Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to go about treating surface rust? My Rodeo has surface rust on the frame rails but surprisingly (sp?) not on the underbody. There are no holes or anything severe, I just want to treat it. The rust isnt bad for northeast ohio, our winters are hell, the roads literally become salt. Heres a few quick shots I took:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
if it's on the frame, i wouldnt worry about it... if you spend the hours it'd take to get it all off, then say paint it or w/e they'll be rusty in less than a year again and you'd have to start all over... yeah, it's not pretty, but trust me, i understand.. wisconsin roads are the same way in winter.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i got bad news for you, thats beyond surface rust. The frame is a pretty imporant part of the car, especially since this is an import and they use for poor quality steel on asian cars.

you gotta take care of it. You cant just paint it, the paint will flake off.

gotta get that rust off, either sanding or sandblasting. Then you gotta put ALOT of paint on it to protect it. Spray on under-coating is a good idea, it comes in cans like spray paint.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yea, its like that up here. I had some rust on the frame of my truck, but it wasnt nearly that bad(despite teh fact that it sat in the same spot for 3 years), and we put some of the black undercoating on it, and so far it hasnt flaked at all, but Its only been on the road for a few months, we'll see how it is after this winter.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you sand the rust off before putting the undercoating on? im not going to put the stuff over the flakes, but I dont see myself spending hours on end grinding all the rust off.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yea, I just took an air grinder and went to town on it, then sprayed the undercoating on. Air grinders are much more fun than sanders.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
crustybug said:
if you looked at the link, the coating thats in the can is actually made to bond with rust, so youre supposed to leave it on...
Yeah I did. Honestly ill go with the stuff you showed me, because it should do the job and outlast my time with the truck.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
crustybug said:
if you looked at the link, the coating thats in the can is actually made to bond with rust, so youre supposed to leave it on...
thats what i thought too, some paints/chemicals are meant to soak into rust (rust is kinda like a sponge compared to solid steel)....... BUT it says to use a primer first, to ensure bonding to the rusted metal, thats gay

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
Use POR 15. Did anyone mention that yet?
thats what the link was for

1 - 20 of 22 Posts