Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Vice & Protoge have the pillow bolt, that ensure a good seal with the ball, and thus quiets down some of the sound.

Marq's shot so similarly to spools, that's why they're quiet. And they have that pillow bolt again.

Angels not really too sure why. But damn do they shoot nice. IMO, take a magno'd A1 over an Ego 8 any day. And once I get my 2 magno kits, I will have. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Vice & Protoge have the pillow bolt, that ensure a good seal with the ball, and thus quiets down some of the sound.

Marq's shot so similarly to spools, that's why they're quiet. And they have that pillow bolt again.

Angels not really too sure why. But damn do they shoot nice. IMO, take a magno'd A1 over an Ego 8 any day. And once I get my 2 magno kits, I will have. :D
The pillow bolt in the vice and marq series does not create an air seal. The pillow part is in the center of the bolt, and the air travels past the rubber pillow on the outside of the rubber pillow. So I am pretty sure the pillow would not have anything to do with making the gun quiter. I think it has something to do with the size of the hole in the valve that the poppet is in. Also I liked my Angel 1's also. Had 3 of them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
protege and vice are the same gun with different milling, and a different board, and it does not come with a pillow bolt, and it is no where near as loud as a ego. Also even without the pillow they are quiter than the ego's. No one really knows why the egos are so loud. My guess is the hole in the valve is bigger, and allows more air into it or causes some sort of sound distortion or magnification, but that is just a theory.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
The pillow causes less area for air to escape there fore more goes back into the bolt so less noise.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The pillow causes less area for air to escape there fore more goes back into the bolt so less noise.
What do you mean more air goes "back" into the bolt?

When the bolt goes forward the pillow hits the ball and pushes it forward, and the air goes around the sides of the pillow. So the face of the bolt probably does not even touch the ball unless the lpr is turned up super high and the bolt is moving really fast. If you took the bolt out and held it upright and set a ball on the pillow you would see what I am talking about.

None of this discussion we are having on here explains why the ego is so loud though. Any body got a clue what makes them so loud? Not what makes other guns quiter.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
When the gun is cycled the air hits the ball, and a little that hits the ball gets suctioned back into the system, which is why you get less efficiency when your dry firing because there is nothing for the air to hit to say "bounce" back into the system.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When the gun is cycled the air hits the ball, and a little that hits the ball gets suctioned back into the system, which is why you get less efficiency when your dry firing because there is nothing for the air to hit to say "bounce" back into the system.
I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE WRONG. I am not saying you are wrong, but where did you get that information? Also if there is some air going back into the bolt where does it go?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Bigger hole in the valve means air flows easier and more flows so you can lwoer the OP, but efficiency is lost(The HP valve for SLs has a smaller hole, the LP valve has a bigger hole).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts