Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've begun weight lifting 3 times a week alternating push and pull workouts. Now I have all the workouts sorted out just need to know if there is anything else I should do in correspondance to weight lifting? Like I know to keep hydrated and all that but any other tips?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
cardio. do running, swimming, whatever too. you'll gain strength faster, lose fat faster, and also improve your overall level of health.

edit: although i don't, i know people who have success taking protein supplements. if you just aren't advancing very quickly, or don't have a high protein diet, it could be a good idea.

·
Registered
292 Posts
dont forget to breath... in and out.

·
hotty supreme
2,265 Posts
Do plenty of cardio, I'm not saying you need to go train for the Boston Marathon or anything, but it's always good to atleast run a mile or two to keep fit. I don't really see much of a point to lifting if you're not going to have the physical endurance to go with your new look. Plus running helps ya burn some of that unwanted fat ;). Also eat healthy, take vitamins, etc.

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
I'm also doing weightlifting, 5 days a week (monday through friday...) And every other week only 4 days. I feel better and my muscles are getting bigger. Hamstring excersizes feel so good affter you do them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
yea, i like doing heavy leg workouts, then getting up and walking around. it feels so wierd and cool and stuff. i love it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If your trying to lose fat make sure your eating right. Insted of 3 normal meals a day, eat 4-5 smaller portioned meals through out the day. This helps to speed up for metabolism. For staying hydrated I just bring a gatoraide to school, and fill it up with water inbetween classes.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
outlaner_0990 said:
cardio. do running, swimming, whatever too. you'll gain strength faster, lose fat faster, and also improve your overall level of health.

edit: although i don't, i know people who have success taking protein supplements. if you just aren't advancing very quickly, or don't have a high protein diet, it could be a good idea.
uhhh, running is just the thing that will slow down muscle gains.. all running does is raise metabolism and make you lose some fat (so long as you have a clean diet)

Im gonna tell you up front, a 3 day a week crosstraining workout isn't gonna get you huge or anything, but it will atleast get you in better shape and put a little bit of size on. if you want to get a 5 day split going (which will be what you need if you want some good size) i can hook you up with a program

even more important than the way you lift, even more than the amount of water you drink, even more than the time you sleep, is what you eat. DIET IS EVERYTHING. Your muscles are gonna need far more good calories, protein, and complex carbohydrates (oats, brown rice, wheat bread.. basically carbs that arent sugar based) than usual, and in order to gain anything youre gonna have to vastly increase the amount of food you eat. So long as you are eating clean food, you wont have to worry about putting on fat, because its good stuff that gets used by your muscles. I eat atleast 3,500 clean calories a day, including over 200 grams of protein, and over 250 grams of complex carbs. Your body is a car, so be sure to give it premium gas for optimum performance.

other pointers:

-get 8 hours of a sleep a night.. muscles rebuild when you are sleeping.
-dont overtrain. if youre lifting with overly fatigued muscles, youre over training, so rest up until youre ready (you probably wont have to worry about that with your 3 day plan though)
-check out bodybuilding.com for information on how to properly lift and eat- they have more than enough info to give you

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
Ninja7 said:
If your trying to lose fat make sure your eating right. Insted of 3 normal meals a day, eat 4-5 smaller portioned meals through out the day. This helps to speed up for metabolism. For staying hydrated I just bring a gatoraide to school, and fill it up with water inbetween classes.
if youre trying to put on muscle, dont eat 4-5 smaller meals, eat 6-7 larger meals. pack that **** down till you cant eat anymore!

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
the_white_guy said:
yea, i like doing heavy leg workouts, then getting up and walking around. it feels so wierd and cool and stuff. i love it.
dont mean to keep double posting, but this is very important. Nothing will give you more mass than doing leg workouts. When your legs are rebuilding themselves after being hit hard, the amount of testosterone and other rebuilding chemicals they go through flood through your body and act as a natural supplement to the rest of your muscles.

again, nothing will give you more mass than killing your legs once a week!

·
Banned
393 Posts
Drink pomegrante juice. The stuff does wonders. You still need to do cardio though. Get the blood flowing.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Spudchucker said:
if youre trying to put on muscle, dont eat 4-5 smaller meals, eat 6-7 larger meals. pack that **** down till you cant eat anymore!
actually...eating as much as you can and trying to put on mass usually makes people fat....not everyone has your crazy metabolism spud ;)

Eat a lot, but eat WELL. Take 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh, per day. I weigh 200 now and try to get 200g of protein a day. Most serious bodybuilders take double that.

And listen to spud about legs. I've gained 15 lbs in the past 4 months since i seriously started incorporating deadlifts and squat press into my routine. Deadlifts are more for back and hams but work quads as well. Get a tough leg workout into your routine, and preferable split quads/calves one day and back/hams another day.

my personal split

Day 1 chest/bis
Day 2 off
Day 3 quads/calves
Day 4 shoulders
Day 5 off
Day 6 back/hams
Day 7 off

I dont necessarily recommend that split if youve just started, stick to the push and pull workouts....for now. Once you stop seeing gains in muscle, look into a more complex split.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my weight lifting schedule is:

Day 1 - Push
Day 2 - Off
Day 3 - Pull
Day 4 - Off
Day 5 - Push
Day 6 - Off
Day 7 - Pull

Pull is Quads (leg press), Chest (bench press), Quads (leg extension/seated press), Upper Chest (incline press/military press), Hip Abductors (thigh squeeze, seated), Deltoids (shoulder press), Calves (calve extension), and Triceps (tricep extension).

and

Pull is Back (close grip pulldown), Hamstrings (lying leg curl), Back (seated row), Hip Abductors (******d, opposite of thigh squeeze), Side Deltoid (upright row), Biceps (biceps curl), Trapezius (shoulder shrug), and Abdominal (crunch, not sure what it is called).

Spud if you could hook me up with that workout.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Spudchucker said:
check out bodybuilding.com
Best advice. I am becoming to love this forum. I have totally changed my diet and the way i lift. Dont think going to the gym will get you in great shape and get you strong alone... Nutrition is a huge part of it. Get a good diet going and you will definately see some great results.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
imagineballa991 said:
make sure you run. and get good cardio before you lift. Also lots of running is needed for Sothorns lacrosse program. be able to run far... fast
hes talking about weightlifting but, not slimming down.

Running is not conducive to putting on lots of muscle. Cardio is an essential part of staying fit, but if you're in the gym for 45 minutes lifting hard thatll keep you in shape enough while you are putting on muscle. Later you can do a cutting cycle where you continue lifting, but step up your cardio.

Theres a reason why pro bodybuilders are more than 50lbs heavier during non-contest than during contest. Its because theyre putting on muscle, and HAVE to weigh more because less cardio is going on. You can cut weight anytime, but putting on muscle is a more delicate practice.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
dhill0413 said:
actually...eating as much as you can and trying to put on mass usually makes people fat....not everyone has your crazy metabolism spud ;)
hey now, i may have flawless genetics, a perfect brain and a 10 inch penis, but I have low bodyfat cause i eat right :D really though, anyone who isnt naturally fat would stay under 16% or so bodyfat eating what i eat, and most would stay under 13%. Plus, we dont call it a bulking phase for nothing.. gotta not be afraid to put on a little bit of fat while getting jacked in the winter so you can cut and show off some killer muscles in the spring

Sh00t em Up said:
Spud if you could hook me up with that workout.
sure..

Sunday:
Flat bench press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Inclined dumbell press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Declined dumbell press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Flat dumbell press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
150 total machine crunches, 50 total leg raises

Monday: off

Tuesday:
Seated wide grip cable rows 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Wide grip lat pulldowns 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Weighted back extensions 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Closed grip cable rows 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Weighted pull ups 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Bent barbell rows 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Wednesday:
Arnold Presses 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Barbell Trap Shrugs 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Front dumbell raises 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Side dumbell raises 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Dumbell trap shrugs 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Military presses 3 sets of 8-12 reps
150 total machine crunches, 50 total leg raises

Thursday: off

Friday:
Barbell squats 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Seated calf raises 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Leg press 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Calf press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Leg Extensions 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Standing calf raises 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Saturday:
Hammer Curls 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Tricep cable pulldowns 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Concentration curls 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Closed grip bench press 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Drag Barbell curls 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Overhead lateral raises 3 sets of 8-12 reps

depending on how hard i hit my muscles on each day, i may drop a few excercises if i feel totally worked (youll learn to know the difference between fatigue you can work through and all out muscle failure. hint- all out muscle failure frikin hurts like hell.. not muscle pain, PAIN pain.)

DJS2 said:
I am becoming to love this forum.
all your base are belong to us

yea bb.com rules :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts