Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
This Is Sparta!!!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a church retreat? I'm an athiest, and wasn't brought up religiously in any religion and I have no idea what a church retreat or the activities involved include. I'm not asking because I'm interested in going on one, just because I want to know what people are talking about when they refer to them. Everyone I ask just kind of says that it is hard to explain, and I can't find any info online.

Edit: The only info I found online was this: Church Retreats are mini-vacations for skin lovers to satisfy their flesh, play devilish sports, and eat like pigs, and strip their clothes off for mixed swimming with the damned and others.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
When religious people lose debates with non-religious people, they retreat to a safe place (with other religious people) to get fresh supplies of faith and nonsense.

D

·
0 Posts
My bro had to go on two in high school (sucker went to a catholic high school, me the heathen offspring/sibling switched over to the public system). Basically they went out to some cottage barracks place. most kids snuck out to get high. sat around a fire. said prayers, did group activities. went to mass.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
you all have messed up ideas of what a church retreat is.

It's just a chance to hang out with people you know from your church. Sometimes it's an overnight thing, sometimes not. There's also usualy some sort of social work involved as well. Sometimes it involves a larger group of peopel and they bringa speaker who focuses on specific topics, usually the speaker is really really good too.

I've never seen an entire church retreat though. Usually people go because people they know are going and it's a good time to relax and catch up with eachother while under the guize of church.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
you all have messed up ideas of what a church retreat is.

It's just a chance to hang out with people you know from your church. Sometimes it's an overnight thing, sometimes not. There's also usualy some sort of social work involved as well. Sometimes it involves a larger group of peopel and they bringa speaker who focuses on specific topics, usually the speaker is really really good too.

I've never seen an entire church retreat though. Usually people go because people they know are going and it's a good time to relax and catch up with eachother while under the guize of church.
I'll have you know I've been attending Catholic mass for over 17 years every Sunday.

I was kidding- I know damn well what a retreat is, having been on one before.

D

·
0 Posts
jesus christ, super star, are you really who they say you are?

so typical that judas was black.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
jesus christ, super star, are you really who they say you are?

so typical that judas was black.
Soooooooo, you are the Christ, you're the great Jesus Christ? Prove to me that you're divine, change my water into wine. That's all you need do, so I know it's all true. C'mon King of the Jews!

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Matrix pretty much hit it on the nail.

Most church retreats I've been to are Youth Retreats, where just the youth go. It's like a group of 20-40 normally. We've gone to conferences, the beach, skiing, tons of things. Over the summer we did this thing where we chilled in our church's gym for an entire week and went out and did community service every day, and then cool stuff at night...

We played hide-and-go-seek in our sanctuary in the dark one night. Thats pretty fun, if you've ever dreamt of playing hide and go seek in a church..

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Matrix pretty much hit it on the nail.

Most church retreats I've been to are Youth Retreats, where just the youth go. It's like a group of 20-40 normally. We've gone to conferences, the beach, skiing, tons of things. Over the summer we did this thing where we chilled in our church's gym for an entire week and went out and did community service every day, and then cool stuff at night...

We played hide-and-go-seek in our sanctuary in the dark one night. Thats pretty fun, if you've ever dreamt of playing hide and go seek in a church..
I don't believe in religion, but I've always thought a church retreat could be fun. Especially the ones that go down to Mexico and help build houses and stuff. I'd be down for one of those, but even if I were religious, they are still expensive to go on. That's money me nor my parentals have.

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Most churches will pay for you to go if you're serious about it.

The local community service we did was free. There are plenty of programs that will help you get to Mexico or pretty much anywhere that needs help for a few hundred dollars that cover travel, food, and living expenses.

Whenever our church has something that costs money, we hold huge "yard sales". Everybody in the entire church donates stuff to the cause, and we put it all in our gym. We have the yard sale for a Saturday and Sunday morning, and get a huge chunk of change off that. Anything left over, most of the elders in the church pay off for us.

We're going to Tennessee in April for an Acquire the Fire retreat thats two days and I'm not paying a dime other than for food.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
So without using the question as an excuse to attack religion:

Church retreat is basically a field trip. Church group goes to a cottage or a camp or something of that nature. They do activities, play games, and have bible studies. It's basically a way to just relax and have fun while still learning about your religion. Sometimes you do community service stuff (like house building as mentioned earlier)

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
So without using the question as an excuse to attack religion:

Church retreat is basically a field trip. Church group goes to a cottage or a camp or something of that nature. They do activities, play games, and have bible studies. It's basically a way to just relax and have fun while still learning about your religion. Sometimes you do community service stuff (like house building as mentioned earlier)
yep. that's a pretty good way of putting it. though iv'e learned some interesting things while on them as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts