Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to paintball and looking for a good gun.

I read reviews about the Tippmann Custom Pro which seems to be a durable gun. I was wondering how it would suite a little nooblet like me. I went paintballing for my first time a couple of days ago and really liked the game.

For now i would like to purchase the Tippmann Custom Pro Marker as its only $150 canadian for the gun. I would need to buy a mask + tank for it separately.

What i was wondering was...

Specs of the gun

* Semi-automatic marker - 25½" (65 cm) in length, 2.9 lbs. (1.3 kg) - in durable black chrome finish
* All-aluminum die-cast receiver is fully customizable and electronics adaptable
* Comes standard with 11" barrel, double trigger system and drop-forward
* Heavy-duty stainless steel braided gas line
* Includes ammo box, squeegee, barrel sleeve and lubricating oil

A) Is this a good gun?
B) 8 bps any good?
C) Good at stock or needs to be upgraded right away?
D) Accuracy?
E) What happens if i get a 9 bps hopper and the gun can only do 8bps?
F)How far does it shoot and do the paintballs go all over the place?

Also this one comes with an 11inch barrel which should be better then the custom 98 8 inch barrel.

Thanks alot for any information.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Hey welcome to PBF.
Let's take a crack at your questions-

A) It's pretty standard as far as Tippmann goes. Straght mechanical operation, not much there that can break.

B) What that means to say is that the gun will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. Because the trigger is mechanically shooting the gun (As opposed to an electric-style trigger where it only hits a switch) the pull will be kinda long and heavy. It isn't a problem and it isn't "Heavy" in the weight lifting sense, but you won't be tapping it with one finger. Pulling with one finger would work fine though.

C) Nothing needs upgraded right away.

When you played, did you rent or borrow or what? What sort of gun did you use? How did it compare to the other markers being used? If they were electric it would probably be better to get the version of this gun that is factory-upgraded to the E-grip model.

If you play speedball style with small bunkers you might want to rethink this. You could do fine using it, but a Tippmann is a Long marker to hold and it can make tucking in harder.

D) About as accurate as average. That depends on a lot of things.

E) Nothing. Electric hoppers just stir the paint so that it loads easier. The good ones will stop stirring when you're not shooting, but the cheap ones just keep going and making this horrid 'whirr' noise.

Now if you mean a normal gravity hopper, then even more nothing will happen.

F) It shoots as far as any other gun. Paintballs are inaccurate by nature. If you can't hit something that tells you that you are too far away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey, Thanks for the response

Can't say what type it was as it was my first time. It was indoor but the gun shot slow,had one trigger and maybe shot about 4-5 bps (rough guess) :hug:

But damn was it still fun...

So is the Tippmann Custom Pro a good choice? :looking

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
yeah a pretty good deal. if you want more speed look for a response trigger for the custom pro or look at a electrice spyder. the tippmann is way more durable than the spyder though

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd watch for a good deal or get a used one for a decent price. And if you're getting a HPA tank right off the get go I'd say look at Ions. You can get Spyder Imagines that are refurbed for pretty cheap also. Not a bad way to start out then have some money for a hopper. About the same price as the 98.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Btw i figured out that we were using the tippmann custom 98.

All i can say was that it wasnt very accurate. Some balls went straight, others to the moon.

i guess the custom pro having an 11 inch barrel will be a bit better then the 8 inch barrel. =0

·
Registered
8 Posts
An 11 inch barrel still won't be all that accurate, if you want accuracy then get a 14'' or a 16'' barrel but anything above that really doesn't do anything besides be longer and make it harder to move around.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i would go 14 inches on the barrel and accurace is on paint to bore match. it is debatable as to what is the greatest factor in accuracy but in my mind it is the paint to bore match

·
Registered
133 Posts
There a very durable gun. Consider a J&J Ceramic barrel, the a good but cheap barrel that would help. Aint gonna find a better noob gun Welcome and good luck

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I don't know about that spyder man. I know the price is Canadian (I think?) But used it isn't worth anywhere near $100 in US$, and certainly not $200.

The mask and CO2 add a little but not that much. It isn't a $80 mask.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts