Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Tips for safer transactions

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  demonpoptart 
#1 · (Edited)
Tips for a safer b/s/t transaction and what to do after you get scammed

I see a ton of "For Sale" and "Want to buy" posts in the B/S/T and haven't seen any tips for safe transactions so I thought i'd start up a list. If there is another thread similar to this I have not found it and mods should merge my info to the appropriate area. I am a cellular phone freak and deal on forums just like this one (been ripped off a few times too).

Here are tips for safer transactions:
1. Avoid deals in which shipping is needed. If possible, use face-to-face transactions and inspect the product carefully.
2. Be wary of sellers with absolutely no feedback and a low post count. Yaya everyone starts out with no feedback at first, but this is the great way to avoid getting scammed.
3. DO NOT send out any items until you've been paid, unless you are selling to another reputable seller.
4. If the deal is "too good to be true", it's probably a scam.
5. Pay using paypal with credit card. Do not use a bank funds for paypal and do not use funds already in paypal. This way if you are scammed you can file a report to paypal AND you can also file a report to your credit card company. Make sure both parties are VERIFIED AND HAVE CONFIRMED ADDRESSES.
6. DO NOT use Western Union. In my opinion, this is the worst way to pay. WU offers no protection against fraud. You do not need ID to make a payment or to receive payment using WU. Very bad...I've been ripped this way before.
7. Get full contact info from the other party. Address, name, HOME phone. Cell phone numbers can be easily discarded (remember i am a cell phone fanatic), especially "PAYASYOUGO" cell phones which do not need proper ID to activate. Do a reverse look up of the person's contact to make sure it is correct.
www.411.com or www.411.ca if you have to...call the person's home phone to verify. A few dollars for long distance call is better than losing hundreds of dollars of pb equipment.
8. Check the feedback thread and check the theft thread. Be wary though, feedback can be easily faked which is why tip#7 is so important. Also be wary of people posting feedback to other place such as ebay, heatware, or other forums. Be sure to check these out by messaging them from these forums. I seen scammers use legit ebay seller's names and quote their feedbacks.
9. Use the feedback. If someone has ripped you off let the PBF community know.
10. DO NOT ship using the cheapest method of shipping. This method usually does not include insurance, tracking, delivery confirmation. If using USPS use the priority method or first class. If using Canada Post use Xpress post shipping. Make sure you have delivery confirmation or signature or some way to track package. Also, priority and first class shipments are guaranteed to arrive within USA in 1-3 days. Xpress post shipments are guarantee to arrive within Canada in 2 days.
11. Trading is dangerous, if possible DO NOT TRADE. If you must, either use Tip10 or use a cash medium. IOW, person A pays for person B's item. Transaction completes. Person B uses same money pays for Person A's item. 2nd transaction completes.
12. Finally keep a record/log of all conversations. Keep emails, PM's, log your msn/icq/im conversations, RECORD YOUR PHONE CONVERSATIONS if you have to. Keep a record of all receipts ie. paypal receipt for payment, waybill and receipt as proof of shipping. RECORD THE TRACKING NUMBER of your parcel.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
OK what to do if you've been scammed

I will assume you've followed my wicked tips for safer transactions.

Time is crucial. The slower you are to react to getting scammed the worse off you are.

If you are buying, contact the seller. By phone is preferred. Contact paypal and file a report. Contact your credit card and let them know you believe you've been scammed. They will tell you that paypal will handle it, but if paypal cannot resolve the issue your credit card company will stand up for you and investigate as well. If the seller is or becomes a known scammer, contact your local authorities and the authorities at the sellers location. If enough victims of the alleged scammer come forward file a huge case with the FBI's fraud unit (since you have all the scammers CORRECT contact info). There is currently a joint investigation between FBI and RCMP against a repeated cell phone scammer in Toronto.

If you are selling, there shouldn't be a problem because you've followed my rules right? But if something does happen, let's say the funds were paid in an illegal way (w/ stolen credit card? which you should have seen coming if you read my tips), then stop the delivery of the package. This will cost you money, but it is better than losing your gear.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use vigilante justice. YA i know your pissed but do not get into legal trouble for hurting the alleged scammer. If you've followed my tips and have substantial proof of payment/shipment, and kept all records of contact between all parties, then LET THE AUTHORITIES HANDLE IT.

Let the PBF community know you've been scammed. Leave the scammer negative feedback. Contact a mod, have the scammer banned.

REMEMBER, nothing is 100%. Even if you follow my tips there is no guarantee. In fact there is never a guarantee, which is why you should DEAL LOCALLY. Otherwise, support your local PB store and buy retail.

Check this link: http://www.trollhunters.com/ for more tips and some useful links. The more you know the better off you are.

I've been scammed before...once using Western Union, twice using paypal, once during a trade. Each one over $500 CDN worth of cell phone stuff was lost. Both paypal (i was the buyer both times) losses were recovered, Western Union (i was buyer) funds lost forever, for the trade i hunted the scammer to his home and spoke to his parents, cell phone was not recovered but got money back as compensation.

I will admit that after the bad trade, I was out looking for vigilante justice. Please keep your cool, you need to be able think clearly and quickly when you've been scammed. Do not ruin your chances of getting your money/items back or ruin the chances that the scammer will face any legal punishments.

Please learn from my errors. Do not let the same thing happen to you. I have seen this happen too many times to people that do not deserve the frustration and anger of being scammed.

If you need more help or advice or you are unsure about a deal that is about to go down, pls do not hesitate to PM/MSN/ICQ me.

Most important tip if you've been scammed: do not feel helpless, contact me.

#4 ·
I have a full name, PO box, zip code, city adn state, and whenever I plug it into sites liek 411.com I get nothing. I figured it might be a kid, so I just used the last name. Before he said his name was one name, and then he said it was another.

I was thinking of calling the post office and runnign a check on the PO box and last name. Would they do that?

#5 ·
411.com will search for home addresses and home phone number not P.O. Boxes. The post office might not look it up for you, but it's worth a try anyway,

You sell something and not get paid?

#7 ·
I told my Co worker about buying and selling off forums, and ebay is an awesome way to make a secure transaction. You can put up an auction as a private auction, and pay for it on ebay. Yes you have to pay fees, but its alot safter than taking a risk. An ebay account is free, and doesnt take long to setup.

#9 ·
Over the years of buying things off the internet (over 100 items in the last 2 years) I have found my #1 way to never being scammed.

Call them and record the convo, ask for their full name - address - what the deal is and for how much it is - also ask any other question that would help proove who it is. In the United States any communicated (Could be phone/forums/instant messanging) transaction under 500$ is legally binding with NO signed documents. Meaning if you sold a Ion for some one for 285$ and you had all that info recorded you could goto a small claims court and file a claim. Then of coarse they will pay when they get a summons considering by law they would have to come to your local court which in air fares would probably cost them more time/money. Best way to beat some one is in their pocket not their face ;)

#13 ·
if it was me i prob woudlnt but if u do hen you take it to the post office tell them u want a sign tracker on it its like 5$ and tell them you want a copy of it sent back to you so just incase he does try and burn you for your money order you could always take him to court if it came down to it and =prove with the signed tracker that he did get it and make sure u save ur receipt .......cause even when i buy **** off ebay i always get the sign tracker an **** the extra 5$ is worth makeing sure u dont get beat for your money and with the signed tracker you can just go to usps.com and check when your money order got there so youll know if there lien or w/e

alsoo dont send to a p.o box unless you do what some above me said record everything over phone with them

#14 · (Edited)
i've not really been scammed but i've met more people who have than i've met people who have not...

i'll be sure to put this around so that people may avoid getting too much in losses this terrible way...

(p.s. sorry for taking so long to get back to the forum pbf - i've been really depressed...

not that you'll really care...

please dont beat me...)

*edit* sorry i didn't realize it was soo old... my apologies for raising the dead!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.