Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I used to play every single weekend about 8 years ago. Back then I bought a basic Spyder Semi-Auto. I think it was considered a spyder SE then. Can't remember. It still works (enough said for you guys wondering about Spyder reliabilty), but it is dated. I didn't clean it the last couple times I played, and it could use some tuning up, a new frame, a new bolt, blah blah blah.

In your opinion, should I upgrade my old gun? Should I buy an Xtra or something else? I'm trying to get back into the game after taking a while off from playing. I want a good looking, good performing reliable gun. I will be playing almost all woodsball and probably one or two games of speedball each trip out, so give me your opinions based on that.

Spyder was my first gun. It has made me proud and I have a 14" Custom Products barrel for it, so i want to stick with spyder or a clone. I will only be using my CO2 unless I find that I'm getting addicted again. Then I was considering getting an ION with N2O or something.

I have some things I have to get done (property taxes, tires to go on the wheels i have sitting in my living room for my truck, etc.) so i'm on a budget.

Based on this criteria, should I upgrade, or buy new? What is your suggestion of guns if I go that route?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
doe
218 Posts
well if you buy another spyder, your not going to notice much of a difference. just buy a used ion with compressed air tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keep in mind, my spyder has nothing but an expansion chamber and a barrel. I have a single tiny trigger, old school bolt etc.

If i got a spyder with a two finger trigger, acs bolt, nice frame, etc. I would notice a difference.

Speaking of Ions, though. I was looking VERY hard at those. I really like the sound of them. Only problem i have, is it sounds as though they are practically impossible to field strip and when you do open them up, that they're a pain.

Anybody have an opinion about that? Either way. It comes back down to money. I could buy an Xtra for 60-70 bucks. A pilot for barely over 100. Too much more than that is gonna be tough to do by the time my friends want to start hooking up to play with eveything i have going on right now.

Also, again, i want something with CO2. I know nothing about HPA or n2o or how available it is in my area. More expensive too. If i get into it like i used to be for longer than a couple months, then i will start gettin money together for a nice gun. BTW, PM me if you want to send donations to the Ra Get a Paintball Gun fund (or RGPG : )|)~

·
Registered
455 Posts
well, a Spyder Electra or a VS2 are both $150-200, but i'd honestly get a Pilot, it will be getting the new body ( old Electra w/ Eye body probably and look real nice) for $100 and will run on C02 and if Spyder threads are still the same as 8 years ago, than it will work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, a Spyder Electra or a VS2 are both $150-200, but i'd honestly get a Pilot, it will be getting the new body ( old Electra w/ Eye body probably and look real nice) for $100 and will run on C02 and if Spyder threads are still the same as 8 years ago, than it will work.

Yeah, I was looking on ActionVillage.com today and looked up the Pilot. Seems like a nice gun actually. I was looking at the Pilot with ACS in Black and Red (Carolina Gamecocks colors (#4 Recruiting Class in the Country this year!!! : )|). I figure I could do that and have everything i could possibly upgrade to with mine and way more. I highly doubt buying an electronic frame would do well with an 8 year old Spyder SE.

At this point, that looks like what I want to do. Buy a pilot with an electronic hopper. I will probably fix my old one with normal parts for a backup, and if I really start getting back into it, then I'll buy a nicer gun.

Any idea when that new bodied Pilot might be coming around. Is this something in the works, or just an assumption? I really like that red and black pilot acs that's available now for only $107. I just hope it's still around when I finally get the money together. I guess that needs to be ASAP cuz spring will be rolling around soon and it'll start warming up here pretty quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm from Columbia. I used to play Outlaw Ball off Hwy 321 on some trails under some big powerlines, but the only field I've played on is Trigger Tyme off Koon Store Road. Have you ever been to Trigger Tyme? If not, I highly suggest it. Speedball, Towers, Villages... great field and pretty cool guys out there (for the most part).

How is Ballbusters? I walked in their little shop once, but I've never checked out their field. I wish I could open a field or indoor speedball on my side of town (Northeast Columbia near Spring Valley H.S. and Clemson Road).

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
yeah I played the Vietnam scenario at TT last Summer.

Ballbusters is great. They only have one small woodsball field, but if you want to play speedball, there's no better place in the midlands.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Piranha EVO is only $100, it has eyes which will do a much better job of reducing chops than the ACS bolt, the only problem is, is that it doesn't look as cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts