Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking my next car will be a stick shift, instead of the automatic that I currently drive.

A lot of people I know drive stick and it seems pretty fun, puts more talent into driving, and also gives you overall better control of how you want your car to drive. I like the idea, and am willing to look foolish trying.

I know you can't "teach" someone manual online, but there are a few questions I still have. Fact or Fiction... manuals get better mileage if driven correctly. Do they have a future? Is it worth learning for the long run as well?

Also, I am looking for something very cheap and sturdy to learn on. I am going to run a car into the ground to learn on, then perhaps get a new one.

I currently drive a 93' Altima. It only has ~90k miles on it, but its almost cost me and my dad as much as we paid for it in repairs. So far its been radiator, windows, some suspension part, and the muffler. If it craps out again, then I'm looking to move to stick.

Any other general manual advice is welcomed.

Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, a manual CAN get better mileage, if you drive it right. However, Most people dont(myself included). A Future? Well... Yea, sports cars are generally manual, and personally manual is more fun, so yes, I dont see manual's being phased out anytime soon. Yes it is, becuase if you ever decide you can afford a nice sports car, manuals are waaay more fun.

As for learning on one, I highly suggest a truck. I know that my truck has an extremely long clutch, and a stupidly long shifter. It may be slightly harder to learn on , but it will be worth it becuase if you can drive one you can drive anything. I have 92 1500 with a 5 speed. Although if I were you, I would get a Ranger, becuase around here you can pick them up for stupid cheap, a decent condition one for about a grand. Plus, rangers last a long time. Or you could get an S-10 with a 4.3l. 4.3l will last forever. Mine has a hair over 230k and it still runs strong as ever.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Skate and Paint said:
ummm basically wat zeruel said, and dont worry everyone kills it 100 times wen their learning
i've only stalled once, on any manual i've driven (which is about 5 cars, one being this little honda with a really short clutch [supposedly a racing clutch])

some people are just naturally worse than others.

I'd suggest getting someone who is good at explaining things to help you learn, cuz if the person cant express what they're trying to say, things can get confusing trying to learn.

Yeah I'd also suggest maybe learning half on a truck and half on a car, cuz the few trucks I've driven are really easy to get into first, but the long shifter can throw you off

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Yay for learning on a Ford Ranger.

Going from a truck to a car (especially a sports car) is always fun. You get use to the soft clutch in a truck, and then when you put your foot down in a car it's like "Jeez, this thing is tough." Not to mention the difference in shift length.

Of course, going back to a truck you practically put your foot through the bottom of the floor.

-Jin

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
basically the main point in driving a stick is finding the friction point, which is the point at which the clutch starts grabbing. you can move the clutch pedal all you want before that point and it won't do a damn thing. you find that friction point, and start giving it a LITTLE gas, the more you let out the clutch the more gas you give it. start slowly, and on a street in the middle of nowhere or an empty parking lot. basically it just takes practice and PATIENCE. most females can't drive manuals cuz they get super frustrated really quickly (which pisses me off btw). if the car stalls or it starts bucking, you gave it too much clutch, not enough gas, or both. if you squeal the tires, you gave it too much gas. if you start smelling something weird, you're burning up your clutch and using too much gas and not enough clutch.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Z PYRO said:
basically the main point in driving a stick is finding the friction point, which is the point at which the clutch starts grabbing. you can move the clutch pedal all you want before that point and it won't do a damn thing. you find that friction point, and start giving it a LITTLE gas, the more you let out the clutch the more gas you give it. start slowly, and on a street in the middle of nowhere or an empty parking lot. basically it just takes practice and PATIENCE. most females can't drive manuals cuz they get super frustrated really quickly (which pisses me off btw). if the car stalls or it starts bucking, you gave it too much clutch, not enough gas, or both. if you squeal the tires, you gave it too much gas. if you start smelling something weird, you're burning up your clutch and using too much gas and not enough clutch.
Haha yeah most girls I've taught stick in my car gave up after 3 tries.. I think only 2 girls stuck with it and got pretty decent.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Meh, I literally kick the clutch pedal in my truck becuase you have to push it so damn far. I only know of 1 female at my school who can "drive" a manual, and after seeing her drive her grandfathers stang, lets just say i would never let her near any of my vehicles.

And it really isnt that hard not to mess up the clutch, btu if you do, dont worry. Surprisingly enough, mine hasnt died yet.

·
6,721 Posts
oh and the main reason manuals get such better gas mileage is that the transmission is much more efficient than an auto. in an auto trans, the torque converter is a fluid coupling, which means the crankshaft and the transmission aren't actually mechanically connected. the torque converter uses the trans fluid to spin the input shaft on the transmission, so there's always a bit of energy lost. in a manual, the clutch is pretty much physically stuck to the flywheel, so it is much more efficient. so while driving habits are a big influence, the physics of the transmissions are also big causes of gas efficiency

·
Registered
904 Posts
first find someone with a manual so u can learn and get the full point of driving it. Hardest part is going into 1st and reverse, but yeah, get full confidence in it, hands on experience with someone who can be beside you helpin you. If u just jump in ur first car and expect to drive it, u gon tear da clutch out.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If I were you I would find a good looking girl to teach you. I was gonna get one to teach me but then I got distracted and started doing other stuff.

·
6,721 Posts
to make it easier to get into reverse, try putting it in 2nd (with the clutch in), then reverse. I can't remember exactly what makes it easier, I think both those gears are on the same shaft or something to that effect

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
easiest advice i could give for someone starting....
-push clutch pedal down all the way
-start engine
-rev engine to 1500rpms, and hold it there steady
-slowly let off the clutch pedal
-if rpms fall below 1000rpms, give it more gas
-once you hit anywhere from 5-10mph just release the clutch completely

which wont be perfectly smooth or anything, but will get u started. After that its just adapting that method to the specific car

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, thanks a lot guys. I know my dad grew up driving stick and nearly everyone I know at college drives a stick as well, so I won't have a problem finding someone to teach me.

That whole friction point thing is what I've heard the most about being hard to learn. What about the other gears though... like when shifting to 4th, from 3rd, am I supposed to let off the gas completely, press the clutch, switch gears, then hop back on the gas? Or do you leave your foot on the gas while doing that.

Also, wtf is double clutching and why would i do it.. i that only a big truck thing? Ive also heard "heel and toe" mentioned, what is that?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts