Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to paintball and was wondering if any of you guys have any preferences among smart parts barrels. I have an Ion. I am looking for an accurate barrel that can increase my range. Any suggestions for an insanely accurate barrel will be appreciated!

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
CP makes a good barrel for the price get either the 14 or 16 inch.

For good accuracy it comes down to how good your paint is and how well it fits in your barrel. Also how consistent your marker is over the chrono will affect it as well.

Personal I use a FREAK barrel kit with any where from an 8.5" to 18" front depending on the field, how I am playing, and what I am playing with. (I never will use the 8.5 on my pump again after shooting my thumb off the pump handle) In heavier brush I tend to use a longer front to be able to wait in the brush alittle easier. While if I am playing in a "close combat" style field I use the shorter barrel (the 8.5 is perfect for working trench feilds)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! What exactly does the kit consist of opposed to JUST buying the barrel? Also, how much would a FREAK barrel kit cost?

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
A barrel kit tend to consist of a set of inserts or backs that let you match the bore of the barrel to your paint.

The basic barrel kit is a 2 part kit in which you will get a set of 'backs' that will each have a different bore that is the same thread as your gun and a 'front' that will let you change the over all length of the barrel. Some 2 piece kits will use a 'front' that is the barrel and a set of 'inserts' that let you change the bore but your stuck with a set length.

The higher end kits are 3 piece kit that contains set of 'inserts' that let you change the bore size, a 'back' that will let you change the threads of the barrel so you can use the same set of 'inserts' on different guns, and a 'front' that will let you change the length of the barrel.

Often the fronts will be a larger bore then the 'backs' or 'inserts' so they don't have as much of an effect on the ball as the 'backs' or 'inserts'

The advantage of a barrel kit vs a bunch of barrels is room in the gear bag and flexibility. For example I have 4 backs, 8 inserts, and 4 fronts which is about the same as carrying 128 barrels.

A freak kit is hard to find new now as Smart Parts has gone bankrupt. but you can find a bunch of em on ebay for just about any gun

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm really really new to paintball, and ironically I just bought a one piece CP barrel for $38. Though, I am planning on buying a barrel kit eventually.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, what is a good brand of paint? I would like something good quality but for a decent price. Are Marballizers good?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts