Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VS2 and play woodsball. I am concerned about the overall size, because I need to become really small when hiding. Right now I have the stock barrel (12 inch I think) and it's smooth on the inside. I want a rifled barrel so my paintballs get some spin. I was looking at some hammerheads. I don't think I want anything much longer than 14 inch. Should I get a counter bored muzzle (i.e. a Hammerhead) or something else? What do you think? I am open to any and all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
To be honest, rifling does no good for paintballs. If you don't like the stock barrel, get yourself a $30 J&J Ceramic barrel. VERY good quality, inexpensive, and you will never be sorry.

Now the reason that rifling is useless in paintball:

1. The paintball is round. Putting spin only works on a more oblong (bullet-shaped) object as the spin can help create aerodynamic lift.
2. The paintball is filled with liquid. This liquid's inertial will VERY quickly nullify any spin that the rifling was able to put on the ball.
3. More often than not, the paintball isn't a perfect fit...which means the rifling might not even be making CONTACT with the paintbal, and therefore do absolutely nothing.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
J&J Caramic if you want a one piece barrel, some well established barrel kit if you want something you can match your paint size with your bore

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess I may trust you with the ceramic barrel. I am looking for a 14 inch barrel. I think the barrel you suggested is awesome but I also saw a Dye two piece barrell—alluminum front and stainless steel back to give the ball good acceleration while silencing it at the end. What do you think?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
A barrel won't give you more acceleration though. That all comes down to the air behind the paintball.

No barrel makes you shoot harder, or shoot farther (while giving you any usable distance).

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
While technically true, a smoother bore will allow for less friction when matched well, which will allow you to use LESS air to achieve the same velocity, which will allow you to have slightly better efficiency. I'm assuming that's what they're trying to advertise, just that it offers a lower coefficient of drag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are indeed true tlmiller :)

Just clarifying that a piece of glorified pipe doesn't do magical things :tup
Alright. I'll decide between the two. I think I will probably get the J&J Ceramic barrel. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts