Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how difficult is it to set-up a fourm like this one? when you buy the software do you just upload to your server and set-up the color,mods, etc.? or is there some major PHP programing needed? right now my store is using Ezboard (which kinda sucks) for our forums and im thinking of switching it over to Vbulletin using our current server. im real good with HTML and some JAVA but i have not really messed with PHP. any help is welcome!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Use phpbb, it's opensource so it is more stable, secure, and customizable.

PHP is based on C, so it will be a little harder to learn but you will pick it up quickly once you start using it. There is a large phpbb community so you will not have to do any real coding yourself, unless you want to. Just check out the "hack" (modification) libraries and anything you would want to do has already been done.

Also, check to see what your hosting provider has for services. Most companies allow you access to a database and can run php script but you should check first.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my server is good to go with MySQL and all that. the main reason i want to go with VBulletin is because of the moderator controls. i have a mod now that like to delete to much with Vbulletin i can select not to allow that one mod to be able to delete. the money part is not a problem. i just want to know how hard it is to set up.

·
Bye Bye
2,621 Posts
braka said:
VB is easier to mod, but there isn't anything you can do on vb that you can't do on phpbb with a little work.
exactly. I've ran/modded 4 forums, two of which have been vBulletin and the other two being php. vBulletin is just easier to me and I like how it's set up more, but then again it costs.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Christian said:
exactly. I've ran/modded 4 forums, two of which have been vBulletin and the other two being php. vBulletin is just easier to me and I like how it's set up more, but then again it costs.
thats what im thinking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts