Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a guy around the corner his '88 toyota supra mark III turbo selling is for 1000 but the problem is, is that it needs a full engine rebuild? how much would that send me back if i decided to keep it as a project.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Yeah. You shoud just drop a 2jz-gte in it. A used 1jz-gte with a turbo is going to be rare to find in good condish, but it depends on how into the turbo you are. You could just get a 1jz, non turbo to stick in there.

Honestly, they were stressed cars with the turbo. Theres probably alot wrong with the engine.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
sumsimpleracer said:
a guy around the corner his '88 toyota supra mark III turbo selling is for 1000 but the problem is, is that it needs a full engine rebuild? how much would that send me back if i decided to keep it as a project.
really depends on how much you would wanna do yourself

you could

A. take it out of the car yourself, and rebuild it yourself
B. take it out of the car yourself, and have an engine shop rebuild it
C. take it out of the car yourself, and have a basic garage rebuild it
D. Have a shop take the engine out, and rebuild it
E. Have a shop take the engine out, and they send it out to be rebuilt

labor rate is about 50$ an hour. Removing an engine is about 6-7 hours. so about $300-350 to pay someone to yank the motor. Parts to rebuild an engine vary from 200-1000$, sometimes more, depending on what it needs, same with machine shop labor. To pay an engine shop to rebuild it your talking about about double what a basic garage would charge.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
PAT McCORMICK said:
really depends on how much you would wanna do yourself

you could

A. take it out of the car yourself, and rebuild it yourself
B. take it out of the car yourself, and have an engine shop rebuild it
C. take it out of the car yourself, and have a basic garage rebuild it
D. Have a shop take the engine out, and rebuild it
E. Have a shop take the engine out, and they send it out to be rebuilt

labor rate is about 50$ an hour. Removing an engine is about 6-7 hours. so about $300-350 to pay someone to yank the motor. Parts to rebuild an engine vary from 200-1000$, sometimes more, depending on what it needs, same with machine shop labor. To pay an engine shop to rebuild it your talking about about double what a basic garage would charge.
I say, rebuild it with forged pistons, titanium rods, good bearings, blockguard?, cam(s), titanium valves and springs, etc.

You could acquire all those parts to rebuild it for roughly $1200-$1600. Do it yourself, make it a project be sure to have a different daily driver. Once you're done rebuilding it, turn your boost up a little and start working on the fuel system. After that slap a new turbo and manifold and you'll have yourself a quick car.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
1337 said:
I say, rebuild it with forged pistons, titanium rods, good bearings, blockguard?, cam(s), titanium valves and springs, etc.
are u serious or was that alil sarcasm? arent titanium rods alil much? if the cost of a rebuild is an issue, i think the cost if titanium rods would be an issue as well.

if your gonna build something with some hp to it, a good quality forged piston would be good, steel H-beam rods would be great and like 1/8th the price, stainless steel valves would be fine and like 1/8th the price.

Titanium in a motor does give hp as much as it just makes the engine capable of 9000++ rpms

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I meant steel H-Beam for the rods.

Titanium valves and springs I've seen decently cheap on ebay but stainless steel would be pretty good i guess.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, and it's not like i have to pay for insurance while i'm working on it, i just think i might have a lack of tools, which could pose to be a problem

but my boss (owner of coldstone in oswego) also owns an autoshop so if i ever have probs i could always go to him for help...yet he'd prolly take it out of my paycheck.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
if u gotta buy tools make sure u go to SEARS, craftsman tools are great cause they are the best AND the cheapest

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
PAT McCORMICK said:
if u gotta buy tools make sure u go to SEARS, craftsman tools are great cause they are the best AND the cheapest
Plus the whole lifetime warranty thing is nice.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another issue to this is the lack of being under the hood, of course i know stuff like book stuff, you know like the anatomy of teh car but knowing stuff and doing stuff are completely different, anyone know if they make books for like HOW TO remove engines and stuff, i'm still talking with my dad about it, he's done quite a bit himself and i'd like to get my granpa involved because he's worked with tons of tuner cars in his days but he's getting older and doesn't use the garage much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts