Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am starting to save up for a car since I am turning 16 in June and I have to buy my car...so I have come to you, pbf, for suggestions.

I am looking for cars that will cost NO MORE than $5,000, have good-decent mpg, and the insurance can't be high. I live in Illinois, so it has to be able to deal with snow.

It will be my first car, so I am not looking for something really sporty or anything. Like I said, I need something that won't cost a ton for insurance. I have a B average in school, so that will help insurance a little.

I know I don't want rice burners like talons, eclipses, civics, etc...and I know I don't want anything like t-birds, firebirds, or mustangs.

All suggestions are appreciated other than ones that are completely out of my range (things that usually cost over 5k and only get 10mpg).

Thanks in advance.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
maybe a small frame 4x4 truck? Like a used ranger, or tacomas are nice but usually hold their value more and can be hard to find for cheap.

·
1,751 Posts
Econobox!

Civic, accord, camry, corolla, altima, sentra, focus, taurus, etc. Anything in those two classes is what you want.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RunningRioT said:
honda crx
Out of all the cars mentioned in this thread...that would be my last choice. Sorry, but they aren't very good in snow, and are insane rice burners unless you keep them completely stock, which his ugly. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! My dad is thinking about giving me his truck (1998[i think] Dodge Ram 1500)...not really good in snow...and not very good on gas, but if I get it for free or for real cheap, I will take it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
well for less insurance and more mpg, try a subaru legacy with awd mine cost me 5,150 and is great in the snow

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
fenix_freak said:
Out of all the cars mentioned in this thread...that would be my last choice. Sorry, but they aren't very good in snow, and are insane rice burners unless you keep them completely stock, which his ugly. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! My dad is thinking about giving me his truck (1998[i think] Dodge Ram 1500)...not really good in snow...and not very good on gas, but if I get it for free or for real cheap, I will take it.
did i say that you would rice it out? i only reccomended it, because

1. its cheap as hell
2. it gets around 35+ mpg
3. insurance is cheap.

btw, all fwd cars suck in the snow. not just a crx.

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
flowbob said:
ford focus.
Yep focus is a good way to go.

There is also this other car by ford. Its small, has a cool look similar to the pt cruiser and its really cheap. I think i saw one for a couple thousand at portsmout ford

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RunningRioT said:
btw, all fwd cars suck in the snow. not just a crx.
Well yea, but I meant how low the CRX sits. One of my sisters friends used to have a CRX, and on night when he was coming into our driveway, he got stuck because of the snow that was pushed up from the snow plow. It was only about 5-6 inches tall, and his car wouldn't move at all. Maybe his was lowered or something, but I know that if it can't even get through 5 inches of snow (not continuous, just like a drift) it wont work.

pballa15 - the pt cruiser's look is far from cool. My mom used to have one...ugh, I hated it...but I have been looking for a focus though. One of my friends has one and it's kinda nice.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RunningRioT said:
probably lowered, crx's dont come lower than 5 inches stock.

and wow FORD? you are kidding me.. crx>focus.
Wow...just stop with the CRX...im know I'm not going to buy one. I probably won't buy a focus either unless I find one for really cheap. I am going to try to talk my dad into selling/giving me his truck...V8 3/4 ton truck>little 4 banger...but not on gas.

There is a guy down the street selling a 1995 prelude for $6k. I am going to try to talk him down some since I know it has to have a good amount of miles on it.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
RunningRioT said:
and wow FORD? you are kidding me.. crx>focus.
let me guess, everything from ford sucks right? Get a life.

Make sure you check out insurance before you buy the truck. Insurance can be expensive for the bigger trucks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts