Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the situation. Just bought a Trracer off of Ebay, in what looks to be next to new condition. I doubt this gun has had over 100 rounds through it. Also, it has a Venturi Bolt in it (as per the ebay listing, I couldnt tell you for sure...) So, here's the problem. I go to fire it for the first time, and a lack luster shot is produced... I mean this thing had NO range at all. Now the reviews this gun has gotten from siteslike pbreview.com makes me think that something just has to be done to alter what is hopefully a minor problem. So, how can I raise the velocity on this thing? It came with the wrench that goes with the gun (Heck, it even came in the original styrofoam casing too) but I see no where this wrench could be used. I heard down the barrel, but I looked down it and dont see where this wrench would thread into. There is a sort of cylinder column that goes up the pistol grip, but the bolt at the end of the tunnel I dont think would fit the given wrench. Maybe something with the springs? There is one extra spring that came in the package that I couldnt tell ya what it's for. So, any comments and suggestions in an effort to get this thing shooting farther than 15-20 feet would be greatly appreciated.

In a slight side note, it has been said that there is no ball detent in this gun, which I soon saw for myself. Anyone have any suggestions on how to modify the gun to possibly possess a ball detent? Definately not as important as the above issue, but still would be nice to know.

Lastly, just for clarification, Maverick and Trracer parts are interchangeable right? Just incase I need new screws, springs, whathaveyou. Been looking for a good site for parts just in case, though with the great condition this gun appears to have, I'd hope that's not necessary.

And yes, I know I'm a noob with this gun.

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
It is down the barrel, but there is a special long wrench/thing that you use. When my maverick comes I will check it out and I will prolly be able to tell you then for sure, but for now I think it's down the barrel.

As for detents, yeah you could probably put some in.

·
Registered
260 Posts
trracer/maverick velocity can be a mess... so i'm gonna start with the detents.

my maverick has a spring detent, and unless the previous owner removed the detent for some reason i think the trracer would have one too. to see the spring detent just remove the gripframe...

(two thumbscrews, on in front, and one behind the grip. be careful when you remove it because it's the only thing holding the internals in the back of the gun, if you have the gun pointed in the air everything will fall out the back when you remove the gripframe)

and you should see the detent spring on the underside of the gun, just in front of the hole that the front thumbscrew threads into.

it's possible the trracer actually doesn't have a detent, but i think it would since the maverick has one.

now here's the thing about the detent spring, mine was just about useless. i fixed that by folding up a small piece of paper and sticking under the detent spring so that the gripframe holds it in place. (i used an index card folded so that there are four layers, if you know what i mean) if you are using smaller paint, you may need more paper to prevent double feeding.

now for the velocity.

the velocity adjusting tool is basically a long allan wrench. and you adjust velocity down the barrel. i believe only some trracers came with the adjustable bolt. my suspicion is that the venturi bolt cannot be adjusted. did the gun come with the original bolt? if you hold the oringional bolt in your hand you should be able to look through it (front to back) and see a hexagon shape. that hexagon shape is what you must turn using the velocity adjustment tool. turn right to raise, left to lower (this is if you're looking down the barrel).

if the venturi bolt cannot be adjusted, which i suspect is the problem, you will have to use springs. a harder or longer mainspring will raise velocity, and shorter or softer mainspring will lower it. i suspect that extra spring you describe is an extra mainspring that is either harder or softer than the one that's in there now. if you absolutly need to you may be able to boost the spring by stretching it with a couple pairs of pliers. or cut it (a little at a time) to lower velocity.

ok so now to complicate things even more. if you're using co2 (which i assume you are) and the co2 is too warm, the output pressure may be too high. the pressure of the co2 helps hold the valve closed, and if this pressure is too high, the valve may not be able to open enough. this can cause trracers to shoot very low velocities like the ones you describe.

the probelm? your co2 is too warm.

the solution? make it cold. the way i used to do this was dryfiring like 30 shots rapidly (autotrigger). also you can bleed the co2 tank somehow. or you can just throw it in a cooler with ice. remember, this may or may not be the probelm, you'll have to experiment.

my maverick velocity has always been very inconsistant.

phew, hope this helps thumup:

oh and i forgot to add, some people make detents by putting small strips of electrical tape on the inside of the gun... or so i've heard. i'd just do the folded piece of paper method.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i dont know how much this will help but...

i dont have too much experience with paintball guns but i might be able to help. one of the reasons that your gun might not be firing to its full potential is due to the lack of pressure the co2 that is running through the gun. now i dont know the layout of the gun but, at the end of the gas hose that runs through the gun there should be a little cap. if you unscrew it you can change the ammount of gas flow to the gun. also i would check the pin and spring inside the gun. mine was a second hand gun when i got it and i had the same troubles. so i just tweaked the spring a little and tried it out and now im able to shoot alot farther.

sorry if this doesnt help. but i figured why not try

1 - 4 of 4 Posts