Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You dont understand how bad i want it. my computer meets the reccomended requirements, EXCEPT video memory. my video card blows: 64mb, they are asking for 256 (minimum) and 512 (maximum). so im gonna save up and bid on a cheap 256. anyone have any decent or i guess good, 256 cards? i prefer NVIDIA because i hear ATi has alot of probems. also: i look on websites, and ill see one 256 for like 130$ and another 256 for like 400$ can you tell me why?

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
wait the minimum is a 256mb card? wtf thats way too high
secondly, ati>nvidia
lastly, some cards are just faster than others, and they also have better video capabilities, thats why there is such a price gap. And remember, just because its 256 mb doesnt make it a great card

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
A - No, I believe the minimum is 64MB, but a GOO 64MB card. 128 is more commonplace than 256, seeing as 256MB of VRAM isn't really needed, and there isn't a card to my knowledge that has 512MB of VRAM.

Nextly, it's all hype over which card to buy. For HL2, Nvidia is NOT the way to go, considering Nvidia uses OpenGL for it's rendering path, and HL2 has no OpenGL support. Since that's the case, there is noticable slow down from an Nvidia card vs an ATi card in HL2. Especially since HL2 was BUILT AROUND ATi graphics. That's saying something.

Finally, get a ATi Radeon 9800pro for $197 at newegg. It might be a little bit more, but it's the best bang for your buck right now, unless you want to go with an Nvidia 6800GT, which I don't think is what you want to do.

And all the **** about ATi having problems is made up. ATi problems are caused by stupid users.

·
Banned
1,346 Posts
ja...ur a total noob...a total uber noob.

first off...there is no such thing as a 512 mb graphics card nice try but no.

second...the onboard ram on the graphics card in no way determens how fast the card is. A perfect example is the nvideo 5200 (i bleieve thats the number). its a older graphics card...with a added 256 mb of ram. It does hardly NOTHING. they just did that to trick noobs like urself into buying it.

next...ATI blows nivdia out of the water...and for the simple fact that was already stated. nvidia uses open GL...open gl is so old and no one uses it any more...all new games use direct X. also ati has never had problems with its cards...they work fine

also...the creaters of HL2 spicificly said that they are gonna make this game able to play on lower end comptuers. they said they will have the awsome graphcis for hiher end computers...however u will be abel to turn down the graphics for normal computers.

there are still no definate specs out for the game also...however it is estimated the min. will be a 64 mb graphics card...256 mb of ram...and liek a 1 ghz CPU...and the suggested requirements are 128 mb graphics card....512 mb of ram...and 2 ghz processor.....

dont hold me to those specs cuz im trying to remeber them from a mag. i read.

and the reason u see 1 256 mb for a real low price and another for a high...is to fool people like yourself.

if u want a good system...u need to get EVERYTHING to the same level...u cant have a awsome CPU and a bad graphics card...the card will slow it down

a good system for the new games would probably be this...

2.8 ghz cpu
radeon 9600 pro
1 gig of ram

then of course a decent hard drive and mother board.

my setup ran the leaked doom 3 demo fairly well...considering it was still a BETA and the bugs havnt been worked out.

my specs:

AMD athalon 2800 ( soon to be 3200 )
radeon 9800 pro
1 gig of ram
seagate serial ATA hard drive
asus nforce 2 deluxe motherboard

·
Banned
1,346 Posts
lol...well u were saying all ur info like it was cold hard facts...u shoould have said u heard it from a site...

and u are a noob...u just admited it yourself...u said u dont kno much about graphics cards...that makes u a noob to graphics cards...so i had a valid reason to call u a noob lol

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was loking at my hardware, and my video card is a geforce4 mx 420. it's a good card actually now that i think about it. it handled far cry on medium settings, it handled Knights of the Old Republic VERY well. my friend has a 128 card and mine runs better than his and his computer was brand new when he got kotor. im thinking i just need the radeon 9800 pro like prophet said. i didnt know they designed the game so lower end computers can handle it too.

·
Banned
1,346 Posts
well wat are ur other computer specs ja289?

graphics card should be the last thing to upgrade...if u want a good computer...u need everything to be even. U cant have a pentium 2 with a radeon 9800 pro and 1 gig of memory...it will still suck.

so wat r ur specs...maybe i can help u out on tellin u wat to upgrade.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wants hl2... Plus i get a free copy, yaa for me!! My new comp specs:
Athlon 2200+ at 2.0 Ghz
Ati Radeon 9600SE
Asus something motherboard
512 megabytes ram
80gig hd.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
ja289 said:
55 gb hardrive (i have a spare 45 that i tried to hook up, but my computer wouldnt read it)
Did you set the jumpers correctly? And did you set up the new hard drive in BIOS? It should read it, almost all comps can support two hard drives.

-Jin

·
Registered
119 Posts
o my gosh my new computer im gettinis gonna be s0000 l337 and r34dee 4 hl2 :D

j/k j/k but im gettin a new system heres teh specs

amd 64 3200+
still deciding on either nivida 6800 gt or ati Radeon 800xt
1024 ram :)))))
19 flat screen w00t0rz teh h00t0rz

·
Registered
119 Posts
thnx man iv been askin around on diffrent forums and i dont get replies , thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts