Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought my new computer back in 8th grade so like 2 years ago.. Here's the current specs.

Asus Motherboard X Series
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ *little over 2ghz*
40gb and 120gb Western Digital Harddrives
512mb PC2700 DDR Memory
Nvidia GeForce 5200 128mb Video Card

The video card is quite old.. I'm kind of looking into upgrading it. And as far as memory goes, another 1gb stick was shipped to me yesterday so it should be here tomorrow, so I'll have 1.5gb of memory.

Not really sure if I want to upgrade the motherboard and processor yet.. I think they are okay.

So mainly I need to know a good high quality Video Card, better than mine, for no more than 100 bucks..

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have the A7V8X-X, pretty nice motherboard. pretty similar system, 512 megs pc2700, 80 gig WD HDD, except i have a 2800, not a 3200. I also have a 6600GT, but something in the system died... Not sure what.

With the 6600GT, I was able to play fear and such at medium settings, it was a nice little card, although sadly I think that was what failed. You could also pick up a 6800GT.

·
Registered
85 Posts
get a pci express mobo and a new vid card it will run you like 175-200 but it will be worth it trust me that's what i'm doing after i play my next tourney whether i win or not.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It will run him alot more than 200, becuase he will need a new CPU, and if you only spend 200, then that isnt a very good video card. Just get a 6600GT/6800GS/GT.

·
Registered
85 Posts
um he won't need a new cpu you can still get mobo's that are compatible. and i am going to get a X1300 for 125 the mobo is around 75 so i'm set there just going off of my setup for prices roughly

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
for under 100 you can probably get a 9800 pro, but i know almost nothing when it comes to upgrading computers these days

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
VX1100 said:
um he won't need a new cpu you can still get mobo's that are compatible. and i am going to get a X1300 for 125 the mobo is around 75 so i'm set there just going off of my setup for prices roughly
Really no point in buying a motherboard and not getting the latest socket.

If you have the money for one buy a decent one. That way 4 months down the road when you have the money for a cpu upgrade, you aren't stuck buying an entirely new one again.

You're best bet is listening to Zeruel and getting one of those.

·
Registered
920 Posts
VX1100 said:

I dont think I have seen a socket a PCI-E motherboard.... Although I havent really looked. Besides, as I said a DECENT video card. An X1300 is not decent, especially for gaming. As NYY said, a used 9800Pro would be nice, but you could probably pick up a used 6600GT for that. Sorry, I didnt notice the less than $100 part..... If thats the case, try to find either a used 6600GT, or a used 9800Pro would be your best bet. They both perform about the same, as they both have 8 pipes. I would try for the 6600GT though(if you can find one), as they have SM3.0, which is always nice. But you are more likely to find a used 9800Pro for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts