Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
High you may or may not remember me from trying to figure out what gun i wanted a while back. Ok first things first.

I have purchased a Tippmann 98 Custom ACT (not a pro)
And am looking to upgrade for woodsball and speedball.

I wish to spend around £150-200 on upgrades

I was thinking of getting:
New Barrel (was thinking one of the sniper 12-16" ones)
Trigger Response Kit
Double Trigger
New Hopper to go with TR kit to ramp up BPS

I am asking for your help and opinions on my "Maybe" upgrades before i go and purchase them.

Are these good upgrades for a 98C?

Can i get better products then the ones listed?

Is there a better loadout i can get?

Can you reccommend a decent hopper to go with the TR kit to ramp up my BPS to around 14-16bps?

Many Thanks in Advance
Will

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I wouldn't advise the RT. I have one, and its fun, but isn't allowed in tournaments and some fields don't allow them at all.

Get one with the E-grip if possible- It'll be quick enough for your needs and is legal everywhere as long as its in Semi auto.

New barrel, good choice. 12-16" is perfect. Might want to keep it on the short side because of how long the gun is already.

Double trigger...almost a 'must have' for an E-grip. Up to you if you get the RT though.

Any hopper would be good really. A Revvy can keep up fairly well and is cheap light and reliable.

Can you get a better loadout? You can always get a better loadout.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wouldn't advise the RT. I have one, and its fun, but isn't allowed in tournaments and some fields don't allow them at all.

Get one with the E-grip if possible- It'll be quick enough for your needs and is legal everywhere as long as its in Semi auto.

New barrel, good choice. 12-16" is perfect. Might want to keep it on the short side because of how long the gun is already.

Double trigger...almost a 'must have' for an E-grip. Up to you if you get the RT though.

Any hopper would be good really. A Revvy can keep up fairly well and is cheap light and reliable.

Can you get a better loadout? You can always get a better loadout.
Thats some good info. the hopper however if u wanna go up on the price range from left over money i would go with a halo hopper. so far those are the best ones ive had. there are all kinds like motion sensor and regular feed. they actually push the ball down instead of spinning it and gravity dropping it.thumup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there, thanks for the reply, hmm i definately need something that is torny legal, so a RT is a no go. Thanks for the help on that or i would of been screwed:D But ive heard an E-Grip can only be fitted on a 98 Custom Pro, i have a 98 Custom. Is it possible to get an E-Grip for a normal 98C?

Could you reccomend a good Halo Hopper for me? Thanks

And ill keep the barrel short, a 12" it is. God dammit this forum is helpfull!:D

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
If you get the chance, pop your gun open and look at the inside of the grip area. From what I get told, most of the newer 98's share the same casting as the custom pro, so the E-grip shouldn't be a problem.

Halo TSA series is almost just like a Revvy- Not force fed, but it is sound activated. Nice hopper.
The Halo B series is the faster of the lineup, most expensive, and force fed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well really any halo hopper is a good one but something like the Halo B rip drive. about $150. like i said they are all good but the cost quite a bit. here is another:pB272 HALO B HoPPeR + Victory Board
thumup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah ive been looking at the TSA's and the max is 15bps which is still pretty good, especially for a 98 and a woodsball/scenario player like me. And here in the UK you can get one for £30!SWEET.

So so far its gonna be:
HALO TSA
12" Tippmann Sniper Barrel
Double Trigger
Victory Board/E-Grip

This victory board? Can someone give me some info on it, like modes, performance, reliablity etc.. Thanks

Also since i think im gonna have some money left, is there any cosmetic upgrades that make it look cool?...lol. Like a new grip with different colours and stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
i dont know to much on the moding of the victory board. but cosmetic you can get new grips, expansion chamber. those are $50 for performance and looks. you can get a stock

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does the expansion chamber do? and does it looks nice, could you give me a link to a nice one maybe? And a link to a nice looking grip? Thanks

And could someone please tell me anything about the vitory board if you are viewing this thread? Thanks

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
My 98 has the WAS board e-grip and I can out shoot revvys (I had a TSA and it could not keep up) and on a good day an egg2 has problems keeping up with it. If your planning on playing speedball, the WAS board is a sweet upgrade.

I also have an expantion chamber. What it does is it allows your CO2 room to expand into its gas form. This is important if your going to be shooting fast becouse it will help make your shoots more accurate and give you better gas efficency.

For a speedball 98 i recomend
WAS board e-grip
Double trigger
Expantion Chamber (or lp system if you have $)
Barrel kit.
pen spring trigger mod
Possibly an nicer feedneck(again on if you have $ because it is not needed)

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
I would recommend a few differnt thing but your almost have the right idea. The trigger and the RT are both good upgrades but the RT is banned from most Tournaments and a few feilds so check a head be for you buy.

Barrel
I would recommend a barrel Kit with a few back to get you started. The two bores that I use the most are .685 and .687 but it may be different for you based on the paint you get. As for the length of the barrel it depends on the position you play cause for example, when I play as a front man I tend use a 14" front So that I can move a little faster. While if I am a back man I use an 18" so that I can push the bunker some on an Airball field. A good kits I would recommend are the Freak and and the Freak Jr. because if/when you get a new gun, you just need to to buy a new back for the new guns threads and can keep all your fronts and Inserts.

Hoper
For the 98c a Evolution 2 or a Revy should be a good start because it can keep up with 98 even with a Response trigger Installed. But if you want to spend the extra, go for a Halo B with rip drive so that you have the extra speed for your next gun.

Air System
Installation of a Regulator is a good idea because it will help the constancy of the gun from shot to shot both in aim and velocity. A good reg to look for the is the Plamers Stabelizer because is is one of the few Omni gas regs meaning that it will work with Co2 and HPA. But the best thing you can do is to switch to a HPA system because does not have the same problems as using co2. One of the other benefits of a HPA system is that your gun will not freeze up when it is cold out or under high rates of fire.

Home mods
There a few home mods that I have done and made write ups for in my sig. The best one you can do off the bat is to polish the internals.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
POST DELETED
EDIT: LOL we posted at exact same time, nice post above by the way, good info, thanks:D

How much is a WAS board, i cant find one here in the UK, well on the interet anyway...

·
Registered
186 Posts
the expansion chamber saves CO2 and stops spiking in the velocity. it also keeps the liquid CO2 out of your gun. there fore less chance of freezing parts in your gun, gives the liquid more time to evaporate into a gas form. thumup:

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
How much is a WAS board, i cant find one here in the UK, well on the interet anyway...
Your not going to beable to use the was board because of the United Kingdom's Gun laws make it illegal because of the firing modes.

The WAS board has 3-shot and Full auto modes so it is considered Illegal to have them. This is the reason the Ion Has US and UK versions of the stock board.

More info on the UK law can be found Here...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
God damn it, so is there a decent board i can get that i will be able to use in the UK?

"Paintball markers must not be fully automatic i.e. when pulling the trigger once, two or more paintballs must not be discharged."

WTF, then how is it we do speedball and get higher BPS than it says above in the UK?

and what about this in the laws?
"With all these points being taken into consideration the United Kingdom Paintball Sports Federation has decided that as of today (26/01/01) the only recognised mode for a paintball marker is SEMI - AUTOMATIC.

ONE PULL OF A TRIGGER
RELEASES ONE BURST OF GAS
FIRING ONE PAINTBALL."

WTF please someone enlighten me on this situation

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
God damn it, so is there a decent board i can get that i will be able to use in the UK?

"Paintball markers must not be fully automatic i.e. when pulling the trigger once, two or more paintballs must not be discharged."

WTF, then how is it we do speedball and get higher BPS than it says above in the UK?

and what about this in the laws?
"With all these points being taken into consideration the United Kingdom Paintball Sports Federation has decided that as of today (26/01/01) the only recognised mode for a paintball marker is SEMI - AUTOMATIC.

ONE PULL OF A TRIGGER
RELEASES ONE BURST OF GAS
FIRING ONE PAINTBALL."

WTF please someone enlighten me on this situation
Have you ever considered hoping the pond?
You could use the fun modes but you would find a bigger mess with the laws cause they very from state to state

Ok so the first question about the bps in speedball. The answer Ramping/Turbo modes. These skirt under the law because they are not firing 2+ balls for each pull. but are going for X when 1<X and X<2. This is still a bit of a grey area.
So for example if your marker is set to ramp your first 3 shot a true semi, and after that it's 1.5 balls for each pull of the trigger. The other way is a nice snapy trigger with a very short pull and is almost a hair line triger

As for the one shot, one burst, one ball...

The tournament scene is currently is a bit of hot water both in the US and the UK. Some are setting speed limits of 15 bps with ramping/turbo with no auto, others are banning every thing but Semi but have no speed cap.

Now because of this my Tippmann Is legal in the UK because it is strict semi (Ignore my FA conversion for the moment) while my Ion is not because even my stock board lets me do Full auto, and x Shot burts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so can kinda by pass it by going with the 1.5 thing. Anyway what would be a good board for me then, and how would i go about setting it to 1.5 per trigger pull

1 - 18 of 18 Posts