Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well PBF, I usually dont have a problem with spyware, however, there is one infection that has avoided my arsenal of tactics. I recently contracted one of those those fake spyware/spyware removal things. Its called antivermis. I've had it before, so I went through my usual steps.

I ran adaware and spybot. No luck.
I ran them both in safe mode. No luck.
I went through some files by hand, deleted some stuff. No luck.
I used "smitfraudfix," which usually gets rid of everything. No luck.
All my definitions are up to date.

The weirdest thing about all this is.. the entire time there is an IE window running in processes that will not go away. It often opens and closes itself very fast while using massive resources. My internet has been very slow also, which leads me to believe whatever is using my computer is taking up my connection as well. arg.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the same exact page I have been using.

Vermis itself is no long there. However, it must have let a bunch of its friends in with it. Hence the IE window that wont go away.

I just tried to uninstall IE from my computer completely, but when I rebooted, IE was still running invisible in the process list.

PS. In the process list, IE is being run by me(admin) to do a windows update. There is a second one running that has the same name but is being run by "System." This is the one that will not close, or upon closing, hastily reopens itself.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
When you ran the scans in safe mode did you run in safe mode WITHOUT networking by chance. You could do the same simply by unplugging your ethernet, too.

I had this happen to me once before. Scans would either say they got everything or say they had nothing. I unplugged my ethernet and ran in safe mode again, and it picked up the same things as before, only this time when I rebooted into Windows regularly it was fine. Perhaps this will help, but possibly not.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
This is what i would do in chrono order.

1) Download and start using Firefox from now on.

2) Download and run CCleaner. This will probably not fix anything, but it will get rid of unwanted temp files and cookies. Along with this, i would uninstall all unneeded progs. (basically to clean up ur comp, you never know though, it may help)

3) Download AVG anti-virus. Its a free trial, you can download all up-to-date updates. Scan whole comp and see if you get anything.

4) Download Mcafee/Norton through a torrent. This way you can get full service/updates. Scan your comp with these.

The programs that you listed are okay, but IMO anti-virus software is some of the best, for viruses AND spyware/adware. Is there any more info you could give us about your problem? If all else fails, back up ur stuff and reformat.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thats the same exact page I have been using.

Vermis itself is no long there. However, it must have let a bunch of its friends in with it. Hence the IE window that wont go away.

I just tried to uninstall IE from my computer completely, but when I rebooted, IE was still running invisible in the process list.

PS. In the process list, IE is being run by me(admin) to do a windows update. There is a second one running that has the same name but is being run by "System." This is the one that will not close, or upon closing, hastily reopens itself.

Let me get this straight. You removed it but now you have an iexplorer.exe always running. What is the problem with that? It does nt mean it is a virus. Various things can run iexplorer.exe files in the background for updates. Such as adaware removers, virus updates and so on. The iexplorer.exe that is running while you do your windows updates is from my guess one that is coming from the updates itself. Possibly a link to connect to the antivirus to a databse or something. Nothing to be majorly alarmed about.

Look at my system. I never did windows updates, I dont have any adaware or antivirus that ever runned on the system and it is running top notch.

I also advice against Norton or MacAfee software. Its more trouble then anything else. Believe, I know from experience.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, by combining a number of posts from the people here, thanks guys, I managed to fix it.

That internet explorer window was 100% a problem because it at up nearly 60% of my system resources at all times, as well as killed my internet connection. It would constantly "dance" around my processes window because it was opening and closing so fast. Turns out I had some trojan/virus/spyware combo that took a screen shot of whatever I was doing very rapidly and uploaded it to where ever it was going.

I installed McAfee firewall, AVG, windows defender, and a number of programs. I ran them all on full scan in safe mode with no internet and took out a number of bad files.

Well, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I also advice against Norton or MacAfee software. Its more trouble then anything else. Believe, I know from experience.
I installed McAfee firewall, AVG, windows defender, and a number of programs. I ran them all on full scan in safe mode with no internet and took out a number of bad files.
Strikr, more trouble then anything else? If you cannot install anti-virus software, update it by clicking "update," and scan your computer by clicking "scan computer" than you deserve to get a virus:) Obviously the problem that he described was very abnormal, and was most likely a virus or spyware/adware. Plus its much quicker than reformating the whole drive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Strikr, more trouble then anything else? If you cannot install anti-virus software, update it by clicking "update," and scan your computer by clicking "scan computer" than you deserve to get a virus:) Obviously the problem that he described was very abnormal, and was most likely a virus or spyware/adware. Plus its much quicker than reformating the whole drive.
DJS, go shove a tree up your ass.
I never said he should partition his drive. I never mentioned the reasons I do not recommend running Norton and McAfee.

Now what he said was there is an iexplorer.exe that is run by system. As a technician this does not help me one bit.
It tells me the person does not know what it going on so I cannot determine anything. You just got a lucky guess by saying it was a virus.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
DJS, go shove a tree up your ass.
I never said he should partition his drive. I never mentioned the reasons I do not recommend running Norton and McAfee.

...I also advice against Norton or MacAfee software. Its more trouble then anything else.
For disagreeing with you, you tell me to shove a tree up my ass? lol cmon man, thats pretty pathetic, grow up. Why not run Norton and McAfee? The only time i ever have either of them installed is if I suspect I have a virus myself. It seems silly not to run them, its not exactly hard.

It often opens and closes itself very fast while using massive resources. My internet has been very slow also
Lucky guess? LOL, if that doesnt sound like a virus after clicking a "fake spyware/spyware removal thing," than i dont know what does. Dont be mad because you offered him zero helpful advice. Quit being so ignorant.

This thread is done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts