Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well...i have a tippmann 98 custom and i have a double trigger but i dont know what length barrel to get...i want a J & J ceramic 16" or 20" because i usually stay in one spot and pick people off....any ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
dont' go higher than 16. contrary to popular new player belief, barrel length does not equal more accuracy. a 8 inch barrel will eb the same as a 12 and 14 and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would get a 16" barrel with the 20" is too long and it drains your tank which is annoying and it makes it front heavy

·
Registered
86 Posts
so then as per sniping goes, what type of barrel is best to get???
really sniping is an impossibility in paintball...1. markers generally can't shoot far enough or legally at high enough speeds to snipe. 2. unless you're playing a long scenario game, games aren't long enough to sit, settle in so that the opposite team can't see you, wait until another team member wanders by and pick them off without them knowing where you are. and 3. barrels won't make you shoot any farther or accurate enough to snipe no matter how long it gets

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ignoring the typical "sniping in paintball is a myth" argument the best barrel to get is a high quality barrel with a bore that matches your paint nicely. The ideal barrel length is around 12"-14" some like longer barrels and some like shorter (I'm partial to 10") whatever floats your boat. As long as the inside is smooth and your paint to bore match is good you will get the best possible accuracy.
Agree with Crawdaddy. Get a barrel kit with different bore backs and various length ends, so you don't limit yourself to just one barrel.
Personally I like shorter barrels. I used a 16" in one of my first games ever and didn't have a good time. The general rule of thumb is shorter barrels have slightly less accuracy but higher velocity, longer barrels have slightly higher accuracy but less velocity. It took me getting a barrel kit to realize the difference. You need to try out different lengths to truly grasp your preference.
And whatever you do, try out a Flatline or Apex BEFORE buying them. Different strokes for different folks, but I'm beginning to despise my Flatline.

·
Registered
162 Posts
speaking of the JJ ceramic, does anybody know what the bore is on it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
According to their website, all J&J ceramic barrels are .688. According to various forums online, the bore size has changed over the years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
if barrel length does not matter then why does sp make there freak system ranging from 12" - 20" barrel tips?

The only reason i see any need to carrie a relativly long barrel is when i am out of paint and playing barrel tag (tehe)

it's always funny to see some one's reaction when you tap them with your barrel and call them out. (how'd you get behind me)

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
because people want longer barrels not knowing they do no good. companies make off a profit from them knowing they'll buy the longer barrel. It's sad really.

A 16 inch barrel isn't all the bad if you play back on a speedball field. you can push it into the side of the bunker and it'll conform to it, leaving you with less sticking out to get hit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2005/Projects/S0213.pdf

Read this. It's only a page long pdf and it explains an experiment performed to see how barrel length effects velocity and accuracy.
The best barrel in the experiment was the 12 inch barrel, the 14 inch barrel trailing a close second.
You don't need something ridiculous like a 21" barrel, it'll decrease your ball's velocity so much that when it exits the barrel, it won't be able to travel far and it will arch downwards sooner than if you shot with a shorter barrel.
Finding the right barrel for you is about equilibrium and personal preference. And personally, I ditched my Flatline because I was tired of everyone being able to dodge my shots. Who cares about range when the paintball can't even get there fast enough or hit what you're aiming at?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts