Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a week, whenever I right click something, and the menu thing pops up, most of it is always just black, and when I go over it with the mouse, the rest of it will start to pop up. What do you think's wrong? I think there may be a virus or something. How can I search/get rid of any present viruses on my system? I have/use Ad-Aware, but I know it only detects obvious crap and pop-ups.

And also, because of privacy issues, I opened up the Guest user on my computer for my mom to use. Since right after I did that, and fixed it all up, the colors in my taskbar are weird. The Winamp and AIM logos will be yellow, not what they usually are. But it's not all the time, like right now they are normal. How can I change that?

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
with the thing about when you right click...

its prolly jus low RAM... is it also slow to pop up... like you right click on the desktop then it takes it a second or even more to show the menu...with my old compy i had this problem...its just you dont have enough RAM to keep up with all the programs you got running in the taskbar...

now the color thing..i dunno ive never experienced that problem.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
well you may not be running a lot of IMs at once...or you may be looking at a lot of pictures or other things at once when it does it, if thats so then you dont have the RAM to keep up with your fingers clicking...i know im gonna have to invest in a lil more sometime...mines plenty fast but ive been imagining what it would be like if things were instant...and it sounds fun...so ill prolly just get me some security RAM to make sure i got enough ;-)

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, my computer was always very fast and never gave me any problems at all, but in like October, I accidentally broke it and my bro waited 2 months to finally fix it, and ever since, it's been running slow sometimes, and fast at other times. I think he took some parts from it.

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I have a really bad computer. Ram is at like 195, lol, and memory is 9.5 gigs. Sad...

I'm gonna see what I can do about getting my friends 20gb. HD. How much you think I should buy it for?

And is there anything I could do about the ram?

Also, is there anything I can do about making more space? All my music is only about 2.2 gigs, and I don't have many programs. In my control panel, it says all my programs only take up a few gigs I guess. I dunno where all the memory is being wasted at.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
xPiZZeRx said:
Wow, I have a really bad computer. Ram is at like 195, lol, and memory is 9.5 gigs. Sad...

I'm gonna see what I can do about getting my friends 20gb. HD. How much you think I should buy it for?

And is there anything I could do about the ram?

Also, is there anything I can do about making more space? All my music is only about 2.2 gigs, and I don't have many programs. In my control panel, it says all my programs only take up a few gigs I guess. I dunno where all the memory is being wasted at.
**** man, I thought I had one of the worst computers here. I just ordered a bunch of stuff, though, so I'm only a CPU and video card away from a new rig.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
hmm how big is your HD all together? because a 20 gig is still really small...i would pay him like maybe 10 bucks for it lol...20 gigs isnt nothing, hell if i woulda known you wanted one i woulda gave you one...and ill see if i can get you one tommorrow... i just got a friend of mine one from school...they say they are broke but they arent ive tried them out myself... so i just take them .. ill see if there is any left.

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had this thing so long. It was old when we got it which was when I was around 10 I guess. Was owned by my town's old high school. They were getting rid of them so my bro went up and snagged one.

I'm runnin off of this 9.5 pretty fine until lately, so 20 would be plenty. But that would be awesome if you could find me a new one.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
aight man if the school still has some...they got powersupplys and other stuff too...

if i cant find anymore at school then ill jus get one back from a friend

he says he is modding his 360 with it but he says a lotta things :p ill get back to ya tommorrow. round noonish

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
xPiZZeRx said:
ummm $10-20 if you ask me for a used old 20 gig hard drive(if its a laptop hd more). i get a 120 off my friend for 10(desktop hd). If you have a 9.8 gig hard drive like i think you were saying then my guess is that it is a really old hard drive that is slow. SO that will make windows load really slow and porgrams also.

i have also gotten a free 120, 80, 60 and 25 off the same guy lol

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dunno. It's never done it before, and it hasn't done it since I made this thread so I guess it's cool for now.

Do I just need to unplug the old HD and plug in the new one when I get it? I'm not big on the whole computer parts thing yet.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
if you want the new hd to make your comp faster you will want to install windows on the new drive other wise it will not do anything for speed unless its just a little by just opening space on the drive

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
wow your using xp on such an old compy? amazing... thats prolly another reason why its slow. if you want blazing i would put 98 on it.

but if its possible on yours you could hook the new HD up without unplugging the old one...i know my old compy had 2 HD's in it...i thought bout doing it to this one but i decided 250 was good enough for awhile.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
eh, i looked the only one we got left is one with thrashed pins... which isnt gonna work...if i was in the vocational school they might have some more, but here in the math-science lab i see no more...all is left is a power supply i took apart, a floppy drive i dissasembled and a few other power supplys.

sorry yo!

anythings an upgrade from your 9.3 gigs...get that one from your friend for 10 bucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts