Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie in paintball, like scenario games, played a few times in the woods with beat-up rental Tippmann 98's and noticed I really have no chance against few guys with tactical-type longer barrel guns. So I'm looking for my own tactical marker on a tight budget.

I have Tippmann Alpha Black and BT Omega in my shortlist and I need advice about which one to choose: as far as I understand they are both essentially almost the same design (Tippman 98-derived) but made by two different (but related) companies.

- How do they compare in reliability, accuracy, distance, maintenance, weight?

- Is it correct that BT Omega has longer barrel? I seems like it has 14" vs 11" on Alpha black - am I correct?. Then it should be slightly more accurate and maybe cover more distance than Alpha Black? Anybody compared the two and is it true?

- Will their accuracy and distance be considerably better than rental Tippman 98's? After being used to airsoft pinpoint accuracy it seemed just awful, all over the place.

- Is it worth it to put red dot on either of those? Would hopper get in the way if I install AR-15 rail on top of carrying handle and put reddot sight there? How do I properly set the the reddot sight so I could use it for different distances?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
- How do they compare in reliability, accuracy, distance, maintenance, weight?
Other than weight, they're identical.

- Is it correct that BT Omega has longer barrel? I seems like it has 14" vs 11" on Alpha black - am I correct?. Then it should be slightly more accurate and maybe cover more distance than Alpha Black? Anybody compared the two and is it true?
Barrel length in paintball past ~6" will have no discernable affect on accuracy

- Will their accuracy and distance be considerably better than rental Tippman 98's? After being used to airsoft pinpoint accuracy it seemed just awful, all over the place.
It will be identical if you use the same paint in them.

- Is it worth it to put red dot on either of those? Would hopper get in the way if I install AR-15 rail on top of carrying handle and put reddot sight there? How do I properly set the the reddot sight so I could use it for different distances?
Unfortunately, in paintball, sights/scopes are completely useless as a FUNCTIONAL device. They can look good, but they will not work for their intended function due to the lack of range of a paintball marker (dictated by velocity), and the ballistic inadequicies of a paintball.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
if you want better performance, milsim is not where you will find it. milsim stuff is just as the name suggests "military simulation" it is dressed up to look the part but when compared to the rest of paintball it is typically larger, heavier and more expensive

distance is determined by velocity so if you have a 8" barrel and are shooting at 285fps, your paint will go exactly as far as a 3 foot barrel shooting 285fps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. So the whole industry of aftermarket barrels does not mean anything? Longer "sniper" barrels, all kind of lengths and materials etc. - no difference, except for the ones that make the balls spin? That would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Yup. Even putting backspin on the ball has only an EXTREMELY minor effect, due to the fluid fill, it very quickly will counteract a backspin, so you won't really gain anything usable. It will change the flight characteristic of the paintball, but not necessarily better (sometimes lobbing paint works better to shoot over top of an obstacle). And spin in any direction OTHER than 0* backspin will more often than not be detrimental to you.

That's why most often when people ask for a barrel, we suggest a cheap, simple J&J one piece for $30. Beyond that most stock barrels have poor finishes on them and thus you do gain a bit of accuracy with a quality aftermarket barrel, you're not going to improve accuracty with a barrel. Go from a J&J to a Poison Arrow (probably the most expensive kit I ever knew of) and you'll see no difference other than efficiency (poison arrow is a kit).

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
about 99% of it is just marketing hype

length means absolutely nothing as far as accuracy and distance is concerned

sometimes different materials can make a difference, the J&J ceramic clears breaks great due to the teflon coated ceramic

backspin barrels do not give you any additional usable range like they want you to think, and the accuracy is worse than normal as well. they have a flat trajectory which is different, not better or worse, just different

what an aftermarket barrel is usually better at is having a better paint to bore match, stock barrels are usually large to make sure they will work with any paint you put through them. better paint to bore match = better accuracy

·
mil-simer
1,102 Posts
If I can say something about red dot, from personal experience, they work... but you will need an APEX barrel, good paint and a mask that lets you get down your sights. Also, don't think that you are going to be able to play the sniper, you will have to keep playing like normal.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Like anything in paintball some will agree and some wont and if it works for you go with it. If I used the gear everyone else used and played the way everyone else played I wouldn't have even half the fun playing paintball that I do.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
i'm not saying that you haven't, but hundreds of thousands of people have been shot successfully without them. If they were an advantage, they would be widespread throughout the tournament scene.
exactly

ranges are not far enough, accuracy is not good enough for them to be any help

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
With all that said, if you decide to use one, it's not like we can stop you

I'd just be ready to replace it if it ever gets shot, chances are that if you take a direct hit on the objective lens, it'll crack

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If they were an advantage, they would be widespread throughout the tournament scene.
God bless the tournament guys for showing us ignorant plebs the way! Anyone else remember the fad of resting your tank on your shoulder? There are a bunch of great ideas that have fallen in and out of fashion on the tournament scene. If you want to go by what is popular sights on markers have been a constant throughout paintball from the beginning until now which is longer than any tourney style\fad. I still won't use one but just because something is popular doesn't mean it's right.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
if you take the time to learn to aim with your eyes you will see they are not needed, problem is you are used to it now. by that logic i could learn to shoot backwards over my shoulder and then argue that because it works for me it is better and everyone else should learn it

kids want them because they are used to call of duty and think because paintball shoots an object all the things that a

·
mil-simer
1,102 Posts
if you take the time to learn to aim with your eyes you will see they are not needed, problem is you are used to it now. by that logic i could learn to shoot backwards over my shoulder and then argue that because it works for me it is better and everyone else should learn it

kids want them because they are used to call of duty and think because paintball shoots an object all the things that a
We are on the same boat, you think that pulse shooting is better, which requieres practise, I think sight shooting is better, wich requieres practise, so like I said before, to each it's own, the difference is that my method is more expensive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts