Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my own marker and I'd like to get something like a Tippmann 98 custom, but I want to get a cheaper gun just to toy around with and practice shooting and then decide if I really want to drop $100+ on a decend semi-auto marker.

I wanted to buy buy a cheap gun to practice shooting, so I figured the logical choice should be a pump gun. They're mechanically simpler and so one would THINK they'd be significantly cheaper. I saw a pump marker at walmart for like $30 bucks. It "looked" fairly respectible as far as I could tell (cuz some of those cheap pump guns literally look like children's toys). So what's up with the Phantom markers and such costing more than a decent semi-auto marker. What does a phantom have that a Brass Eagle tiger shark or other cheaper pump marker doesn't have?

At the end of the day, there's only 3 things I want from any paintball marker. Does a Phantom do any of these things better than a low-end pump marker:

1) Shoot a paintball at approx. 275 fps when I pull the trigger.
2) Shoot reasonably straight.
3) Don't jam or misfire or explode paintballs too much.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You get what you pay for. Period.
Any of the pumps you buy from Walmart are useless.
1) They are preset. You have no control over velocity. They will shoot about 250ish, and do so inconsistently.
2) The barrels are made of plastic. Need I say more?
3) Thats not much of an issue with pumps in any case, once you get used to the pump action.
Also, if anything breaks, there's nothing you can do about it. THey are made entirely out of plastic and you can't buy parts for them.

If you just want something to mess around with, find a cheap tracer or maverick on ebay or something. If you want to do some serious pump play, you can't get much better than a phantom.

edit: THe reason Phantoms cost so much is quality. They are built EXTREMELY well. Some of the finest craftsmanship you will ever see. Everytime I break my down to clean it I'm just amazed at how great it is.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Phantoms are nice as heck. I am getting one with a trade. Walmart stuff will never work that good for you because of how cheaply made it is. THe only decent thing they ever sell there is the Tippmann 98 custom. The Brass eagle pumps will tend to break down because of how bad they are. If you are looking to play pump, the phantom is the way to go. If you are looking for a reliable mechanical gun that shoots semi the Tippmann 98 custom is just for you.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Horrible things will happen to you. =)
...Just kidding.

Basically "pics or shens" or any form of it means that they won't believe you until proof is provided, usually pictures with an explination.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I love phantoms, but I can't think of any way that you could put $950 worth of parts on one.

VCS PHantom-$240
One piece feed-$70
Stiffi Kit-$120
Ghost ring site-$20
Grips-$30
Stock-$45
Trigger shoe-$5
Anno Job-$120
3.5oz tank-$30

Thats under $700, including the price of the phantom, and an anno job.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I am actually very interested to see how it looks. Can you also include specs with a price tag next to each part? And if any parts are custom made include (custom) next to them. Dont forget to add pics to the picture stickey as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My first experience in panit ball I had a walmart eagle pump. every one else had semis and we were playin woodsball. The first three rounds I got SLAUGHTERED then the fourth I got lucky and got someone. He had a phantom he let me use it while he was down. GET A REAL PUMP or save your money and get a semi. There is no comparison if you go pump especially against semis you need a good one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
do i get jsut one setup, or do i include all 3 of my barrels and stuff like that? cause i have multiples of jsut about every part

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Get a pic of just the gun, multiple angles so we can bask in its glory. Then get 1 super pic with everything lying together in 1 pic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
splatwithhonor3 said:
absolute shens.
List $950 of parts.
Ive seen a over a thousand put inot numerous phantoms. Punishers does a lot of pricey work. Now Im not saying that he has it but its deffinetly not possible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts