Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum.
I was going to get a new barrel most likely for my Tippmann 98c. I know the two most common barrels to get are the 14 inch and the 16 inch, but which barrel would you prefer, and suggest that I purchase? And are there any preferences in brand? Right now, I have a basic 98 custom with no other attachments. Are there any other attachments that anybody would recommend getting before a barrel? By the way, this is for woodsball.
Alright Thanks everybody,
Zacattack95

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
cant really beat a J&J ceramic at $30 in value, they are great barrels, for a tippmann id go 14, they are already long markers as is and a long barrel on it doesnt help matters any.

i wouldnt bother with anything else for a entry level marker, nomatter how much money you sink into it it will not be worth it in the long run, if you want more performance after the barrel it is better to save money for a mid range marker, however you can get a nice hopper and HPA tank, since those can go onto whichever marker you get next it doesnt matter if you spend a lot of money on them

·
Registered
20 Posts
The JJ ceramic really can't be beat. This is what I was going to get on my marker. However after doing some hunting I realized I could put together a nice 2 piece used for the same price. I ended up with a 12" all american front and freak back+ 1 insert for 35$ which is about the same as a JJ. Now further down the road when I get a different gun if it is different threading I will just sell the back and get one for my other gun and hopefully won't take a loss.

Whichever route you take I am sure you will find that most aftermarket barrels offer about the same amount of improvement.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
The thing that J&J barrels do is clean themselves after having a barrel break or chop

If you have a barrel break or chop in a FREAK setup, you'll need to squeegie
If you have a barrel break or chop with a J&J barrel, after about 3 shots you're shooting straight again

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
^^^ i wouldnt say its 100% clean after any amount of shots but still the J&J will clean out breaks better than any other barrel i have found, if your in a firefight and you have a barrel break with a J&J you can keep playing, with anything else if you can fall back to clean your barrel you should, if you are in a place where you cant, your pretty much hosed unless you get lucky

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Yup, when I get barrel breaks with my J&J barrels, they never slow me down
A few more shots and I'm shooting straight again

With everything else, I always have to swab the barrel

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Flatlines give you more range but not usable range. The further the ball travels the slower it is going so that if you actually hit someone the ball is very unlikely to break. Flatlines are also finicky about paint and velocity and too brittle a paint and every ball will break in the barrel and too high or low a velocity and The Flatline effect won't work properly. To me it is way more effective to move up the field with a regular good quality barrel to make an elimination than it is to sit back and hope for a lucky hit with a Flatline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts