Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a quick upgrade from my birthday money that I had planned on spending on a sound system or paintball but my computer took a dump.

To start things off... My computer:

ASUS P4R800-VM mobo
Intel P4 1.8ghz processor
ATI RADEON 9600 PRO AGP 8X 256MB
1 gig Kingston DDR 2700 RAM
Western Digital 80 gig HD (7,200 RPM)

I'm ordering this for sure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144102

I'm not sure if I want to make the switch to AMD or not, but the prices are looking very nice. Pretty much I want a new mobo and cpu and need guidance. I'm looking for a boost in preformance for as least as possible. I'm not saying I can only spend like... 100 on it all but I don't want or need the best of the best. My video card is fine for now because the only games I play are cs:s and cod2... Nothing special.

Another thing, I don't have a boughten copy of XP but I have a friend who said I could use his copy. I know this isn't legal but do you really think it's worth it to buy a $200 OS?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well first things bud you need a socket 939 AMD CPU to go with that motherboard, the CPU you chose is a socket 775 Intel. You want something along the lines of an Athlon64 3000+. As for RAM, you can find 1gig for ~$100 of good pc3200 Cas2. The lower the better with cas ratings. As for a video card, either an X1600XT or a 6800GS, PCI-E of course, would do awesome.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I still stand behind what I said, buy either an a64 3200, or if you can find one for 150, a opteron 144/146, but make sure its socket 939. As for motherboard... I cant think of any of the top of my head but the Asus A8R-MVP is supposedly a pretty decent board for only around $100. 1 gig of PC3200 cas 2 and your good. Then either X1600XT, 7600GT, or 6800GS. They all preform the same, but the 7600GT edges out the other two by a small amount.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You mean 300 for new everything? Oooh... Hmmm..... You did say your current video card was fine... Hmmm... You could keep your ram, which would save you money, and I know you can find some AGP 939 boards easy enough.... So If you buy an Athlon 64 3200 for ~$150, then an AGP motherboard(cant think of any ATM), that should only cost you.. maybe $70 lets say, and then you still have some left over. If I get bored I'll find a AGP socket 939 board for you.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I mean, I don't need new everything. CPU, mobo, hd... I've seen mobo's for like 70ish and my hd is only 50. 180 or less for a cpu? I MIGHT need new ram but if I need that, I expect to pay another 100 or so as well as with the video card. The only way I'd get a video card is if I get more money for my bday than I think I'm gonna get.

And Rodney, you're an idiot.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Aha! I just remembered the perfect motherboard for you. The AsRock 939 Dual sata-2. It has both AGP and PCI-E slots, and is socket 939. That way you can get a new motherboard and CPU, and keep all your old stuff. Then, later on, if you get more money, you have the ability to upgrade to a newer card, while not being held back by AGP. I know at monarchcomputer.com, you can get an Opteron 144 for 129, and an AsRock dual for 69. Then just pick up a better PSU if you need it, and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
i'd get a bigger HD than another 80. i was able to get my 120gb for 40 bucks after rebates. you just have to wait for the right deals.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That is an AWESOME CPU. Dont compare amd CPU's to intel CPU's. AMD's do more work pre clock, and therefore can run at a lower speed, and still be just as fast if not faster. Comparing a P4 to a a64 by clockspeed is like comparing my dad's 400hp f-350 with a stock s2000, yes the f-350 has more hp, but that doesnt mean anything.

Also, if you ever feel the need, that CPU has a 99% chance to overclock like mad. Many of them can, if overclocked, reach speeds of AMD's FX-57, their top of the line single core cpu, that costs about $800. But even without overclocking that CPU is awesome. It will be MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than your current 1.8ghz p4.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I currently have 160 so I'm going to go a ahead and order my hd and that mobo. I could just swap them out, upload my OS and everything should be dandy, right? About the more than 80 gigs... I have an 8 gig slave that I throw random stuff onto. I'm not planning on storing huge amounts of media on my computer. I will only have iTunes and if it ever happens, I will have photography on there which case 80 should be plenty, I think.

Sounds good with the opteron. I'm not too comfortable with overclocking and running the risk of the chip burning up haha.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yup, thats the same motherboard.

While he is right, the opteron is better even if you dont overclock. It has 1mb cache, compared to a 3200venice, which has 512kb. More cache is better. The main reason people buy them is because many of them can get to 2.7ghz on their stock cooling. Now i beleive monarch is selling them OEM, with no HSF, so you would need to buy a heatsink.

Sorry, but you can swap the HDD, but you cannot swap the motherboard. You currect CPU is most likely socket 478, and even if it were socket 775, it would not work, becuase intel's and AMDs use different sockets. The only way you could switch them out is if you had an ancient socket 7 rig, and those use VERY old CPU's, so you definately dont have one of those. You could get a regular a64, but for the same price i would definately get the opteron.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I'll order the HDD and install the OS and get everything straight. Then, I can swap mobo and cpu when I get the cash and it should run fine? Will I have to update BIOS or anything of that sort?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
big_balla89 said:
So, I'll order the HDD and install the OS and get everything straight. Then, I can swap mobo and cpu when I get the cash and it should run fine? Will I have to update BIOS or anything of that sort?
you may have to reinstall windows with a new mobo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts