Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In two days, I have accumulated all of this free Google merchandise.
Total:
2 x large black long sleeve shirts (not pictured)
4 x small black long sleeve shirts (1 not pictured)
1 x large blue short sleeve shirt
1 x medium blue short sleeve shirt
2 x small girls blue short sleeve shirt
3 x green Google mouse pads (1 not pictured)
3 x Google white boards (1 not pictured)
1 x Google career pack
Plus a bunch of pizza and pop (not pictured)

Google came to RIT yesterday, where they gave away a ton of stuff. Then today I got more Google shirts in a Honors seminar.

So basically, Google owns. I know you're all jealous, I would be too. :hug:

-Jin

P.S. When I'm working for Google, send me an e-mail and I'll ship out free shirts.

·
Pedobear Supporter
2,526 Posts
Yeah I heard somewhere that basically to find employees they put an incredibly hard problem of some sort on a billboard and the first people to get the correct answer are offered a job (of course, they have to look at the resume and crud, they dont get a free walk from there)

Not sure if that's true or not. I know it was for a while... There was one of the billboards up in Atlanta.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't heard of that, but I suppose it's not impossible. It's definitely not an easy place to get hired by any means, but you don't have to be a super genius to get the job (though it probably doesn't hurt). I'm planning on applying for a co-op, and if I get that then I'm basically guaranteed a job.

Some things about Google that are true:
-Free gourmet meals whenever you want
-Snack stations every so many feet
-Cabinets that they randomly load with free t-shirts
-Health benefits (gyms, pools, medical/dental/life/vision insurance
-Extremely flexible work hours (no 40 hour weeks - it's based on end results)
-No management review: you get reviewed by your peers!
-Annual ski trip, summer picnic, holiday parties, company movie days
-Company roller hockey, ping pong, basketball, tennis, frisbee, etc etc
-401(k), stock options, maternity & paternity leave
-20% time for engineers (20% of your time working is free time for any project you want to research - PAID)

And in the Mountain View headquarters, they have three huge screens that have live projections of what people are currently searching for on Google.

-Jin

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, and the best part of the whole night came during the Q&A session. You see, Google is generally extremely secretive about what they have planned for the future. So this kid raises his hand, and asks the following question:

"Um, yeah, if Google has continually denied working on a Google Operating System, then can you please explain why in the information booklet you gave us it specifically says you're looking to hire software engineers with experience writing kernels?"

The kid who was answering the questions just kind of told us he wasn't allowed to talk about anything. :dodgy:

-Jin

·
Cold Fusion...
2,466 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Oh yeah, and the best part of the whole night came during the Q&A session. You see, Google is generally extremely secretive about what they have planned for the future. So this kid raises his hand, and asks the following question:

"Um, yeah, if Google has continually denied working on a Google Operating System, then can you please explain why in the information booklet you gave us it specifically says you're looking to hire software engineers with experience writing kernels?"

The kid who was answering the questions just kind of told us he wasn't allowed to talk about anything. :dodgy:

-Jin
lol.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I don't support Vista. When they stop making patches for XP in two years I'll get linux or something else.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
Torch said:
I don't support Vista. When they stop making patches for XP in two years I'll get linux or something else.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing in one of my classes. We get to build a machine and install Linux (for free). I just got to play around with Vista and had a good time doing it, the visual effects are awesome. I heard my professor talking to a student about dual processing also, so who knows? But I'm pretty sure that within the next few years, computers are going to be insanely efficient.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Sittin_duk said:
Yeah, that's what I'm doing in one of my classes. We get to build a machine and install Linux (for free). I just got to play around with Vista and had a good time doing it, the visual effects are awesome. I heard my professor talking to a student about dual processing also, so who knows? But I'm pretty sure that within the next few years, computers are going to be insanely efficient.
You can use visual effects that are just as nice or better than vista's with linux. The only "effect" I want or have any use for is transparency (drop shadows look nice, though). I have that and I'm happy with it.

I remember once reading something about the proposed Google OS that it would be built on a Linux kernel but the interface would be really "user friendly." I don't know how much truth there would be to this, but it sounded realistic when I read it.

EDIT: Upon reading part of some of those articles linked, it appears something similar is brought up.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
TonyD said:
You can use visual effects that are just as nice or better than vista's with linux. The only "effect" I want or have any use for is transparency (drop shadows look nice, though). I have that and I'm happy with it.
Really? I've never used Linux, I've been using Windows since who knows, but like I said earlier, we'll be installing it on my new computer. I'm looking forward to using it and learning how to.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts