Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pretty outrageous question, but here it is: is it possible to affix a V8 engine into an E36 M3? If you don't know the stock engine is a 3.0L I-6, 240bhp. Engine bay is pretty tight as it is. Curious if it can be done... and if so at what cost for the installation as i assume much modifications would be made. (Remove the ECU, ODB1, completely and revert to older speedo to avoid electronic tuning and config??) Thanks. :devil: I emailed my engine shop but am curious as to what you guys think.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
why don't you just build the 6 instead? That V8 would probably throw the weight all out of proportion on that car, thus if you like to handle, you can kiss that goodbye. I'd just build the 6 and do a single turbo setup.

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go drive your asian quad and I'll stick with my m3. I don't know what I'm full of **** about and I couldn't really care less what your answer is to that but no need to be a dick.

punkdrummer--that is obviously an idea for speed and power but its so very common with the E36 M3 that I was hoping to do something totally different.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Go drive your asian quad and I'll stick with my m3. I don't know what I'm full of **** about and I couldn't really care less what your answer is to that but no need to be a dick.

punkdrummer--that is obviously an idea for speed and power but its so very common with the E36 M3 that I was hoping to do something totally different.

We are still waiting on pictures.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
QFT^^^

and lol to your sig.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd like to take the 454 intercepter we have in our rv and put it in my buick. HEHE

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Yeah where are the pictures of the so said "Supercharged M3"?

Also if you even DID own that car, why the **** would you want to swap a V8?

Asain Quad? LOL

Too bad my car is ****ing American you dumbass. Nice try though. Oh and once I get a few bugs worked out, my car could walk all over yours.

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's at the shop, as i said, and taking longer than expected (yay german cars), can't wait for it to come back, have some faith. Your car couldnt walk all over mine, get real. I know you are proud of your car but don't be ignorant.

Why swap a V8? Because it's never been done to my knowledge (well, there is one Dutch hill-climb racer that had it done but with a 5L BMW V8 and it kicked ass)... all cars like this are simply turboed to the limit and I would rather do something unique, perhaps thats a bit hard for you to understand. And I DO own that car... I'll be sure to put my sig in it somehow so you don't cry shens.

If anyone wants to offer some real help and not ***** about their car and criticize my decision, it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
It's at the shop, as i said, and taking longer than expected (yay german cars), can't wait for it to come back, have some faith. Your car couldnt walk all over mine, get real. I know you are proud of your car but don't be ignorant.

Why swap a V8? Because it's never been done to my knowledge (well, there is one Dutch hill-climb racer that had it done but with a 5L BMW V8 and it kicked ass)... all cars like this are simply turboed to the limit and I would rather do something unique, perhaps thats a bit hard for you to understand. And I DO own that car... I'll be sure to put my sig in it somehow so you don't cry shens.

If anyone wants to offer some real help and not ***** about their car and criticize my decision, it would be appreciated.
I would put money down that I would destroy you at the track. You don't even know what's done to my car or what's in the mail..

So if you even own the car, you're going to completely ruin it? Noone's ever done it because well, it's pretty much useless and isn't practical at all. It's a BMW dude, you'll just ruin the car and end up wasting a lot of money. More then likely you'll run out of money, get fed up with it, etc. and just sell the car for whatever you can get and suffer a huge loss.

I'm being real here. If you want to swap a V8 into "your" BMW, be prepared to spend atleast 10-15 grand...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Here's real help. If u don't know what this entails, don't do it. I can tell u right now ur going to have to atleast upgrade all parts of the drivetrain, b/c if u wanna seriously powerful v8, it's gonna snap the stock ****. Also, beefier suspension, and serious brakes. But if ur not gonna mod the v8, it's a waste of ****in money. But outta curiosity, why is it that whenever someone gets a ride, they take pictures of it to show off, yet u can't come up with just one?

·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My suspension is upgraded fairly well (bilsteins, X-brace, rear-control-arm, still havent gotten the front one) and my brake setup is just fine at handling the supercharged engine. If i had the means I would no doubt get a big brake kit but since its not necessary yet I am not going to buy it. Things to upgrade would be: Clutch (has to be done anyways) and reinforce the frame because the torque would be insane; transmission (be a convenient time to go 6-speed) and if money permitted I would do a wide-body at the same time. Thats about 10,000-12,000.

leet you don't know whats done to my car either, and in our current car situations I could beat you granny shifting since you supposedly have some 'bugs' to work out. I have plans for mine (besides the V8 muse) and if they were done I highly doubt you would beat my car... but since we will probably never know it doesn't matter that much. :cool:

also, I dont know why you keep saying 'ruining the car'. Sorry I'm not into buying a Turbo bolt on kit from AA that'll give me 500hp for 11,000, a little too run of the mill. I'd rather spend a few thousand more and acheive a more unique finish, a real show-stopper too, and have equal or more hp and significantly more torque. I understand the M3 isn't built for a V8 but its not built for a GT35 turbo either. I want to do something unique and interesting and you seem to hate it for that. The weight-ratio issue will easily be resolved if the excellent handling is what you are referring to, btw.

meat: not gonna mod the V8? Uh... I don't know if you know how fast some V8 engines are... Not much practical application for upgrading 550-720hp engines. Although, I am considering going for a lower HP and then using my current supercharger molded with a custom hosing setup to sc the V8. Obviously this is all just thoughts since no wheels are officially in motion.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
There are a few LS1/LS2 BMWs out there. It's a tight fit and it costs a lot of money to do, but it is possible.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I know Dooms browses ST:A from time to time so I'll ask him...was there not a thread about this a while back with some guys who had put like an E60 into the M3?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would put money down that I would destroy you at the track. You don't even know what's done to my car or what's in the mail..

So if you even own the car, you're going to completely ruin it? Noone's ever done it because well, it's pretty much useless and isn't practical at all. It's a BMW dude, you'll just ruin the car and end up wasting a lot of money. More then likely you'll run out of money, get fed up with it, etc. and just sell the car for whatever you can get and suffer a huge loss.

I'm being real here. If you want to swap a V8 into "your" BMW, be prepared to spend atleast 10-15 grand...
I'm doubting he really has the car, but if he does have a supercharged M3, he would most likely wreck you.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I know Dooms browses ST:A from time to time so I'll ask him...was there not a thread about this a while back with some guys who had put like an E60 into the M3?
That's what made me think of it. They stuck an S85B50 in an M3. There is also an E21 (or E30?) with a LS1 I think. There used to be videos on youtube or streetfire.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
And how were the results?
Fast

:)

Really though, I think one would be better off with a turbo on the I6. Guys get plenty of power out of them and it's much easier than trying to transplant a V8 in there. Plus it doesn't throw off the handling too much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts