Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get the A5 or the SP-8? I don't care about the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I got the A5 with an E-Grip, double trigger, a M16 APEX barrel, and a carstock would the SP-8 still be a better choice?

And what is HPA?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The only reason I'd consdier a A-5 over a SP8 is because you don't need batteries. You get a cyclone feeder that runs off air. You get a nice low profile on it also because of the hopper. Now the reasons I'd choose the SP8. Faster shooting. The internals are much nicer. Has a regulator. One other thing, the A-5 is neat looking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SP-8 isn't faster, is it? Because the SP-8 shoots 17 balls per second and on the Tippmann website it says that the A5 shoots 17 balls per second (with the E-Grip).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paintballin34 said:
The only reason I'd consdier a A-5 over a SP8 is because you don't need batteries. You get a cyclone feeder that runs off air. You get a nice low profile on it also because of the hopper. Now the reasons I'd choose the SP8. Faster shooting. The internals are much nicer. Has a regulator. One other thing, the A-5 is neat looking.
Are you sure the SP-8 shoots faster? My A5 shoots up to 30 BPS (with W.A.S. board) and I don't think the SP-8 shoots that fast

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dirdy said:
A A-5 can only shoot to about 15-20 BPS until the Cyclone starts eating paint....try a Vortex mod and you might be able to shoot a little more but the A-5 is Pretty Limited with a E-grip. SP8 IMO
Is the vortex mod hard to install? And doesn't it replace the plastic internals with aluminum internals?

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Dirdy said:
A A-5 can only shoot to about 15-20 BPS until the Cyclone starts eating paint....try a Vortex mod and you might be able to shoot a little more but the A-5 is Pretty Limited with a E-grip. SP8 IMO
The cyclone will not eat balls, It can't accually, unless your using really really old crappy paint the cyclone feed doesn't eat paint becouse it dosn't force the balls like a halo does there for it will not feed as fast, but 20bps is plenty fast. In semi, you woun't max it out.

The A-5 e-grip is better then the SP-8s.

Both guns will shoot about the same speed. The A-5 will be heavyer but more reliable, The SP-8 will probbly be more expensive even with the A-5 upgrades, but probbly will be easy to shoot becouse of less recoil and not as heavy. It's up to you to pick what you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the_real_kaz said:
The SP-8 will probbly be more expensive even with the A-5 upgrades, but probbly will be easy to shoot becouse of less recoil and not as heavy. It's up to you to pick what you want.
At the store I went to the SP-8 and the A5 (w/ E-Grip) both costed the same amount ($389.99 CAD)

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
suicidalchipmun said:
At the store I went to the SP-8 and the A5 (w/ E-Grip) both costed the same amount ($389.99 CAD)
awsome now factor in the cost of HPA for the SP-8 $100 and a hopper as fast as the A-5 cyclone..... that would be a $100 Halo or upped egg..... mmmmmm now whats the total price of the SP-8 compared to the A-5's total price????

$589.99 SP-8 set up
$400.99 for A-5 set up (Counting new co2 tank)........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the_real_kaz said:
awsome now factor in the cost of HPA for the SP-8 $100 and a hopper as fast as the A-5 cyclone..... that would be a $100 Halo or upped egg..... mmmmmm now whats the total price of the SP-8 compared to the A-5's total price????

$589.99 SP-8 set up
$400.99 for A-5 set up (Counting new co2 tank)........
o ya thats true i forgot about that =P

·
Registered
452 Posts
the_real_kaz said:
The cyclone will not eat balls, It can't accually, unless your using really really old crappy paint the cyclone feed doesn't eat paint becouse it dosn't force the balls like a halo does there for it will not feed as fast, but 20bps is plenty fast. In semi, you woun't max it out.

The A-5 e-grip is better then the SP-8s.

Both guns will shoot about the same speed. The A-5 will be heavyer but more reliable, The SP-8 will probbly be more expensive even with the A-5 upgrades, but probbly will be easy to shoot becouse of less recoil and not as heavy. It's up to you to pick what you want.
Not exactly eat paint but my friend has had problems with the Cyclone not keeping up with his A-5. Its a old A-5 but when hes going Full Auto the Cyclone can only spin so fast and balls fall into the feed so fast also.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Tippmann's are a down and dirty solution to shooting paintballs. They take abuse, they don't normally break, and they'll suck down liquid CO2 like its going out of style. They're very simple to understand. They look more 'mil-sim' than most other companies products as well, if that's a selling point to you.

The A-5 is pretty good and solid. The E-grip will give you some speed, but the gun will shake a good bit when you shoot it because of the heavy internals moving around. It's a blow-back, after all. Doesn't really need a new hopper to keep up with the E-grip, nor is it possible to get one.

The SP8 is a fine gun too; It's just an Ion in a different looking body. Completly different animal compared to the Tippmann. It likes HPA, not CO2 which Could damage it. It has eyes to prevent chops, but a fast hopper would be a nice thing to get so that it can live up to its potential speed. The 'kick' should be a great deal less than the Tippmann which should help you be more accurate when you're spraying.

We can't choose for you. Handle both as much as you can, see if you can shoot them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts