Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't KNOW the answer, don't reply, Thanks :)

What is the advantage of Nitrogen vs common Air?

Our air/gas supplier said they are about the same price per tank.

Nitro has less water in the gas, but why do you advanced players perfer it over air? :shrug:

Thanks, GEE

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well as you said pure nitrogen doesn't have any water in it while compressed air does, that is the same reason raceteams use nitrogen in the tires instead of air, because it stays more consistent. Although many shops fill using compressed air since it is cheaper. I have even heard of some people using Argon instead of Nitrogen since it is one of the most stable inert gas you can get.

·
Banned
376 Posts
they have come to call the tanks nitro tanks althought alot of fields/shops fill them with compressed air all the shops/field around here do atleast

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
Really, nitro doesn't have that much of an advantage over compressed air.

After all, the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen anyway. The difference in performance is likely to be very minimal, if even noticeable, so I've always filled mine up with CA. This same thing came up a while ago in the tire industry- I remember hearing on the radio "fill up your tires with something better than air- NITROGEN!". Then I remembered that 78% stat and laughed at it.

If those trace gasses really do make a difference, I don't see how water would play a part...21% of the rest of the air we breathe is OXYGEN, and water vapor only makes up a tiny fraction of that leftover 1%.

I'm no chemist, but the whole nitrogen thing seems to be a dumb ploy just to make more money. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone that knows better (HP for sure), but from what I DO know there really isn't a difference. If there was such a difference in the two (CA and N2) you wouldn't be able to use the same tank (think of Co2 tanks vs HPA tanks).

·
12,110 Posts
DuoDSG said:
If those trace gasses really do make a difference, I don't see how water would play a part...21% of the rest of the air we breathe is OXYGEN, and water vapor only makes up a tiny fraction of that leftover 1%.
That being said.. It only takes a little bit of water to set off sodium metal. Just takes a few drops to short circut a board. Only takes a few drops of oil and you can make a sheen a few hundred yards long adn wide on teh ocean.

I dont thing the difference is that much. You might get a little bit of consistancy over air, but I dont think it matters much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts