Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any internal upgrades for the tippmann 98 custom that would help with accuracy (kind of a loaded question I know).

I already have compressed air (CO2 made condensation form on the barrel and made my shots screwy) A 14" dye xcel barrel and a nice ball/barrel match using tourney grade paint.

I was told that there are many upgrades for the internals but I can't seem to find any and didn't find any in the super sticky. I don't care about trigger pull/speed, speed of hopper or any of that. I'm not looking for speed. 3bps is fine with me. I hate the spray and pray idea.

I only play woods ball but I want to do everything I can for my 6yo tippy, preferably without any electronics.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
29 Posts
from what I've been told by my friend who plays paintball a lot, all paintball guns are inaccurate. having scopes or sights is meaningless in the world of paintball. They're just for looks.

For the custom 98 which I also have with the ACT, I've been reading that you can switch to the aftermarket bolt and springs set. Mostly it'll improve the velocity and increase the life of the internal parts, but as far as accuracy having a longer barrel or flatline barrel won't do wonders. Actually been reading that with the flatline barrel, there's a good chance that sometimes the paintballs won't break because they're forced into a backspin to increase distance.

But I'd look into changing out the bolt or springs if you're looking to upgrade internal parts. Action Village sell some pretty good aftermarket bolts:
Tippmann Model 98 Parts at ActionVillage.com : Paintball

The other things you can change or have a good supply of are O-rings

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, so I'm guessing that replacing the front bolt is beneficial. Will replacing this just ensure smooth operation and extend the life of my marker? That could be worth it.. I have recently replaced all of the o-rings in my marker as well and I ordered some hoppes #9 gun oil too :D

Thanks for that action village link. Thats a good site.

Edit: should I look into an all steel bolt or a steel/plastic mix? I'm guessing more steel is better because it's stronger. Any reason a harder/softer spring would be beneficial?

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well the harder springs means more velocity, but perhaps using a softer spring with compressed air might be a good mix.

I'd probably go for the steel bolt rather than the steel/plastic mix. But for the most part the custom 98 is a very well built starter gun and the internal parts are cheap to replace

As for external cosmetic mods, I'd look at this site:
Tippmann A5 and 98 Butt Stock

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
two great sites.
Special Ops Paintball :: Paintball Products
Model 98 Accessories
I would recomend getting a power tube. I put a red hot power tube on my A5 and noticed a difference.

Hmm, the power tube is something I have been looking into... but is it really worth changing? I have a hard time imagining what kind of difference it could make that would be worth the money. And the only other thing I have been thinging of recently was getting something to make it closed bolt in the rear.

But again, I don't know what the benefit of it is. If it's just personal preference I'm probably fine with what I have. If there is less recoil or saved air or any improvement it may be nice to have. Who knows, after 6 years I may need to change my powertube anyway. It seems to be working fine though.. :confused: I would also need to re-loctite the hose-tube connection probably, right? I've never done that. Seems simple enough though..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, so the new power tube is an option...

As for the closed rear bolt thing I just meant that the hole in the side be covered up and have it get cocked in the rear. I hear that closing that up is beneficial somehow. I can't really see how though, that's why I figured I would ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is more of a continuation of the original question than an answer, but what about a low pressure kit? I have heard good things about it, and have heard it is a waste of money. The good things I have heard is that it makes your air burst have more volume and less pressure, rather than a short "pop" at high pressure. This supposedly gives you a more consistent shot and as a bonus quiets your gun a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
It's fun to do, but it's quite difficult, both on the wallet, and just the way the marker works, to make it low pressure. If you have the time and the money, than go fir it, but by that time, you might be able to buy yourself a decent electro (just for price refrence).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Internals, I'd say upgrade the power tube and valve assembly. If it's 6 years old, then that might be a good idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
okkk.... the thing that covers the cocking thing is called the rocket cock by dead on paintball... i have one and its great because it muffles the sound alittle bit but the best part is it keeps all the dirt/paint/other crap out of the marker. i have upgraded all my internals and it helps quite a bit. for the bolt the best one to get is the shocktech supafly, great quality with an inner o-ring etc, for the power tube i have the rap4 power tube, it works for me and was only 20 bucks. i also have the techt zero kick hammer which actually really works. it reduces kick quite a bit and makes the marker lighter. i also have the maddman spring kit. it has velocity springs (increased by maybe 20 fps?) plus a lighter pull trigger and sear spring. the sear spring is nice but if u use a clicky-pen spring it is lighter then the trigger spring in it. these also increase the life of your marker because the internals are the marker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about just polishing the internals like in the super sticky? All you would need is a new set of o-rings, correct? That should increase velocity and make the system work more efficiently, plus decrease air hogging if I read that right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts