not, powder coat is an option also although more expensive since you won't likely be doing it at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts