Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do those of you old enough to work/have a career do for a living?

I work in a group home/youth shelter with "at risk youth." In the group home I work with kids with mental health problems i.e. MR,autism, ADHD, PTSD, neglect issues among many others between the ages of 4 and 17. At the shelter I work with kids in the juvenile court system going through their hearing process waiting for placement in bootcamps, rehab, RTFs, and other crap.

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my job pays crap...$9.50 an hour. and I have to restrain kids...which means when they want to hurt someone I have to stop them. I'm 5'2" and 125lbs. The biggest kid I went toe to toe with was 5'9" 250lbs.

D

·
0 Posts
1. Student
2. Supported Learning Group Leader. Basically I attend the lectures of a 'problem course', ie: courses with high drop/fail rate, take the lecture and course material, prepare handouts and exercises for a weekly group study session.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
1. Student
2. Supported Learning Group Leader. Basically I attend the lectures of a 'problem course', ie: courses with high drop/fail rate, take the lecture and course material, prepare handouts and exercises for a weekly group study session.
Heh, sounds like what I'll be doing next semester, only, not in cold ass Canada.

D

·
0 Posts
Heh, sounds like what I'll be doing next semester, only, not in cold ass Canada.
It's a pretty sweet gig. Doesn't pay too hot, but the experience is awesome. I plan on applying to teachers college, so it'll look great on my application. (Being a teacher in Canada is not near as ****ty as it is in the States)

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Working in the Deli at walmart currently (until the 6th, when I go to produce) and it sucks, well its not so much the work that sucks, it's a few of the people I work with who are useless and I have to pick up their slack everyday, so I'm leaving there. I'm glad I work at walmart with this whole economy/obama stuff going down, cuz I work in a really busy area right off of I-5, so the chances of our store closing down are basically zero.

D

·
0 Posts
I work for a utility company that supplies gas and electric to the better part of NJ.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I have a few jobs...

1.)I'm co-oping with a high-end grocery chain called Wegmans, where I'm doing network support. Basically I monitor every device (routers, switches, APs, etc) at every store (70+) and when a problem occurs I have to fix it. It's fun because a lot of different things happen each day, so I never get bored. One day I am at a PC working remotely, the next I am on-site to repair something. The pay is good, and currently I'm working 3rd shift (10PM-8AM).

2.)I'm the Technical Director for my old high school. That means I'm responsible for all the technical aspects of the theatre program - set, lights, sound, etc. I supervise the students as well. Pay is meh ($10 an hour) but it's fun work.

3.)I technically also work for the RIT Tech Crew (my college), but since I've been on co-op at Wegmans I have not had time to do this.

I'm also a full time student (graduate this year), and will be looking at other career opportunities.

-Jin

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I work at Lowes in receiving. Full time, work 4am-12:30pm. Was taking a class at the community college after work but it got too hectic of a schedule to juggle at the time. I live alone in my grandmothers house, so work is more important atm. I will be taking some online classes soon though.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I work at Pep Boys stocking, register, and Parts counter.

I also do side jobs with my dad cutting down trees, who doesn't love using a chainsaw?

I also detail cars for friends and their family. I usually charge around 50-80 bucks, the price variable is due to size. I'm not detailing another SUV for 50 haha.

All in all, i make pretty good money going to college. Plus living at home for the first two years is awesome.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
I am currently loafing and taking plenty of painkillers and muscle relaxers :) . Totaled my truck about a month ago and havnt been released to work yet...maybe a few more weeks. I was a Lead carpenter ($18 hr), i might go back to that, but i doubt it the way the housing market crashed and all. Other than that i been keeping my eyes open for something matbe a job at Lowe's (contractor services or some **** like that)....who knows what i'll do, something always falls into my lap at the last minute before total financial failure.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Full time student living off of grants and student loans. Woohoo. Can't get a decent job because of my "pending criminal charge" which will go away next month though. Not sure where I want to work though.. I just want something kind of ****ty and easy. Nothing stressful.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I may still work at a coal mines. Been there two weeks and they may lay off half the people at the mines. But, I am pretty confident I will still have a job. Seeing as they will still need 2 people to do the Job I am doing, and we only have 2. lol

And I take 16hrs a semester via internet.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
just got the lead position at staples copy and print center. pay is meh ($10 an hour), the work sucks (*****y, rich ass customers that think they can do what they want) and the hours suck (odd hours, no real system that i can fall in: might be working 1-9:30 one day, then 6:30 to 3 the next, etc, etc) but it is a job and i'm saving up for community college next year. Plan to go ROTC through the air force/navy to Pitt, then hopefully an IT job somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts