Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM, maybe vid card, and GHZ, whats a good way to go about this? would i need a new motherboard?

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
what's GHZ??
you don't need to upgrade your mobo depending on what you get. find out what kind of ram you have and get the same kind. on the vid card, also find out if you're using an AGP or a PCI card. if you have an AGP slot you can get an AGP card, as well as a PCI. I dunno the performance diff, there's far nerdier guys on here to tell you ;)

speak of the devil there's one!! ^^

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
prophet, thats what i'm finishing....

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well...i just got my laptop 1 week ago....

200-250 at that, for parts....it shouldn't take much to tweak this thing.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Tell us what mobo it's got, then we can tell you whether it's worth it to upgrade or if you're going to have to get a whole new comp.

For $200-250 you're going to have to re-use a lot of stuff. That might be able to get you a new mobo, RAM, CPU, and maybe a hard drive, if you look around and settle for something a bit less.

-Jin

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eh, i got a 40 GB HD, and i'm running 1.7 Gigahertz...my memory is 1024 MB...hmm..i got intel stuff....750 something....i don't remember all the details....ugh. I hate buying from dell, but i was forced into this situation...(don't be an ass about it either...i know that was my first mistake...)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i might jump up a little....i think i'm using more RAM than i intended....

1.7 is good...so far. It can play all my emulators well, but i was just thinking of cranking out a little more.

so a vid card would be really all i need then?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like to be ahead of times....honestly, i think its about 77% free, which is normal, but i want a lil more. emulators take alot more space than i thought, even though i'm sure it won't use up much more.....

maybe its just because i'm paranoid...

I was also thinking about putting windows and Linux on here.....both OS's

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
everest home edition. Search for that, it can give u all ur system stats. Thats how i knew what type of ram i got from dell, and my video card type so i could get new drivers.

actually, if he got ****ty slow ram he might want to switch to a different type. But 1gb of it is fine. I have that much and it craps out from time to time (thanks dell)

i'm thinking of building a comp myself. could u guys list whats the best board/chip set, good memory, and nice video card (think i'll go ATI here, since my nvidia died (though i've had the ati longer and run it constantly for like 2 yrs)) are??

I'm looking for decent mid-end stuff, maybe $800 would be the cap all told.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't tell you much, but i just know the most recommended store i've seen is newegg.com and AMD kingston and crucial are suppose to be good brands...outside of that i have no clue.

oh...my rams not crappy, i haven't had any problems with it yet....on any dell system we ever owned.....

but i think i'm going to upgrade my HD and vid card. in all honesty, i might chuck windows and go linux...........its actually looking really nice, and i don't game outside of emulators....

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Bobide - $800 for just a tower can get you some really nice stuff. www.newegg.com for everything, of course. I can't stress how amazing New Egg is. Amazing customer service, incredibly fast shipping, great deals, just over all the best comp site I know of. For memory, go Crucial, Kingston, or OCZ. ATI or NVidia....debatable, can go either way. Generally I say ATI though.

-Jin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts