Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and my roommate have been bord out of our minds the last few days and we got to talking about how our house looks dull. We decided to build us a large flower pot. 3 1x6 boards, $13 worth of flowers, and some paint and caulk later, we've got ourselves a sweet flower pot!

see how sad an lonely this looks? I've had this plant for 5 years; my mom gave it to me when i went to college. It'll live through anything. it's been nearly all yeoow before and i gave it some water and it sprang back to life. It's incredible....but it's lonely:)

There,that's better. We're still looking for something that will flower to put int he middle; for all we know the ones on the end flower, but we're not sure. We also decided to move my plant into the living room, as it doesn't really match the rest of them.

6 cuts, a handfull of screws, and 3 nails later, we have this...it sorta looks like a wooden drain spout at this point:)

Since my hands were covered in culk, from sealing the sides, I let my roommate paint it.

the finished product. We're letting it dry overnight then going to get some soil for it tomorrow and put the plants in it. We;re still looking for something that flowers to put in the middle though.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
sorry man, I ran out of picture space. hope you dont' mind if i steal your post:)

May sound stupid, but did you fill it with some water to test? It would suck to fill that thing with dirt, then see you have a minor leak.
I'm glad you asked that question!

we bought some gutter covers to keep dirt off the bottom to allow for maximum water movement do the wood wont' rot. Then we tested with water and it worked basically how we wanted it to. a few slight modifications and we were in business.

the potting soil we got was outside of the building so we had to hack through ice to get to the dirt..hence the crowbar:) that was a cold, cold job. made out hands very muddy.

but finally we finished the project!

I came home tonight to find an identical clone of this one sitting on th e workbench. We sorta bought too many bags of dirt and have space for more of these in my house. they cost like $10 each so we figured why not make more? Apparently my roommate was completely bored while I was at work that last 12 hours:)

i'd recommend putting some form of plastic inside, the woods gonna swell up on you man. Unless the wood is treated theres also a good chance of mold.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's treated wood. We were going to use untreated and plastic,like you suggested till we discovered that Lowes only sold the 1x6 boards that were treated. There's also drainholes on one end of it that will run into a dish. you can see in the pictured that one side has a block on the bottom so it's at a slight angle to discourage standing water.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
very cool. me and my buddies build things when were bored also. usually its for one of out trucks.

haha lowes. i basically live there monday thru friday. been there over a year, not a bad place to work at all. what i hate is when people want you to make all these precise cuts for them even tho they know its usually 1 or 2. what sucks is you gotta do it or else the customer will ***** and the manager will tell you to do it anyway.

·
0 Posts
very nice. Is it at an angle going up the stairs or is that just the way the pic is taken?

·
Registered
995 Posts
May sound stupid, but did you fill it with some water to test? It would suck to fill that thing with dirt, then see you have a minor leak.

EDIT: Aaron, clear up your PM inbox

D

·
0 Posts
Nice dude. If I had my own place I would be doing stuff around the house whenever I had a chance. Unfortunately I'm still living at home...

·
PbF Administrator
3,361 Posts
Yea I know what you mean. Most of the cups in our cabinet are hot box pizza cups and none of us ever eat there. Mad Mushroom is where its at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts