Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..are macs so damn expensive? I went through and picked the stuff that I would buy and here it is:

MacBook Pro, 17-inch, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
Part Number: Z0CP
1GB 667 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM
Accessory Kit
SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
MacBook Pro 17-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
120GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days
$2,799.00

AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro/PowerBook (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
Part Number: S2304Z/A
Estimated Ship: 1-2 business days
$349.00

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
Part Number: MA272LL/A
Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days
$69.00

AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)
Part Number: M8799LL/A
Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours
$199.00

Brenthaven Pro 15-inch/17-inch Backpack
Part Number: TC459LL/A
Estimated Ship: 5-7 weeks
$179.95

Total?

Cart Subtotal: $3,595.95

Dammit I need a job...

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Two reasons:

1.)Apple is the only one making Macs. You can't buy a Mac anywhere else. Compare that to buying your average Windows-based PC: Dell, Gateway, HP, etc all compete with each other.

2.)Also, consider the 'cool' factor. It's the same reason why a pair of jeans at A&F costs $80+ when you can get a pair of equally functioning jeans at K-Mart for $20.

-Jin

·
Big Props to L. Ron
1,130 Posts
actually macs are nothing like a&f cause macs suck

its expensive because its supposed to be good for media editing which is why i could only see getting a mac if you were like an extreme video editor or producer or something

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spy327 said:
actually macs are nothing like a&f cause macs suck

its expensive because its supposed to be good for media editing which is why i could only see getting a mac if you were like an extreme video editor or producer or something
My 9th grade Biology teacher had a name for people like you.

PC Weenies.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Macs own. THe only reason people think they suck is because they couldnt really play that many games. But now with Boot camp, which allows you to boot into XP for those of you who dont know what it is, you can play games just fine through windows. Plus they have very few viruses made for mac, so there is less chance of getting a virus. Overall OSX is better, and I would use it if I had extra cash.

All you PC weenies(lol) should just shush.

·
Almost leet
1,999 Posts
mspainter said:
Yeah price is what steered me away from getting one lol. Instead i got a Dell.

fo sho all the stuff u listed get pwned by a 1300 dollar dell computer.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
big_balla89 said:
Dells blow... Period.
Truth.

My old Dell stopped working. Like wouldn't get past the gigantic DELL bootloader screen(couldn't get into cmos or anything). Being somewhat pissed off, I call their customer service, sit on hold for 10 mins. Finally some Indian guy answers "Hallo" with an accent that I can hardly understand, then he said something that sounded like "service tag" so I took a guess and read mine to him. He responded with "your warranty is up. I cannot help you." and hung up on me.

How can Dell expect customers to buy another PC with customer service like that? With a free flat-panel upgrade? :tdown

·
Almost leet
1,999 Posts
my xps 700 owns all... lol jk i only got a 400. but still dell is good if u take the time when u get it to delete all the retarded stuff and then customize it to your fancy.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Cocker16 said:
fo sho all the stuff u listed get pwned by a 1300 dollar dell computer.

Except for the fact that you are still using windows...and you have a dell...

The reason that that particular mac cost so much is because you got all the absolute best stuff. A 17 inch laptop is usually expensive...

I will admit tho, macs are usually a little higher priced compared to PC, but like Jin said, apple is the only one who makes them, so there is no competition to bring prices down. I am willing to pay the extra price because I much prefer using OSX over XP.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Macs could always boot XP, just as a PC has always been able to boot Mac OS.

It's just most people don't know how to do it or don't have a need for two OSs.

-Jin
so..

how do I put OS X on my PC?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts