Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently bought a tippman a-5 with a J&J barrel, I also got a carry case and a 20oz. C02 tank, all for $140. I am wondering if i got a good deal. also, is this a decent woodsball setup?thumup:rollin:

·
God
292 Posts
Tippmanns are still horribly overpriced...

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
Tippmanns are still horribly overpriced...
this coming from someone who has "tippmanns suck" in big letters in the sig.......wow, who would have thought?

its a pretty good price depending on the condition of it, the thing i dont like about the a5 or 98 for that matter is they are hard to field strip, so if by chance something DOES go wrong (rare on the tippys) they are not the most friendly markers to work on while your out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont mean to sound like a noob but i have never owned an A5 and i only had a 98 for my first time playing (where i didnt know what a good gun was) but anyway.... why does everyone hate tippmann? Obv theyre not as fast as.... anything.... and they, and their parts, are really expensive. but as guns why do we not like them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
^ I love all three of mine... :confused:

This is just like in the world of cars. I'm better than you because I have a _______ which costs more/less and does the same/more. Same as Xbox vs PS. Coke vs. Pepsi. People just aren't content with the old 'live and let live'.

·
Registered
201 Posts
^ I love all three of mine... :confused:

This is just like in the world of cars. I'm better than you because I have a _______ which costs more/less and does the same/more. Same as Xbox vs PS. Coke vs. Pepsi. People just aren't content with the old 'live and let live'.
extremely well said, man...i totally agree. i love my tippmann...and im totally down with other people using whatever other gun they want...where's the love?

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
I dont mean to sound like a noob but i have never owned an A5 and i only had a 98 for my first time playing (where i didnt know what a good gun was) but anyway.... why does everyone hate tippmann? Obv theyre not as fast as.... anything.... and they, and their parts, are really expensive. but as guns why do we not like them?
a5 and 98 are two of the worst markers to field strip, its actually not field stripping, its full dissasembly, you have to split them in half whereas everything else in the industry slides components out the back. they were more durable than the current ones being produced, and amung other semi-auto beggining markers are very over-priced for what you get. they are slow by any standards, heavy and large (this is all in relation to the price you are paying, if they had a msrp of $50 then they would be a ton better in my book) so for the money why should a beginer get one when you can now get a entry level spyder with eyes for $100 cheaper, that will not chop, be faster, lighter, smaller, easyer to work on and have cheaper parts?

if you want to go milsim then sure, but milsim just throws preformance out the window a lot of the time in order to gain a certain look

·
Registered
11 Posts
I played all summer last year w/ my alpha black... I had to strip it down... once. because I wanted to paint it.

my spyder I had to strip, once. because I wanted to paint it.

My 98c and my a5... I stripped to clean after using uber cheap paint on a cold day and basically gumming the guns up beyond use...

all 4 guns were a breeze to work on.

Besides, during a game I'm not gonna hunker down beside a tree and tear my gun apart because it's acting up. I'll be my typical n00b self, yell some profanities so everyone knows I'm out, take a few hits because thats how the people I play with are, more profanities until I get to the truck, swap out guns and worry about it when I get home. I've had all my guns apart and I can't imagine myself risking losing one of the tiny parts because I couldn't wait until I got home to work on it. So the whole 'you can't field strip it blind folded in the dark behind your back while doing a rubiks cube with your feet' doesn't concern me at all.

The expensive comments, sure. But I've dropped my gun in water, used it as a 'machete' to get through brush, straight up dropped it many a time, and have been known to leave it dirty between weekends that i've played because i was too tired/lazy to clean it. It's never failed to shoot any way but the way it did when I first bought it.

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
thats all fine and good that you have a backup but what about all the kids out there who dont? the spyder is 1 pull pin to get the bolt out, the tippmans are something like 6 screws and splitting them in half. Dont kid yourself the clamshell design is not it anyway designed to be easy to tear apart, it is designed to be easy to make, tippmann stamps out the boddies whereas everyone else in the industry mills them. As for dunking the marker in water, you can do that with any mechanical, its nothing special but what it is is poorly taking care of your marker, yes it will survive it but gennerally it washes away a lot of the oil and for the rest of the day your o rings are not lubed. Plus its not like your going to be shooting someone underwater anyway so it surves no purpose other than to make a youtube video.

yes you can leave a tippy dirty and just go play next time, and if someone thinks that is worth the extra $75-$100 then sure they can go for it, im not going to stop them, but for most new players they want something that will preform better than a rental and be easy to maintain.

spyder>tippmann for sure

1 - 17 of 17 Posts