Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I went to the track today. it was about 100 outside so it wasnt the best conditions but oh well.

reaction .614
I1(60') 2.193
I2 6.162
I3 9.485
mph(I3) 73.4
I4 12.355

et 14.780
mph 93.491

that was my best of 3. the other 2 runs [email protected] and [email protected]

my o2 sensors are reading lean all the time so the car is running rich. in addition to that was the 100+ degree weather and running street tires. when i get the rich condition fixed and some better tires (and cooler weather) it should run a lot faster

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ComradeMolyneux said:
pic of timeslip please.
if I claimed to have run 12's then you'd need a timeslip. why the hell would i lie about running high 14's? :confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
yea 14s is isnt something to lie about

what do you normally run?

this heat sucks, people who should be running low 13s are runningi n the 14s, but the heats affecting turbo cars alot more than n/a cars

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i dont know what i would normally run, this is my first time at the track. but i was told that it should run mid-13s, and with better weather, tires, and the right a/f ratio it just might get there (i hope)

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slip v.2 said:
Well I'm sure hes used to Hondas, where a high 14 is considered lightning fast.
rollin: seriously, there were civics out there running 16s, and one even went into the 18s :yikes my last run was against a TURBOED civic and it ran a [email protected]

there was an old bug that was in the 11s tho :yikes

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
A kid I know took his BMW a few weeks back and ran a 16.8 at 83 mph, it's a 1980's six series that he did some light mods too. To give you an idea of how fast (slow really) that is, my Mazda Tribute (a small SUV) does the 1/4 mile in an average of 16.7 at 83 mph stock. Don't feel too bad about 14's. :D

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well when i have ported heads, a cam, cobra intake, 3k stall converter and 3.55 gears and it's as slow as stock ur damn right im gonna feel bad about it

·
Registered
778 Posts
zpyro said:
well when i have ported heads, a cam, cobra intake, 3k stall converter and 3.55 gears and it's as slow as stock ur damn right im gonna feel bad about it
Shoulda put in 4.10s

ComradeMolyneux said:
I'd just like to see the timeslip if I can...
And this is pretty much the timeslip.

reaction .614
I1(60') 2.193
I2 6.162
I3 9.485
mph(I3) 73.4
I4 12.355

et 14.780
mph 93.491

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
zpyro said:
The time sounds pretty close to me to what it should be running. Normally 5.0L fox bodies ran about mid 14s to low 15s stock with a good driver, a 14.7 sounds about right for your first time running it and should get faster as you get more used to it. When you think about it a cam is really for torque and polished heads and intake arn't usualy a huge increase alone. I do think 4.10s would have helped a bit though, I mean 3.55s is the stock gear ratio V8 mustangs use now and even in the Cobra it feels as if it should be a little lower. The fox body is lighter, so it probaly feels about right for everyday driving, but not for drag racing.

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
david_4x4 said:
Shoulda put in 4.10s
shoulda not, I get bad enough gas mileage as it is

doomsday said:
The time sounds pretty close to me to what it should be running. Normally 5.0L fox bodies ran about mid 14s to low 15s stock with a good driver, a 14.7 sounds about right for your first time running it and should get faster as you get more used to it. When you think about it a cam is really for torque and polished heads and intake arn't usualy a huge increase alone. I do think 4.10s would have helped a bit though, I mean 3.55s is the stock gear ratio V8 mustangs use now and even in the Cobra it feels as if it should be a little lower. The fox body is lighter, so it probaly feels about right for everyday driving, but not for drag racing.
considering a bone stock 89 hatch with 200k+ miles on it ran the same et/mph, there is no ****in way my car should be that slow. a cam is not for torque, this cam makes power from 3000-5500 rpm. ported stock heads are worth 5-25 whp, the COBRA intake is another 10-15. it isnt just a cold air intake its an actual intake manifold. and the stock gears are 2.73, the rear end i put in has the stock 3.55 gears. I wasn't about to spend another $200+ for a gear install when these are just fine. better than stock but not enough to kill my gas mileage completely. this IS my daily driver and gas is at least $2.70 a gallon and rising

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
david_4x4 said:
Well have fun being slow, because at some point you have to give and take.
slow and fast is only relative. I'm fast compared to ricers, and cars with >$2000 into them (including the car) thumup: (not including power adders)

and I know its about give and take. thats why i have 3.55s and not 2.73s or 4.10s

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
mmm i have 4.10's in my jeep... the reason? my little 4 banger needs the 4.10's to push me up hills.... i get lotsa low end torque but nothing up high.. if i'm goin up a kinda steep hill and shift into 4th it bogs down....lol RawR for 4.10's... i couldnt imagine the time i'd get at the track.. hell it takes me 18 seconds to go 0-60... :yikes i really need a 4.0...

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
zpyro said:
considering a bone stock 89 hatch with 200k+ miles on it ran the same et/mph, there is no ****in way my car should be that slow. a cam is not for torque, this cam makes power from 3000-5500 rpm. ported stock heads are worth 5-25 whp, the COBRA intake is another 10-15. it isnt just a cold air intake its an actual intake manifold.
First, was the '89 auto too, what exactly was different from that car to yours? Anyway, the 10 to 50hp or so you added may have just been enough to bring the motor back up to stock level or slightly better then stock. Engines are interesting things, two could be built exactly the same and have outputs that are way off. You just may have one of the lower output motors and that guy had a higher one so they balanced out. Maybe the guy was just a much better driver, maybe you are putting too much air into the engine and it can't get rid of it fast enough, maybe you got a bad tank of gas, or maybe you just really need new tires. Who knows.

All in all, i'm saying don't feel bad with what you ran. Get good at driving the car first, then make adjustments as you see fit or modify as you get more money to make it as fast and powerfull as you want. Most people don't go from 250hp to 500hp or 15.0 sec to 10.0 sec all at once (unless they have a ton of money). Keep working on it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts