Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to hijack this thread for a non-paintball use but I’m thinking about using an HPA tank for some engineering tests on a compressed air hardware system I’m developing. Basically I want to feed a vent pipe through a compression tee into an HPA tank. But to do so I need to know the NPT thread size of an HPA paintball tank. I’m not interested in the thread-size of the regulator. I’ve seen posts suggesting that the size is 1/4”and 3/8” but no confirmations.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back Trbo. You are correct. I'm looking for the NPT thread size of the neck and not the reg itself.

It will be handling pressures less than 1000psi.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you. Is it possible to connect a UNF thread to NPT via an adaptor?
it may be but i am unaware of any and you would have to have one made. if you do make sure the female npt doe not go into the tank but is entirely out of the tank. otherwise the wall thickness will be to thin for the tank threads to hold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you ninja paintball. I was hoping to find an off-the-shelf solution but I guess this would be the only option then?

·
Administrator
14,027 Posts
ninja do you think it would be possible to gut a regulator and use the male threads on the reg instead of building a custom adaptor? seems like that would be a simple solution

also if your handling pressures less than 1k it is still an option just to use the reg on the tank, throw a quick disconnect fitting on the input line and plug straight into the reg, reg output will be around 800 psi for a fixed reg but if you got an adjustable one you could swap that around for a 1k output if thats what you need

·
Registered
347 Posts
ninja do you think it would be possible to gut a regulator and use the male threads on the reg instead of building a custom adaptor? seems like that would be a simple solution

also if your handling pressures less than 1k it is still an option just to use the reg on the tank, throw a quick disconnect fitting on the input line and plug straight into the reg, reg output will be around 800 psi for a fixed reg but if you got an adjustable one you could swap that around for a 1k output if thats what you need
yes it is possible to use the 1/8 npt ports from the gauge or fill nipple but it would also depend on what he is doing and the result he is looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking along these lines too (ie. using the regulator as an adaptor) but I couldn't think of a way to feed a vent pipe through the reg and into the tank?

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between NPT and UNF standards? Is UNF designed for higher pressures than NPT?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was thinking along these lines too (ie. using the regulator as an adaptor) but I couldn't think of a way to feed a vent pipe through the reg and into the tank?

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between NPT and UNF standards? Is UNF designed for higher pressures than NPT?
UNF is straight threads while the NPT is tapered pipe. both can be used for high pressure, just depends on the application and use.

remove the gauge and out the adapter there but there is shut off and would be a straight thru.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok got it that makes sense. I hadn't thought to go through the guage or fill nipple. It might be difficult to get a straight pipe down a 90 degree angle and into the bottle but hey at least I have a pretty good idea what my options are.

Also, I did a bit of googling on UNF to NPT adaptors and a few vendors are selling them (hyrdrasun keeps coming up) although it doesn't seem like a common item. I was hoping to pickup one on mcmaster carr but I couldn't find it there...

anyway thank you both very much for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts