Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While rummaging through the box for my Airsoft gun, I found piles of **** I had stuffed in there to get out of the way.
Anyway, in a nice little package, I for some reason found a fibre-optics line.
After looking around, wondering where the hell it came from, I found out it plugged into the back of my comp through a port which had been covered since the comp was bought 2 years ago.

Anyone have any idea what the HELL I can do with a fibre-optics line?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, they are used to send large quanties of info, with high quality. You need more than just the line though, I think you gotta have some kinda software or some type of network service to use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Um, I think you gotta have some kinda modem or adaptor thing to plug it into.

·
Registered
561 Posts
it's glowing red? cool take a picture of it! I wanna see it!

·
Gone Forever
1,547 Posts
Fiber Optics is one of the fastist way to send information. The reason for this is because the information is actually light being sent from one computer to another. Interesting, eh?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
My school has fiber. We used the system one night for a lan party..fastest system Ive ever been on. When School is in though it slows down to the speed of cable or so since there are like 200 computers goin..

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what you're saying is I could use a fibre ops cable to network some comps provided that I have a router?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Lowtryx said:
So what you're saying is I could use a fibre ops cable to network some comps provided that I have a router?
Probably. T1 & T3 lines use fiber optics I believe. It's super expensive though, which is why you don't see many/any commercially available T1 lines out there. They are often used for business purpose, but I think they would make a KILLING in money if they could mass market T1 lines to the gamers out there.

~Jinjiro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts