Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a youtube video of the X-7 Phenom in action, I'm highly considering getting it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, on any barrel suggestions, and weather to use High or Low pressure N2 tank. That would Prob be it on upgrades , since I hear it shoots great out the box.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
terible marker for the pricetag, you can do much much better. stop watching youtube videos for marker references they are all bias towards the marker they are shooting, anyone with a marker and a camera will tell you what they have is the best thing since sliced bread. and dont look at pbreview.com either, same thing, a bunch of people saying their marker is the best thing ever.

whats your overall price range? what are you looking to spend on marker + tank + hopper + mask, those are the essentials

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really ? I have a friend that has the X-7 Phenom and he loves it. I've also heard nothing but good things about the marker. Why do you say it's not worth it for the price ?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The Phenom is actually a decent performing marker the problem a lot of people have with it is that it isn't the best performing marker for the price paid for it. Where it shines is that you can customize the looks of it to your liking like other Tippmann markers and it works as a mech or an electro and it can work on CO2 or HPA. If you don't really care about milsim kits, mech functionality and are running HPA anyway...well then you can save a lot of money by purchasing something else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've come to trust Tippmann Markers depedability, and the fact that I can go manual or Electric on the fly is what I like the most. Plus it would be an upgrade from my A-5 anyway. I'm not going pro or anything like that. Also I'm probably gonna customize it a little. That's the most I would pay for a Marker that I'm gonna use for fun. What kind of marker do you have?

·
(b '_')b
858 Posts
I thought the new x7 was pretty good but as crawdadyy said, it doesnt match the price. Since I'm a college student and pay for my markers i've come to try and get my bang for the buck haha.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
How is the Phenom like an A5? The A5 is an inline mech blowback and the Phenom is a spool valve electro. They look similar but it would be like saying that you don't need to buy an Ego because you already have a Spyder Victor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The simple fact is that the Phenom is nothing like an a5, I fail to understand what is going through the head of a "senior member" "super moderator" with 17k posts for even saying that. And the simple fact is that the Phenom is pretty decent gun, though the pricetag is a bit up there, its still no inline mechanical blowback. Get one if you want to Eternal. Alot of the more active people on this forum are ridiculously anti Tippmann. Unfortunately.

·
(b '_')b
858 Posts
you have to understand why we are "anti" tippmann. I think tippmanns are ok markers, just i would never pay for one. $400 for a phenom when i could get something like a mini for $100 less? Why get a 98c when i could get a spyder for cheaper. I guess if you have the money and like like the mil sim stuff the phenom is great, it's just that im a college student(like a few others here) and like to get my moneys worth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
K im sorry but i kinda dont like people who just look at tippmann as the "End all be all" of paintball. Back about five years they were really good and were really well built but there just the face of paintball and now there slacking and it makes me mad to see people just say TIPPMANN! as there marker choice... jus look around... hold differnt kinds... shoot them... just if you have a tippmann... one is good enough! Get a change and go with like an MTAC or something, trust me it will be worth it. to me all tippys are the same besides the bells and whistles

·
Noob
256 Posts
It's because alot of people went from "woodsball"(tippmann,BT,etc.) to "speedball" (Spyder,Etek,Bob Long,Dye Matrix,Smart parts,etc). Couldn't that be one of the reasons?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Or it could just be that they are still playing in the woods and like the milsim stuff but also want to have the performance of a nice electronic marker. Contrary to popular belief going from the woods to speedball isn't an evolution or 'step up" that people do.

The Phenom is in reality a nice shooting electronic marker and rather than faulting people for liking Tippmanns I think people should stop being so quick to dump on the Phenom just because it is a Tippmann. Yes the Mini is cheaper but you can't dress it up in milsim stuff or run it on CO2 and yes there are fields that still can't fill CO2. For $400 you get a smooth shooting spool valve electronic marker that can run on CO2 and doesn't need a forcefeed loader and can be dressed up with a milsim kit. Not all that bad a deal especially if you are a casual player.

I've never been a big fan of Tippmann but they have finally taken their heads out of their collective asses and taken a good hard look at the paintball market today. They have moved beyond the same inline blowback design they've been using since the 80's and finally released a true electronic marker and at the same time noticed people are playing pump so they brought back the SL68 I think it is turn for the better.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
While the Phenom is a nice shooting marker, it's basically an Automag in a MilSim shell

And with that said, I'd rather shoot an Automag
:p

My biggest gripe with Tippmann is their price/Performance ratio
In most cases, while Tippmann's shoot fine and work, they are pretty expensive, which leads to other alternatives that perform the same or better for close to the same amount or less.

I am a function over form kinda guy, so that's why I generally stay away from Tippmanns
Would rather have something that works for less than something that looks cooler for more

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I think I've made it quite clear over and over again that I like Automags too. That said they aren't exactly easy to find in stores anymore and even used they aren't cheap for anything in decent shape. What really bothers me about the whole Tippmann hating thing is that there are players that do like the look as much or more than the function and that is what is fun to them.

·
knows whats goin down.
2,615 Posts
In addition, Tippmann milsim body kits are also expensive. If i had enough money for a Phenom, id get a MacDev Drone, an ATS AT-10 or 85, or an Automag, which it essentially is. Its a marker thats as bad as it is good.
Woodsball is not Milsim. Im not for Milsim, but i like Woodsball. Its not bad that we dont like Tippy as much as others. They havent really done much comparably, and theres the issue on price. Lets say you get over that price, well the Phenom shoots great, only fault id find with it is that its heavy and the only marker that you can really take advantage of the Mech to Electro "on the fly" is an Emag, which the practically is.
And i think Martix meant no need to get another Tippy, not another Tippy thats the same design.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
tippmann products have not been the right choice in the price/performance catagory for a long time, while looking at the phenom also remember there is the tm-7 and tm-15 in the same range, better performance, easier maintance and a lower pricetag, and if someone really wants the performance out of the phenom they are going to be running it on HPA anyway, the whole electro/mechanical operation of it is a farce, thats just Tippmann playing on the fears of new players not a feature of the marker, anyone who actually pays attention to their equipment will keep fresh batteries on hand

basically put if you like the performance of the phenom there are a lot of other markers out there with better performance for less, if you like the mil-sim aspect, there is the tm-7 & 15 with that mil sim look, lots of bolt on options a smaller pricetag and STILL better performance to boot

at the end, Tippmann is still not the choice

i agree with martix, if OP already has a tippmann, no need to buy another, he will be paying far too much and getting far too little for the phenom to be considered a huge upgrade from what he has already

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lets not forget that Tippmann practically made paintball. There is no proof that the TM7 or TM15 are better. In fact the Phenom breaks less paint. Shoots fast enough to IN REALITY win. Does not fully depend on batterys. And yeah the Phenom is an upgrade from an a5 EASILY. More effecient, Shoots smoother if you like that, full auto capable. While still having a ton of options for customization for those who like that.

·
knows whats goin down.
2,615 Posts
All that is true except Tippy didnt really make paintball. You could argue that Sheridan, AGD, and WGP made paintball well before Tippy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts