Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huge Essay that I ahve to turn into tomorrow. Probably 1/5 or 1/4 of my grade. What do you guys think?

------------------------------------

Romeo and Juliet Essay
Nick Wilson
Hour 6

One time I was at a team practice for paintball. In the middle of a game, I was accused of wiping two hits. I argued with the ref that I didn’t wipe and he told me that I was disqualified. As I was walking off the field, I shot the ref six times. I was then kicked out and almost banned from the field. I should have used better self control that day. This obviously was not the smartest thing to do and I should have used better self control. But what is self control? Self control is controlling your emotions or actions in a positive way. Self control wasn’t an issue just in life itself, but it was also an issue for several characters in the play of Romeo and Juliet.

Through the whole play, Romeo lacked using self control. When Tybalt killed Romeo’s close friend Mercutio, Romeo didn’t use self control and killed Tybalt therefore avenging Mercutio’s death. The quote that Romeo said after he killed Tybalt was "O, I am fortunes fool!" Romeo realized what he had done and was starting to regret it. This shows that Romeo would have been better off not killing Tybalt. If Romeo had shown some better self control at the time, he might not have killed Tybalt. That part was not the only time when self control would have benefited Romeo for the better. Another scene where Romeo could have used way better self control was when he killed him self by drinking the potion. "O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick, thus with a kiss, I die." Romeo was committing suicide because of Juliet’s death. The quote is Romeo thinking that the poison had worked. If Romeo would have shown self control and not taken the poison, then he and Juliet would still be alive. This proves that if better self control was displayed then the two teenagers would still be alive. Romeo was not the only character
who needed to use better self control.

Through the whole play, Juliet advances into things too quickly before giving it a second thought. An example of Juliet not using self control was when she married Romeo and only knew him for one day. "As much to him, else is his thanks to much." Juliet is accepting Romeo’s proposal. If Juliet would have shown a better example of self control, she would have realized that she was rushing into marriage and could have prevented some of the feud between the Capulets and Montagues. A different example when Juliet should have used better self control was when she killed herself. "O happy dagger." Juliet said this after waking up with Romeo laying dead right next to her. Juliet took Romeo’s dagger and shoved it with great force into her chest. If Juliet wouldn’t have made a quick action like that, she would still be alive. This is how self control would have benefited her. Both families in the play seemed to have lacked self control because Tybalt, Juliet’s cousin, also lacked self control.

Tybalt through the entire play did not use self control. A situation where Tybalt did not use self control is when he fought Benvolio. "Have at thee, coward!" Tybalt is telling Benvolio to draw his sword and challenge him. After the dispute between Tybalt and Benvolio the Prince shows up and announces that the next fight that breaks out, whoever participated shall perish. This shows that lack of self control was not used; the disputes between the Capulets and Montagues have risen. The first time Tybalt did not use self control, the consequences were not as great as the second time. The other example of lack of self control is when Tybalt got himself killed by his behavior. "A plague a' both your houses!" Mercutio says this as he is dying from Tybalt stabbing him. Because of Tybalt’s crude actions with out self control, Romeo decided to avenge his friend Mercutio’s death and kill Tybalt. This proves that if Tybalt used better self control and not have killed Mercutio, that he would still be alive.

Romeo, Juliet, and Tybalt barely ever expressed a good example of self control throughout the play. Once tension grew between the characters, they decided to attempt what the first thing on their mind was. This was the cause to most of the tension throughout the play. If better self control would have been used, then the outcome of the play would have been much better. Just like the paintball situation, self control would have changed it to be beneficial.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:
Huge Essay that I ahve to turn into tomorrow. Probably 1/5 or 1/4 of my grade. What do you guys think?

------------------------------------

Romeo and Juliet Essay
Nick Wilson
Hour 6

There was a time when I was at a team practice for paintball and in the middle of a game, I was accused of wiping two hits. I argued with the referee until I was blue in the face that I did not wipe those two hits, but he told me that I was disqualified anyway. As I was walking off the field, I shot the ref six times. I was kicked out and almost banned from the field for pulling that very dumb stunt which I know I should not have done. In hindsight, shooting the referee was obviously not the smartest thing to do and I should have had better self control that day, but what is self control? Self control is controlling your emotions or actions in a positive way, even during not so positive times. Self control, or the lack there of, is not just a problem in today's life, but it was also an issue for several characters in the play of Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespear, which is based in a time long ago.

Throughout the entirety of the play, Romeo, a young man from the (last name) family, lacked having self control. An example of where Romeo lost control would be when Tybalt, a young man from the (last name) family killed Romeo’s close friend Mercutio. Romeo did not have self-control and murdered Tybalt back, therefore avenging Mercutio’s death. The quote that Romeo said after he killed Tybalt was "O, I am fortunes fool!" Romeo realized what he had done and was starting to regret it. This shows that Romeo would have been better off not killing Tybalt. If Romeo had shown some better self control at the time, he might not have killed Tybalt.

That part was not the only time when self control would have benefited Romeo for the better. Another scene where Romeo could have used way better self control was when he killed himself by drinking the potion of poison. "O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick, thus with a kiss, I die." Romeo was committing suicide because of Juliet’s death, who was not really dead but sleeping. The quote is Romeo thinking that the poison had worked. If Romeo would have shown self control and not taken the poison, then he and Juliet would still be alive. This proves that if better self control was displayed then the two teenagers would still be alive. Romeo was not the only character
who would have benefitted by having better self control, his lover Juliet Capulet could also have used some lessons in self-control.
That's enough editing for now, I'm going to go play cs....

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
allstarunited said:
Nearly 800 words? That's all they're making you kids write nowadays?
My history teacher is making us write a 3500 word rough draft, with 12 sources and half of them have to be books. And if we do that, the most we can get is a 60, so in actuallity we will probably need 4500-5000 words with 16-18 sources. and thats for the rough draft.

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
Roadkill said:
My history teacher is making us write a 3500 word rough draft, with 12 sources and half of them have to be books. And if we do that, the most we can get is a 60, so in actuallity we will probably need 4500-5000 words with 16-18 sources. and thats for the rough draft.
In my opinion (and I definitely didn't major in English), twelve required sources is overkill for such a [relatively] short paper. If you were writing a scientific research paper on say, phytoplankton, I could understand the need for a large base of information, but on the subject of History I would think three or four heavily analyzed sources would yield better results.

What grade is this for? If I were you, I would just use the ol' Amazon.com trick. ;)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i just read the first paragraph, but i say its alright, good enough for an a or high b

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Freshmen...

We had to do 3 essays in different classes sot he teachers cut us some slack. Also I didn't have enough but hopefully with my formatting I used, he won't notice. :D

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't know but Kansas is pretty awesome right now.

And yes I shoot refs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts