1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
319 Posts
i'd go with 14

·
Registered
208 Posts
Whatever you like. There's no performance differance, so go with whatever feels good to you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
People say 14"+ is stupid because, uh, well, they're stupid (that and penis envy). A 16" or 18" is great for Airball fields. You don't get added range, but you can push into the bunkers and keep a low profile. Sneaky, but useful.

·
Registered
591 Posts
j_dogg said:
People say 14"+ is stupid because, uh, well, they're stupid (that and penis envy). A 16" or 18" is great for Airball fields. You don't get added range, but you can push into the bunkers and keep a low profile. Sneaky, but useful.
I don't get what you said how does that make a barrel longer then 14" better

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's a little physics boys and girls.....
It takes certain pressure to propel a ball out of the barrel. After the pressure is applied there is drag against the walls of the barrel. The longer the barrel the more pressure you'll need to propel the ball. Meaning "USE MORE AIR". We don't like that do we? so optimal length is 12-14 inches

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies, I think I'll get a 14" but I'm not sure which one between the cp one classic, j&j ceramic, smart parts teardrop or evil driver? Which one do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
47 Posts
go with the 14" teardrop, never failed me or any of my friends
and after 14" the balls velocity starts droppping (i.e. need more air to keep it up) but under 12" the ball doesnt have enough room to accelerate

·
Registered
208 Posts
Spec, you're right to a point. If the barrel is a single bore barrel and the paint is a tight fot, then what you say is true. I usually use step bore or two-piece barrels, in which case the first 6" or 7" is all that is in contact with the ball, the rest is just porting to release excess gas. IN that case it doesn't matter if you use a 10" barrel or an 18", there is little performance differance. And between a 14" and 16" there is very little differance regardless. As far as barrels go I'm a big fan of the Driver, as it is step-bored to act like a two-piece barrel. Not to mention it looks good on most guns.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jdogg... you don't seem to understand from your logic. Since like you said it looses gas after the last 3 or so inches using a longer barrel will make it worse. Put that into the equation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
After the first 6 inches(where ther is a tight fit) the barrel widen in almost all two-piece barrel, which mean's all acceration is accomplished there. The porting that releases gas does so to prevent turbulence exciting the barrel and to quite the noise of your shot. Your ball has already reached top speed when it hit the second half of your barrel, and whether the second half of your barrel is 2" long or 8" long doesn't matter(velocity wise) because there is no longer any drag from the barrel to slow your ball down, and at 300 fps a difference of a few inches in not enough space for the ball to slow down due to other forces. As a matter of fact, even in one piece barrels after you reach the porting the barrel length does not matter, because your ball has reached top speed and whatever gas is still there is mostly lost in the porting. That's where my logic lies.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Spec74 said:
Here's a little physics boys and girls.....
It takes certain pressure to propel a ball out of the barrel. After the pressure is applied there is drag against the walls of the barrel. The longer the barrel the more pressure you'll need to propel the ball. Meaning "USE MORE AIR". We don't like that do we? so optimal length is 12-14 inches

that doesnt make any sense, the gun doesnt know how long the barrel is, and using the same amount of gas with a 10'' and a 16'', and its highly unlikely you get friction in the last 2'', because as said before, the barrel widens

·
Registered
208 Posts
And error, how does a longer barrel make it easier to get hit? If there's someone shooting at you from the side, the only place a longer barrel makes for a larger profile, then you're probably about to get eliminated regardless. My point is, throughout this thread, that any size barrel is good, it just depends on the person. I like longer barrels because I'm used to them and play mostly Airball. This kid asked which was better and I answered him: neither. It depends solely on the person and how they want their rig to feel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts