Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for gear that would be good to start with where I can just get up and go play with my friends this summer. My one friend has a Tippmann Custom or something like that and said it was pretty decent so I was looking at that..but I was also looking at guns like;
SALE Eclipse E-Star ETEK Paintball Guns CAMO! $595.00 - Online Paintball Store
SALE Fusion Limited Edition Paintball Gun $474.00 - Online Paintball Store
SALE Kingman Spyder VS3 w/ Rocking Trigger Frame $239.00 - Online Paintball Store
SALE Planet Eclipse ETEK2 Paintball Marker $675.00 - Online Paintball Store

I don't think those are the guns I'm looking for to play woodsball though. I'm most likely going to be playing some speedball too, but for now just woodsball. I can spend up to 600$-700$ total for everything I'm going to need in order to play this summer. I was thinking something accurate long range(120m+) with decent bps. I just want something worth what I pay for.
My friend just gave me a link to Paintball, Skateboard, Airsoft, Apparel and Snowboard Gear at ActionVillage.com and said some good brands are Dye, Proto (<his cousins sponsored by those 2), Ego, Invert, Empire.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
all paintball markers shoot the same distance. you can not shoot over 300FPs or it's a saftey issue.
this sounds like your first marker. I reccomend a spyder vs1. it's fast, can operate on co2 and is suitable for both styles of play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like a pretty good gun. My friend just said his cousin has a Proto PMR though and suggested that..is there a large difference in quality between the two? Or is it just personal preference?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
anything higher than a spyder won't be a noob friendly marker. you need ot learn the basics and make the inevitable mistakes on something relatively cheap first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh okay. What upgrades do you suggest I buy for the gun? I've been reading up on it and a lot of people suggest different things..also where should I buy the upgrades from? Sorry for being such a newb. If there's a thread on all of this you can just link me to it.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
on a vs1 I would also recommend a feedneck and a decent on/off asa....but that's me..

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
that has a mechanical trigger pull and won't be much fun to use in speedball.

you'll need:
mask
hopper
pod pack.

past that you may or may not need anything, but he'rs more to look at:
pants
jersey
gloves

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If you get a vs1 jump on the deal actionvillage.com is having and get one with a vs2 frame on it(best spyder for a beginner). I HIGHLY suggest you go on and get a very good mask from the start, as with a good hopper to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at that..would it just be a better idea to get a VS3? It's only $40 more and I have some cash to spare at the moment..

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Vs2 is better than the 3, the three is the same thing as the 2, but with the pointless rocking trigger...

If it was me, I'd get the vs1 with VS2 frame, and stick with CO2 for a while. Spend the money on a new feedneck like a CCM no-pro, a good hopper like a vlocity or torque, and a nice mask.

·
Crafty Vet of Nutball
100 Posts
the mask is the best investment you can make as for the gun i say vs1 and do like matrix said and learn the ropes with that....one thing i would buy clothing wise is gloves one shot to an unprotected finger and you will see what i mean lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I'm not a noob to paintball, but a noob to owning my own marker. I recently bought a whole bunch of stuff, so I thought I might be able to offer some advice. Long story, but anyways... Mask is the best investment you can make, hands down. You can't shoot at what you can't see, so definately get a good mask with either a thermal or anti-fog lens. Like he said above, gloves are important too. I prefer fingerless gloves, but that's just me. Make sure you get an anti-siphon for your co2 tank as well.

I also highly recommend lubing your marker prior to using it the first time. They come lubed up, but some markers have been sitting on shelves for quite some time and need to be re-lubed. I've attained most of my knowledge over the past few weeks through several different forums, especially this one. Scan through the posts and you will learn alot about CO2, hoppers, markers, tanks etc. I also suggest you visit a PB Shop in your area. There, you can see all the different markers and get a good feel for them. You don't want to just buy over the internet before you know what a marker looks and feels like in person. You don't have to buy from your local PB shop if you can get a better deal online, but atleast you can get a good idea of what you really want.

Lastly, a Spyder VS1 or VS2 are good markers for newcomers to PB. An Epiphany is also a good marker for the price right now (199.99 at alot of online stores). You could also go with a Smart Parts SP1. But go to your local shop and check them out first, and try not to spend more than $200 on your first gun. The rest of the money you have could be used for your mask, hopper, feedneck elbow, on/off asa, jersey and pants, co2 tank, tank cover, neck protector, anti-siphon, squegee etc etc etc. There's alot that you could use that money for.

Some stores I recommend are: ZephyrPaintball.com, ActionVillage.com, Amazon.com, eBay.com, CompulsivePaintball.com. That's where I got most of my stuff since they had the best deals I could find. Sorry for the long post, but believe me when I say I could write so much more. I'm just trying to share all the info I've gotten over the past few weeks. Good luck and Happy PB'ing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Marker Package

GGX,

If you have up to $700 to spend, I recommend checking out ANSGEAR.COM Paintball - Cheap Paintball Guns, Paintball Tanks, Paintball Loaders, Paintball Parts, Paintball Accessories, and Paintballs. On the main page they are running a special that gives you a PMI HPA 68/4500 tank, Empire Reloader B hopper, and Empire Events goggles all for $290. That is over $85 savings. I just got the same package for the most part, except I got a Pure Energy 48ci/4500 since my Fusion F8 is very efficient with gas and I didn't need the 68ci model.

Then with the $410 left, you can look at getting a Dangerous Power Fusion F8 ($449), or even a Dangerous Power Fusion Special Edition (Mid 300's).

That would be a great setup and will save you a bunch of money. You won't have to pay tax, and they have free shipping on most sites out there if you spend $100 or more.

Good luck with your gun purchase. Let us know how you make out.

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh okay. What upgrades do you suggest I buy for the gun? I've been reading up on it and a lot of people suggest different things..also where should I buy the upgrades from? Sorry for being such a newb. If there's a thread on all of this you can just link me to it.
well if your talking about upgrades for the VS1 that was recommended then you should look into getting around a 14" J&J barrel, a good electric hopper, a new feed neck which is a must. And that should be a great start oh and don't forget if you have the money get a HPA tank.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the HPA tank, the whole point of sticking with a vs1 is to be able to run CO2. HPA would provide negligible gains over anti-siphoned CO2 on that particular gun....certainly not worth the extra weight of a cheapo, nor the expense of a good one right away. I'm not discouraging you from going to HPA, but don't worry about it as a necessity right away.

CCM feednecks are the best quality on the market bar-none. Chipley basically craps gold turds....:D

A good hopper is a definite. Vlocity Jr's at 97.00$ are the best value on the market. stay away from the egg, much better hoppers out there for the money.

Barrel is personal preference. 10-14 inch is standard size, and length in that range will make ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in accuracy. Scepters are nice kits, try to stick with insert based kits if you want a kit, otherwise the J&J or dye boomsticks/ultralights make nice barrels. I would recommend getting a spyder-cocker barrel thread adapter and getting a cocker threaded barrel....

Something that would make a difference would be a nice ASA. The VS series is a standard bottomline pattern, so whatever you buy is going to transfer to a new gun. Again, CCM's ASA/rail combo is a beautifully made piece of gear.

I'm not sure if there is a new trigger available for them yet.....if therre is for 20$ or less, that's not a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts