Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background on things leading up to tonight with the g/f. When I first started dating her she smoked. Well I told her that I wasn't gonna be in any kinda long term relation ship with a smoker. Because personally I think its disgusting besides obvious health risks. Well going on about 6 months in she keeps on saying shes gonna quit blah blah blah. Well I tell her straight up either she needs to go on and quit like she said she was going to or we need to go ahead and end things.

Well she finally quits (yay). Tonight on the way home a group of sport bikes went riding past and I said I want to get one of those. She said well if you get one your gonna have to get another g/f. I literally said WTF! She says you can die on one of those. So if you can control what I do by giving me the ultimatum to quit smoking I can do the same about you gettin a bike.

Yeah, sure I could get killed on a bike and could also get killed driving down the road in my blazer.

So am I right to think she is being a bit irrational about this and that two situations are completely different?

or

Am I the thats being ****ed up about this situation?

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Sport bikes are so much cooler then a *****y girlfriend.

If you were my age a bike would get you laid, not cut you off lol.

Maybe make a deal.. let her smoke as long as you can ride? I mean if you're considering breaking up with her just because she smokes, then she's probably not that special towards you anyways. I know that if I'm in a relationship, I absolutely hate it when someone tries to change me. Yes, I know what you're doing is a good change, but she's going to have to want to quit and on her own.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
She has a legitimate concern, if you guys are in a committed relationship. But you also have to realize it's your life, so I think you two will have to come to a balance. Talk to her about it, she obviously feels strongly about you not having a motorcycle, and you feel strongly in her not smoking.

In my opinion, I wouldn't get the motorcycle, she is doing something for you, I would do something for her. But if you feel really really strongly about the motorcycle, do you have any habits she'd like you to stop? If so, try to come to a compromise, but still get a bike. Or try and see how she feels about a smaller bike or what not.

And Nick, smoking for some people is a huge deal. I would break up with my girlfriend if she started smoking, it's a disgusting and unhealthy habit.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She was the one that offered to quit smoking in the beginning, cause I ready to end it then but she said she would change. We have been together for around a year and 2-3 months, I do care for her and all and don't really want to loose what we have of a bike I don't even have yet. She has also been quit for about 2.5 months now too. Hell what I would probably end up doing is just coming home with the bike and what happens happens (maybe).

Who's in the wrong here is she for what shes doing now or me for what I did when she wouldn't go on and quit?

Is anyone in the wrong and we are both just ****in stupid?

Edit to RLY.

The only thing she *****es at me about is xbox. She told me one day that I was addicted to xbox, I lold hard that day. I play about 3-5 hrs a week, total. As for the smaller bike thing I mentioned that aswell and did not seem to change things. I rode dirt bikes for few years and I have ridden several different street bikes on numerous occasions. So I'm not a complete bike noob but she doesn't understand that. Sometimes I think its payback for me pushing her to quit after she told me in the beginning that she would do it on her own.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I don't think either of you are wrong, it's just a different opinion you guys have, and if you'll just have to work through, if you think she is worth it. Talk to her about it (if she happens to be a reasonable woman), and see what kind of compromise she'll accept.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
The simple answer is don't get a bike. :)
Meh.. I guess if I had to choose between a girl and a bike, I'd honestly choose the bike. Unless the girl really meant something to me and I absolutely for sure wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, bike rules in favor. I just love riding, won't let a ***** take that away from me.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Meh.. I guess if I had to choose between a girl and a bike, I'd honestly choose the bike. Unless the girl really meant something to me and I absolutely for sure wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, bike rules in favor. I just love riding, won't let a ***** take that away from me.
it sounds to me lie pierced is one of those "unless" stetments.

let it sit on her for a while, she may change her mind. during that time don't say anything about it or she's gonna feel like you're trying to persuade her;women HATE that.(and that's half the reason I don't have a girlfrind. lol)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
yeah, girl>bike.

the only thing the bike has over the girl is if you crash it, you can replace it with the same bike. you can't do that with a girl.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Whereas smoking poses "potential" risks in the future, riding a bike poses immediate actual risks in the present.

She has a very valid point, and if you tell her she can't smoke b/c of health reasons, then she can tell you you can't ride a bike with even better reasoning.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Such a familiar scenario for me. My girlfriend (of a year and a half) doesn't want me smoking bud (still do it, shh). So to spite her I tell her she can't drink.

It's all about spite.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
While she may be sour for making her quit, you're obviously very important to her to have her quit cigs for you. It's also a legitimate concern not let you ride. Bikes are dangerous as ****, doesn't matter how careful of a driver you are, other drivers can still be stupid.

Little story.. I was at my buddy's house after practice one day and we hear this single screech and eventually a huge scrape. Then screaming. We looked out the window and there was a girl running from her car to a pile of.. person on the road. The dude got majorly ****ed up, though he was wearing a helmet, he still broke ribs, his back, and a leg. The girl pulled out in front of him on a highway, speed limit 55 mph. He easily could have died. My mom's dumb **** fiance at the time had a bike and I straight up told her I don't want her riding on it. /mystory.

I know bikes are cool and all but personally, I don't see how the dangers can balance out the thrill factor. If this girl is a keeper, definitely just don't get a bike and spend the rest of your life with her.

My thoughts. Also, PM me your AIM address please, I don't have it.

D

·
0 Posts
Seeing as a great friend of my parents just died 2 days ago in a bike crash, Id have to say she's got a point. (He was a very experienced rider, he'd been racing for a few years, he was a skilled biker..)

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
but d_smalls, peopel get killed in cars too. race car drivers also die. It can go either way the way i see it.

there's a lot of things we do each day that can kill us. Water is a big one. Sure you can swim but what if you get hurt or something? you're basically dead if nobody can get to you.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Whereas smoking poses "potential" risks in the future, riding a bike poses immediate actual risks in the present.

She has a very valid point, and if you tell her she can't smoke b/c of health reasons, then she can tell you you can't ride a bike with even better reasoning.
I've decided that my mind has enough human capital and growth potential that riding a bike is now to risky.

oh, and I agree with dhill, Allen, you're own reasoning kicked your own ass man.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I see it as this... I took my nap I will be helpful.

Riding a bike is going to, obviously, be dangerous. It might not kill you at all, but it could kill you the same day you get your hands on it.

Smoking, again, may not kill you the first time you do it, but eventually it's going to come back and get you, you might not die because of it, but I promise it will cut down on your years. On top of that doing anything with someone that smokes... well sucks. So I see it as, if you really want that bike, deal with the rank ass smoke breathe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts