Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gots my Ford Ranger here, that is a 3.0 v6, totally stock. What can I do to give her some extra ponys, and not cost alot.
I need a new clutch, but I dont want another stock clutch. Whats a good performance clutch? I have looked at the centerforce clutch, but havent seen any reviews on her....
Intake: I know they dont really give good horsepower, but whats a good intake that would fit my 3.0? I dont know what year the engine is though....
Exhaust: Whats a good exhaust? My friend has a JC whitney dually, and he really likes it. Anything thats a good performance exhaust, and not a obscene fortune?
Any other mods that arent a whole lot? I would tear apart the engine and clean everything, but I dont have a garage at my disposal....

Thanks guys!

Ohh yeah, my trucks a standard, not a pussy automatic..lol, jk

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
what year is your ranger?

there really isn't much short of internal engine work that you can do to get any really good hp out of a 3.0. the only years that they have aftermarket intakes for that are worth much are the newer ones(99+ i think), but if yours is at least a 95 its easy to adapt for a cone filter rather than the stock airbox.

exaust wise: best thing to do w/o droppin a wad of cash is an exaust job at a local shop. won't cost much more than 100-150.

the 3.0 is just not a power platform...

oo yeah! i almost forgot. the BEST performance upgrade for a 3.0 is an underdrive pulley. not only will it reduce the load on the engine form accessories but it will also give hp, some gas mileage, etc. the best place to get one is from a guy on www.therangerstation.com. http://www.therangerstation.com/DZKpulleys/index.htm

theres the link to his page on trs.

another good idea is an electric fan for it too.

beyond that, you're lookin at intake and exaust porting, new rear end gearing, mabye some roller bearing rockers, etc.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would of got the DZK pulley, but you hafta use a certain belt for it, and I cant get that belt at my local Napa, so I didnt ge tit, but am considering it.

Also, my trucks a 1993, but I am not sure what year the engine is, so I might be able to slap a higher year filter on, not sure.

Also, I am a member of Rangerstation, I go there quite often.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
good man. trs rocks. is napa your only store? the tech section on trs about the dkz pullies gives part #'s and what not, and seriously, how often do you replace a belt?

its easy to have like an exaust shop fab u up an intake pipe, but it's easier to find a 95+ tube for after the airbox so your cone is just in the front left corner of the underhood.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
tailgate actually helps gas mileage, they did some wind tunnel testing. it turns out that it creates a pocket of air that is moving and that keeps other air from getting down in there and causing more drag...

anyway.

we've already been over the k&n deal, you have to do some mods for these older rangers, flowmasters, good idea, also been covered. between the two, on an engine like this you won't see too much of a gain, 10 if you're lucky.

wouldn't hurt to move your iat sensor to where it gets a tad cooler air, that'd help you out a bit i'm sure, just don't do it if you already spark knock.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have knock, and I have a cap on my truck right now, so I get fairly good gas mileage, but I got pretty good gas mileage before. Definately getting a tonneau cover for it. Flowmaster is nice, but very expensive.

By the way, I have replaced 3 belts in the past 6 months. First belt broke. Then my Alternator ceased, then my water pump ceased. So, yeah, I need a place were I can get a belt.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
ok this may take some research but I believe the 3.0 V6 in a ranger is the same block and heads as the 4.0 V6 pushrod engine in the explorer with a longer stroke and bigger bore. And they make a twin screw super charger for the 4.0 for about 2 grand. With some minor modifications that supercharger might work.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
they make a whipple sc for the 99+ 3.0's

but we're old school. i'm not sure how close those two blocks are. i've never heard of them being close. could be tho.

iono whats up with your belts man. i've replaced one, and only cause it was squeelin a tad.

i've had to replace the alternator(in the auto zone parking lot...), belt, heater core, radiator, and starter on my truck.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am gonna look at flowmasters. I might go with a flowmaster, and some other crap.

Also, yeah Smitty, I think the blocks are close to the same, just a longer stroke, but I am not gonna get a supercharge kit, but that would be nice....pulling up next to my friends Saab 9000 Turbo and smoke him....ahhh....where was I?

Might consider it, also the whipple I dont think will work for my truck. I have a 1993 Ranger by the way, if anyone didnt know...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts