Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother recently got a 98c and I was messing around with it and it shoots fine until about shot number 2 when it double fires and then you have to recock it. It wont stay cocked for more than one shot at a time.

What's wrong with it?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It could be a few things like a worn out sear, springs could need to be replaced, cracked powertube, damaged orings, generally dirty/too much oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I have a new sear comin in and I have oiled it up and replaced o-rings its pretty old (7-8 years) and hasn't been used in a long time. so hopefully thatll do it. powertube is still intact as far as i can see as well.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
REM oil isn't just a lube it contains additives for cleaning crap out of real firearms. Those additives don't do any favours to seals and orings at all only use paintball specific oil or air tool oil. I don't think that would be your problem if you just replaced all the orings but a small bottle of air tool oil costs less than an oring kit.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
alright so just replaced the sear spring but still uncocks...what now
What have you actually done? You say you replaced the orings do you mean all the orings or only some of them? You also said you have a new sear coming in but you replaced the sear spring so which is it? If the marker isn't cocking that generally means either it isn't catching the sear or there isn't enough pressure for the blowback to fully recock the marker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
replaced al o-rings and replaced the sear spring. I didnt feel like the sear needed replaced because it looked fine.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
replaced al o-rings and replaced the sear spring. I didnt feel like the sear needed replaced because it looked fine.
It is very hard to tell when a sear is worn out. Honestly if it were me and my Tippmann wasn't cocking right on a full tank of air I'd have automatically replaced the sear before anything else and especially if it were 7 years old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the symptoms he's describing do not sound sear related to me at all. If the hammer was being blown back far enough to be caught by the sear and the sear wasn't catching it properly then the second shot/cycle would hit the valve just as hard as the first...starting the firing cycle all over again resulting in extremely fast full auto firing/ball chopping. At no point would the gun end up just in the forward un-cocked state after 1 to 2 firing cycles like he's describing, it would keep cycling until physically stopped or until out of air.

The symptoms being described seem to me to be inherent of the hammer not getting blown back hard enough/far enough for the sear to catch it...ruling out the sear as being the problem. This is likely either a valve or pressure problem with not enough force being supplied to fully re-cock the hammer, or a friction problem of too much friction so that the hammer slows down too quickly and doesn't make it all the way back to the cocked position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts